Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pump tripping circuit breaker.

Options
  • 21-07-2020 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

At the weekend the feed to the garage kept tripping.
    By isolating and turning things on one at a time i narrowed it down to the feed to the treatment unit/septic tank.
    That has an air pump and a sump pump. Same procedure plug them in one at a time and found the sump pump causing the thing to trip.
    Here is where it goes odd.
    New pump installed today, exact same pump as the old one, and it trips the breaker.
    Can breakers go faulty? Or am i missing something else?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

sundodger5 wrote: »
    By isolating and turning things on one at a time i narrowed it down to the feed to the treatment unit/septic tank.
    That has an air pump and a sump pump. Same procedure plug them in one at a time and found the sump pump causing the thing to trip.
    New pump installed today, exact same pump as the old one, and it trips the breaker.
    Any advice appreciated.

Did you check the cable going to the pump for damage before connecting it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Any advice appreciated.

Breakers can go faulty, buts it’s not that common, and what you describe is not a very typical manner of failure either.
    Is is an MCB or RCBO that is tripping?
    Does it trip immediately?
    So old pump caused tripping, and no improvement when pump was replaced?
    If there is RCD protection on the circuit, there could be an issue with isolation between conductors, particularly neutral / earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Terminator.

Did you do any testing

If memory serves there's an agitator and a pump/floatswitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

aido79 wrote: »
    Did you check the cable going to the pump for damage before connecting it up?
    Cable seems ok to the treatment unit. It is aromoured cable that runs underground.
    Plus i am using a cheap smaller pump (no float switch) to pump at the moment and that does not trigger the breaker. So i have assumed the cable is not the issue.

Cable seems ok to the treatment unit. It is aromoured cable that runs underground.
    Plus i am using a cheap smaller pump (no float switch) to pump at the moment and that does not trigger the breaker. So i have assumed the cable is not the issue.

It's hard to say without a Megger/IR tester

They do trip alright, sometimes the connection at the unit let's water in

• Advertisement

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Breakers can go faulty, buts it’s not that common, and what you describe is not a very typical manner of failure either.
    Is is an MCB or RCBO that is tripping?
    Does it trip immediately?
    So old pump caused tripping, and no improvement when pump was replaced?
    If there is RCD protection on the circuit, there could be an issue with isolation between conductors, particularly neutral / earth.
    Almost instantly, as in it does try to spin up for a split second.
    Yes same issue with new pump as old pump.
    Not sure about MCB or RCBO put have attached pic. It is the one on the right that trips and not the actual garage one. just left of it. Also tried one of those plug in breakers that you may use if using an electric lawnmower. That tripped and the trip on the board.

Did you do any testing

If memory serves there's an agitator and a pump/floatswitch

Think what you refer to as the agitator is my air pump?
    The new pump i installed is just a dirty water pump with a float switch to pump to the percolation area distribution box.

Also no sign of water incursion.

Think what you refer to as the agitator is my air pump?
    The new pump i installed is just a dirty water pump with a float switch to pump to the percolation area distribution box.

Also no sign of water incursion.

Ya agitator (air) and water pump to soakaway

I don't do a lot with them , just test and get the customer to ring the company

Megger is your friend in these situations

Not sure about MCB or RCBO put have attached pic. It is the one on the right that trips and not the actual garage one. just left of it. Also tried one of those plug in breakers that you may use if using an electric lawnmower. That tripped and the trip on the board.

That’s an RCD - tripping suggests there is some leakage to earth. Think water or damaged cable. Agree with other poster - installation needs to be insulation tested. The problem could be elsewhere on the circuit and takes a load (in this case your pump) to expose it. For example poor isolation between neutral and earth.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    That’s an RCD - tripping suggests there is some leakage to earth. Think water or damaged cable. Agree with other poster - installation needs to be insulation tested. The problem could be elsewhere on the circuit and takes a load (in this case your pump) to expose it. For example poor isolation between neutral and earth.

If a ran an extension lead out to the tank and plugged in to that? If no trip i have an issue with the underground cable somewhere?

• Advertisement

If a ran an extension lead out to the tank and plugged in to that? If no trip i have an issue with the underground cable somewhere?

Yes, that wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.

Ran out an extension lead from the kitchen, plugged it in and....it tripped.
    So no closer to a solution.

What's at the treatment unit

Is it just a connection and the aerator and the water pump

It shouldn't be that hard to figure it out without the IR tester

Atmoured cable into the unit feeds a double IP56 scocket.
    Pump and aerator plug in to there.
    If you think the only way forward is an IR tester i will have to call in someone
    Only thing i have is a multimeter as i am not an electrician.
    Swopping out the pump amd wiring the plug for it was what i hoped would fix it.
    Time for an expert?

Shouldn't be much to it

Check for damp around the socket, and trial and error with the pump and aerator

The IR tester is a different ballgame , that will solve it quickly but it takes experience to use it

That would be pretty good evidence that the fault lies in whatever you plugged into the extension lead. For completeness, maybe try plugging in your electric kettle into the extension lead and confirm that it starts to boil with no tripping.

What model multimeter do you have?

Best guess at this stage would be water ingress into the pump/connected wiring somewhere. You should be able to see that with a quick ohms test between L/E and N/E using your multimeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That is closer to a solution. It means its unlikely the cable. It was unlikely anyway, as damaged cable will usually cause trips from other loads elsewhere, or itself if it is a Phase to E short in the cable.

Plugging the kettle into the lead is not a bad idea, something I used to suggest in similar situations before. After that, it is almost certainly a problem in the motor itself.

I have a UNI-T UT58A and the cheap auto range one from Lidl. Parkside PDM 200 C2.
    Will try the kettle a bit later.
    New pump faulty is a possibility i suppose, i think the fact it is acting the same as the old one is throwing me a bit.
    Not sure on the water thing. Everything is bone dry and as the pump is pre wired that should not be an issue?
    Only thing i did was shorten the cable, routed it through the waterproof connection, put on a plug and plugged it in.

I have a UNI-T UT58A and the cheap auto range one from Lidl. Parkside PDM 200 C2.
    New pump faulty is a possibility i suppose, i think the fact it is acting the same as the old one is throwing me a bit.
    Not sure on the water thing. Everything is bone dry and as the pump is pre wired that should not be an issue?
    Only thing i did was shorten the cable, routed it through the waterproof connection, put on a plug and plugged it in.

Try ohms test on the plug pins, from L to E, and N to E, see if anything comes up.

On a manual range meter, I would be doing it in the megaohm ranges and work down if anything comes up. Dont touch pins with fingers as this can give reading on meters set in the high ohms ranges.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Try ohms test on the plug pins, from L to E, and N to E, see if anything comes up.

On a manual range meter, I would be doing it in the megaohm ranges and work down if anything comes up. Dont touch pins with fingers as this can give reading on meters set in the high ohms ranges.

What's the multimeter like for IR testing?

Hard to beat the voltage out of the Megger for showing up faults

• Advertisement

What's the multimeter like for IR testing?

Hard to beat the voltage out of the Megger for showing up faults

Megger is good because it will show up when conductors are microns apart but not touching, on the 1000v setting etc.

Multimeter wont show that up, but will show up water ingress into connections and that, as there is not a gap there forming a barrier.

Megger is good because it will show up when conductors are microns apart but not touching, on the 1000v setting etc.

Multimeter wont show that up, but will show up water ingress into connections and that, as there is not a gap there forming a barrier.
    Ya hard to beat the 1000v

Sometimes you can hear the fault too

Ya hard to beat the 1000v

Sometimes you can hear the fault too

Yes its a great setup for testing.

L to E .620 M ohms Similar N to E and for the craic L to N 16.5 ohms.
    Although a previous reading gave .840 M ohms E to N and L.

Wiring passed the kettle test although herself not impressed with me plugging the kettle in down there.

Yes its a great setup for testing.

I was trying to remember today the voltages for troubleshooting an installation with appliances in-situ

250v you can check across L N E

If you go to 500v you link across N-E

I think appliances have a rating that allows the higher voltage?

I'd use 250v for trouble shooting usually when I was at that. If nothing, step it up after isolating appliances probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Unlikely but presume that the plug is wired correctly after shortening the cable.

John.G wrote: »
    Unlikely but presume that the plug is wired correctly after shortening the cable.

Yes, Earth to top pin (yellow/green). Live (Brown) to Right (FUSE). Neutral (Blue) to the left. As you look at the open plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Why is your garage on a Type D MCB? I'm presuming it is to run a welder or something, but a Type D isn't really suitable for a domestic installation. Also the Earth fault loop impedance may be excessive to ensure disconnection times are met (notwithstanding the RCD present).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Perhaps disconnect the pump and check if the cable can be energized ok

Advertisement