Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Control Backed Up.... AND!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Came through there today about 1pm. The long Q was for non EU citizens only. They had staff going along telling people with EU passports to keep going through. They had the electronic gates open too. Only took us about 15 minutes from getting off the plane to getting through passport control.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He’s over dept of transport. Transport includes roads sea and air

Well that's me told off lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Allinall wrote: »
    Is there not passport checks in UK airports for Irish flights?

Nope, in Heathrow & Gatwick you just walk off the plane and out of the airport. Manchester bus you to the baggage re-claim. Some of the smaller airport, eg Leeds-Bradford have random checks before of the size of the airport. They check non-EU passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Allinall wrote: »
    Is there not passport checks in UK airports for Irish flights?

They don’t check every passenger but I’m fairly sure they’re there.

Suppose it’s up to each country to put in place their own checks. However, it’s a bit of a stretch to say there is free travel between Ireland and the Uk.

In effect, you need to be able to prove you’re entitled to free travel, which normally means producing a passport.

Nope you get off the flight and brought straight through to the arrivals hall. I do it every two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Well that's me told off lol :D

Ah no I don’t mean it like that sorry

I just am typing on a phone so kept it brief !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He’s over dept of transport. Transport includes roads sea and air

Justice are responsible for passport control.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Never had any issue in Dublin airport. Max 5 minute wait. Plenty of officers on duty and also the electronic gates were open.

I even left my passport in my handheld luggage last week and they let me through with just my driving licence!!

Ah no I don’t mean it like that sorry

I just am typing on a phone so kept it brief !!

No worries, I wasn't getting at you at all. Just having a rant and a laugh.

Something needs to be sorted though.

Justice are responsible for passport control.

. I am talking about any airport upgrades

Someone was saying about a new hall for Uk arrivals

That’s the daa and dept of transport to get on wirh

No worries, I wasn't getting at you at all. Just having a rant and a laugh.

Something needs to be sorted though.

Ah yeah no I agree

• Advertisement

Anyone know why Dublin stopped using police at the passport control? The police used to be much more efficient.

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone know why Dublin switched from using police at the passport control? The police used to be much more efficient.

They hardly checked is why lol

They just waved everyone threw

My passport was never once checked going back into Dublin until about 4 years ago

From circa 1990-circa 2015 no one ever checked me or asked me anything.

This includes coming and going to England and Europe and two trips to the states.

Could have been literally anyone but nobody checked. At the time I didn’t give a fiddlers. I was threw and out to carpark

Complete Open borders back then it seems :/

Edit-I’m with my missus and she says same with her over the years. Shambles
    Is it any wonder we had so many ppl claiming asylum from late 90s on

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone know why Dublin stopped using police at the passport control? The police used to be much more efficient.

Designed to free the police up to protect us in our homes and communities rather than sitting in an airport.

Worked great. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

DFA as far as I know are in charge of passport control. Apologies if I am wrong.

Lord Ross is in charge of transport to and from the airport and everywhere else, and has played a blinder, huh. :)

The Department of Justice and their new civilian agency INIS are the competent authority for passport control in the state.

Yurt! wrote: »
    The Department of Justice and their new civilian agency INIS are the competent authority for passport control in the state.

Inis ain’t new.

Been on the go since around 2000 if not longer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,496 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hundreds of people outraged by being in a queue for an hour. Obviously not the same people who queue overnight for a concert ticket, or a cheap TV.

Hundreds of people outraged by being in a queue for an hour. Obviously not the same people who queue overnight for a concert ticket, or a cheap TV.

Well to be fair, it is a pain being denied entry to your OWN country whilst in a Q with every other EU entrant.

I got the hump recently because of this. Was a bit miffed that an EU Q means someone else gets in front of me with an EU passport just like mine, even though I am entering my own country.

Brexit! lol.

You can understand people's frustration. There is no need for a hold up like that.

The Ryanair policy of producing a passport is an unnecessary hindrance.

At passport control? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,496 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maybe some of the staff were having a day off on the Public Holiday.

The Ryanair policy of producing a passport is an unnecessary hindrance.

Ryan air make ppl have the passport to get on the plane yes

Saw a few ppl arguing with them over it a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I even left my passport in my handheld luggage last week and they let me through with just my driving licence!!

In the days of the yellow stickers I volunteered to have everything taken to the hold. I arrived back with zero ID in my pockets, yep I was a disorganized fool. No passport, no wallet, nothing. Just the boarding card on my phone. Refugee hehe

The guys just asked my name and address and one or two questions and waved me through, sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Going to be some lols to be had when British have to go through non EU queues after Brexit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Just seems crazy that within a "Common Travel Area" passengers travelling between the UK and Ireland are required to queue at Passport Control to have their passports checked . It's not even a legal requirement to carry a passport travelling from the UK .
    Surely there's a way to direct these passengers straight to the baggage hall ( where a random document check could be carried out as in the UK ) and simply clear customs and exit .

Just seems crazy that within a "Common Travel Area" passengers travelling between the UK and Ireland are required to queue at Passport Control to have their passports checked . It's not even a legal requirement to carry a passport travelling from the UK .
    Surely there's a way to direct these passengers straight to the baggage hall ( where a random document check could be carried out as in the UK ) and simply clear customs and exit .

Ryan air and aer lingus demand passports afaik

Def Ryan air anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

mikemac2 wrote: »
    In the days of the yellow stickers I volunteered to have everything taken to the hold. I arrived back with zero ID in my pockets, yep I was a disorganized fool. No passport, no wallet, nothing. Just the boarding card on my phone. Refugee hehe

The guys just asked my name and address and one or two questions and waved me through, sound :)

It must be a headache for security in arrivals in recent years. I seem to see it every time I go abroad that someone in the queue has checked their hand luggage, passport and all. They seem to just tell the person go on through in Spain, Portugal anyway and back here.

I often wonder what the passport checks are like on ferries between Ireland/UK and vice versa.

Surely if it is not as strict as at airports (maybe it is but I don't think so), it is a model for druggies, illegals and so on.

What a double standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

No passport requirement on Aer Lingus travelling from the UK.
    The airline will even accept a bus pass .

• Advertisement

No passport requirement on Aer Lingus travelling from the UK.
    The airline will even accept a bus pass .

Wasn’t sure on that but Ryan air def passport only

Advertisement