Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP rated transformer for bathroom LEDs

Options
  • 27-07-2020 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have a bathroom mirror similar to this one, in that it tilts and is not fixed to the wall.
    Without measuring, i'd say its about 2 inches of space behind it.

There is a power cable behind the mirror intended for a light or a demister pad but one was never installed - it looks like T&E terminated in a chocblock and wrapped in tape. I presume it is switched with the ceiling lights (6x LED GU10 6w spots)

I've been thinking of installing some 12v led strip lighting on the back of the mirror and am wondering what is required to do it the right way in a bathroom

i.e.

Can I mount an IP44 rated transformer/driver like this on the wall with adhesive (don't want to drill tile)?

The LV wires will be super thin so can i use these on the driver output and maintain the ip44 rating? should I silicone it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a mirror with them fitted and it will be correct rating to fit in a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Get a mirror with them fitted and it will be correct rating to fit in a bathroom.

I do get where you're coming from and it would make sense if I was doing this in new build/during a renovation.

I wanted the LEDs for some desk lighting anyways though and just realised i'd have enough left over that I could do the mirror too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Extra precautions should be considered in a location such as a bathroom due to the higher risk. IP44 is quite a low rating for such an environment. It may be an idea to consider a plastic enclosure with a higher IP rating to prevent ingress of moisture and indirect contact with live parts.

I would also question whether this is compatible with the LEDs you have in mind. Generally an LED driver is used rather than a transformer.

From a legal perspective this type of work should only be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

2011 wrote: »
    From a legal perspective this type of work should only be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor.

I've just had a look at the charter and was surprised to learn about the extent of Registered Electrical Works - I had seen some stuff before on UK forums with references to a 'competent person' and hoped similar may apply here.

As per my previous posts I was hoping to do this on the cheap (but safe) but now it appears that won't be possible!

Would installing a mirror with built in LEDs using the existing cable be permitted work for a DIYer?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jumbone wrote: »
    I've just had a look at the charter and was surprised to learn about the extent of Registered Electrical Works - I had seen some stuff before on UK forums with references to a 'competent person' and hoped similar may apply here.

There is a lot a competent person can do here but there is also a lot they are not permitted to do. Many parts of this only make sense from a revenue collection perspective in the option of many.
    Would installing a mirror with built in LEDs using the existing cable be permitted work for a DIYer?

Strictly speaking this would not be permitted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement