Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

They refer to 'sale and distribution'. Perhaps I should have been more specific, but they are interchangeable in the rules.

Do you actually mean OCI there? If so, I'm not sure how you're somehow distinguishing between Hickey and the OCI.

From what I understand about NOC tickets, they can be distributed or sold by the NOC to sponsors, supporters or athlete's families.

The bit I quoted said "to sell or otherwise distribute". So it's inclusive of either sales or giving them away. My point is that this covers all tickets.

I did mean OCI - including Hickey.

So what was THG then? A sponsor, a supporter or an athlete's family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ahlookit wrote: »
    "But the fillum....THE FILLUM.... Why?"

It was clearly the policeman's fault that Pat answered the door in the nip :rolleyes:

What was the line of questioning about a second passport about? Joe seemed to be suggesting it was strange, but Falcao wasn't bothered in the slightest by it. Joe obviously hasn't been reading this thread, where this was all covered the other day...
    Nothing particularly odd about that for somebody who does a lot of travelling.

How could they ever let this guy out on bail or house arrest when he has no ties to Brazil and lives in a hotel and has access to any number of Irish and maybe even other passports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How could they ever let this guy out on bail or house arrest when he has no ties to Brazil and lives in a hotel and has access to any number of Irish and maybe even other passports?

I couldnt possibly comment on the brazillian justice might or might not do. Just pointing out that having two passports is not unusual. Having three passports though would be so i think the brazillians can assume that he doesnt have another one squirrled away. I'm sure the DoFA would be happy to clarify that for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

The only imbalance in this thread are comments like that- oh, and calling people ****, as you did to me a few posts back.

I've edited this post because there was a misunderstanding, but it's been sorted out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

When he started to tell him what he should have done to get rid of the pesky media (wave his gun about) I have to say I lost it.

Then of course the story would be "Gun-toting police arrest distressed frail 71 year old man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Duffy is a pain in the a$. Some inane questions. Also language barrier and bad phone line didnt help.

Example #1:

Duffy - "Touting isnt a crime in Ireland"
    Falcao - "It is in Brazil"

Falcao said the investigation could take between 1-3 months. He's spoken to Interpol looking for help. Also wants to talk to Shane Ross to trade information.
    Duffy also asked about house arrest. Falcao said he'd have no objections, but he's not the judge, so its not his decision.

One interesting point is that Falcao said he has been working on THG since the world cup. They expected them to show up again, but had no suspicion of OCI until they found 1000 tickets belonging to OCI

I don't think I have ever heard anything quite like that interview before.
    Duffy thought he could put a foreign police chief on trial. He hectored and tried to bully him into giving the answer he wanted to hear and wouldn't let somebody who seemed to have good enough english, speak.
    Quite amazing to be honest, not the better of it yet.
    It is just a radio show and he was just asking questions. In fairness we are the ones putting Hickey on trial here. I suspect he's not innocent but has yet to be proven corrupt but the Brazilian police don't exactly have a good record in that department themselves. ...Not trying to defend anyone here Hickey or Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

It is just a radio show and he was just asking questions. In fairness we are the ones putting Hickey on trial here. I suspect he's not innocent but has yet to be proven corrupt but the Brazilian police don't exactly have a good record in that department themselves. ...Not trying to defend anyone here Hickey or Duffy.

The whole hectoring tone of the interview was hard to take.

He seemed to have real trouble grasping the fact that Brazil has different laws and processes in the criminal justice system. Its almost like its an entirely different country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The man (Duffy) is a contradiction. And he serves his own interests on the national broadcasting platform.

He, a member of the media, that chooses what he wants to take up as a crusade, was complaining because other members of the media chose what they thought important and suggested they should have had guns trained on them.

He is a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you're playing back today's Liveline on RTE player, the relevant interview starts at 57:22

Just starting to listen now, and Duffy's voice is already bugging me. All he's said is hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Listening to the interview:

Duffy keeps using the word "fillumed" when it's perfectly evident that man doesn't know what being fillumed is.
    It seems that the recording of the arrest was done by the media, not specifically authorised by the police.
    Duffy stressing 71 year old man that needed a doctor
    Special house arrest for people who are ill or over 80. Hickey's lawyers trying to get Hickey house arrest instead of prison while on remand. Falcao doesn't object to that, but it's the judge's decision.
    Dermot Hanihan (?) getting his passport back.
    Hickey must stay in Brazil to answer questions.
    Investigation will take 1-3 months, and Hickey must stay in Brazil during that time.
    Interpol has been contacted. Interpol will help. Falcao can't say what help he asked for.
    No representations from the Irish government. Falcao want help from the media to get information from the Irish government - no contact.
    Falcao has not contacted the Irish embassy in Brazil yet.
    Falcao would like to share information with Irish Government (the inquiry, Shane Ross) and also the Irish police.
    Duffy saying that a lot of people in Ireland don't think Hickey's arrest was fair, including politicians {**** off Joe}
    Brazil police treated Hickey very well, brought to hospital, etc.
    Duffy - "how long has this case been ongoing?" 2 years. James x from THG arrested.
    Hickey and Mallon were not under suspicion before the tickets were found with Mallon.
    All the tickets found were only from Ireland.
    Duffy: "why were the personal items (passport, tickets, etc) put on the table to be photographed?" It's normal to show what's been confiscated in Brazil.
    Hickey's second passport is Irish. Duffy confused about having 2 Irish passports. {Moron}
    Duffy "Do you regret that you let cameras in to fillum this 71 year old man in distress?" That's between the media and hotel security. Hickey's request to exit the hotel secretly via the basement to avoid the media was granted.

Now have the urge to punch something after listening to his voice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

In fairness the Joe, the man has to play devil's advocate when it comes to these things. It's part of his job.

That said, I haven't listened to it. Might throw it on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

stimpson wrote: »
    The bit I quoted said "to sell or otherwise distribute". So it's inclusive of either sales or giving them away. My point is that this covers all tickets.

I did mean OCI - including Hickey.

So what was THG then? A sponsor, a supporter or an athlete's family?
    It doesn't really matter what I think they are. I'd love to find it written down somewhere, who the NOCs can or can't give their tickets to.

I'm sure we'll find out in time. The email is pretty definitive on the fact of him giving tickets away (whether for money or not). What remains to be seen is whether he can or cannot do this.

The only rules that I can find are the ones governing the tickets sold through ATRs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The full embarrassment here - https://clyp.it/4io54vzg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It doesn't really matter what I think they are. I'd love to find it written down somewhere, who the NOCs can or can't give their tickets to.

I'm sure we'll find out in time. The email is pretty definitive on the fact of him giving tickets away (whether for money or not). What remains to be seen is whether he can or cannot do this.

The only rules that I can find are the ones governing the tickets sold through ATRs.

I thought it was mentioned previously that unused NOC tickets have to be returned to the IOC, cancelled and re-designated as General Sale tickets? That was why Family & Friends tickets being found among the tickets seized from Mallon was considered significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I've no doubt Joe set out in that interview thinking if he badgered this poor guy often and relentlessly enough he could get him to promise to release Hickey out of jail, if not out of Brazil, on Irish national radio, thus making Joe a national hero (in his own deluded mind anyway) and ensuring the first major interview back on home terra firma.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I thought it was mentioned previously that unused NOC tickets have to be returned to the IOC, cancelled and re-designated as General Sale tickets? That was why Family & Friends tickets being found among the tickets seized from Mallon was considered significant.
    It's hard to know excatly because the only rules I can find are for the public sales ones. I don't believe any family and friends tickets were found on Mallon (I'm told they are different from NOC tickets) but again I can't find anything to verify that.

There are only supposed to be two F&F tickets per athlete. I know that one parent said that she had to buy her ticket from Norway, but that could be because the two they got were used by other family members. Annalise Murphy had three family with her, but her father was there through the sailing people I believe.

Well I did link to the T&C's earlier. It makes fascinating reading. One group they can't give them to are unauthorised ticket sellers, especially where hospitatality packages are offered:
    9.5 Tickets may not be transferred to any Person who pays or agrees to pay for some other goods or services, such as a hospitality package or accommodation, unless authorised by Rio 2016. A Ticket may not be offered as part of a package of goods or services, which, for the avoidance of doubt, may include a hospitality package, unless authorised by Rio 2016. Tickets sold or advertised for sale (whether on their own, together or as part of a package of goods and services, including hospitality packages) contrary to this clause 9.5 may be considered void, and may be seized or cancelled. In such a case, the Ticket Holder will be denied entry to the Session and the Purchaser will not be eligible for a refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joe, quite reasonably I thought, asked him had he been in touch with the embassy. Falcao said he hadn't. That was a bit strange tbh.
    He asked if he'd been in touch with the Irish embassy in Río de Janeiro. Everyone knows that the capital of Brazil is not Río. Of course, Falcao said he had not.

Well I did link to the T&C's earlier. It makes fascinating reading. One group they can't give them to are unauthorised ticket sellers, especially where hospitatality packages are offered:
    That's the ticket sales rules I alluded to. If you follow the link that's given in Rule 1.3, it links to a list of ATRs and no NOCs are listed on that page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The full embarrassment here - https://clyp.it/4io54vzg

that man's english wasn't up to scratch and he should not have been interviewed

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

fryup wrote: »
    that man's english wasn't up to scratch and he should not have been interviewing

FYP

Joe always talks like that

It's quite embarrassing for the Brazilian police to be pleading for help from the Irish Government, on the Joe Duffy show. I find that quite extraordinary.

"That is why I want some help from the media because we need some help from the government," Falcao said.

"I know Shane Ross had a meeting with Pat Hickey but he left. I want to know the government position, the inquiry they are doing. We can trade information about this. If they want to contact the Brazilian police that would be great."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/brazil-police-no-objection-to-pat-hickey-being-moved-to-house-arrest-34995475.html

So, answers on a postcard to Mr. Investigating person, Rio Police, Downtown .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Isn't it mad how John Delaney as VP of OCI hasn't publicly addressed any of these events (afaik) so far?

Surely he'll have to make a show at next weeks game against Oman (again:confused:) to give Robbie Keane a big thank you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

humberklog wrote: »
    Isn't it mad how John Delaney as VP of OCI hasn't publicly addressed any of these events (afaik) so far?

Surely he'll have to make a show at next weeks game against Oman (again:confused:) to give Robbie Keane a big thank you?

He will say he is waiting for the judge to do his review and therefore can't comment, pretty much like everyone else involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

humberklog wrote: »

Yeah I find it strange that no politician has called on Delaney to make a statement to clarify his involvement in all of this. Also Im wondering why Mick Wallace is remaining silent given his involvement with Wexford Youths Wallace is unlikely to be a fan of Delaneys and this is a great opportunity to put him and his stewardship of the FAI under scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The money was only resting in his account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Muahahaha wrote:
    Yeah I find it strange that no politician has called on Delaney to make a statement to clarify his involvement in all of this.

All politicians are avoiding the whole thing with the exception of Ross who had to and howlin, who doesn't really count. Says a lot in my opinion.

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    All politicians are avoiding the whole thing with the exception of Ross who had to and howlin, who doesn't really count. Says a lot in my opinion.
    Jim McDaid was on drivetime this evening talking about it. Does he count?

Jim McDaid was on drivetime this evening talking about it. Does he count?
    No.
    But Jim McDaid and drivetime :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

From his lawyer in today's indo

Treatment of prisoners, and human rights in general has never been near the top of the IOCs agenda before (or the EOC of which Pat is president). I'd say some of Azerbaijan's jailed journalists and political prisoners could tell Pat a thing or two about Kafkian conditions. But then again he was too busy rubbing shoulders with the guy who put them there.

I wish someone would remind Howlin, Tubridy, Shane Coleman, et al, about this when they come out with their utterings of sympathy for Hickey. I imagine PH's jail conditions in Brazil are vastly superior to those of the jailed journalists and political prisoners in Azerbaijan. Hickey didn't care one whit about them when he was schmoozing with the corrupt ruler of that country. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I wish someone would remind Howlin, Tubridy, Shane Coleman, et al, about this when they come out with their utterings of sympathy for Hickey. I imagine PH's jail conditions in Brazil are vastly superior to those of the jailed journalists and political prisoners in Azerbaijan. Hickey didn't care one whit about them when he was schmoozing with the corrupt ruler of that country. :mad:
    Enough of that kind of talk, haven't you heard that they are now valued partners?

http://en.trend.az/azerbaijan/politics/2535336.html

Enough of that kind of talk, haven't you heard that they are now valued partners?

http://en.trend.az/azerbaijan/politics/2535336.html
    Baku is a city I'd really like to visit though. Amazing looking place.

http://baku.unaoc.org/wp-content/uploads/Downtown_of_Baku_panoramics.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it's actually typical of this country that someone in RTE decided to put that policeman on the Joe Duffy show instead of an actual news program. He absolutely should have been on either the Lunchtime news or Drivetime, instead of letting Joe play to the gallery.

Public service me bollicks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Kilty and Martin turn up in full Irish tracksuits on front of all the media to meet the detectives in Rio. Jesus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

it's actually typical of this country that someone in RTE decided to put that policeman on the Joe Duffy show instead of an actual news program. He absolutely should have been on either the Lunchtime news or Drivetime, instead of letting Joe play to the gallery.

Public service me bollicks.

Joe should have started "Commissioner you're angry "
    "no angry"
    "You're frustrated then "
    "No I'm good"
    "Confused then , you're confused...."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It's an absolute dump. Go to Georgia or Armenia instead. More to do and way cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

You might want to take a look at the standard of your own use of the English language.

Duffy was an embarrassment.

Akin to those idiots you encounter abroad who expect everything to be in English and get frustrated and shout loudly and slowly as if that will make the word "FILUM" somehow more understandable.

That's the ticket sales rules I alluded to. If you follow the link that's given in Rule 1.3, it links to a list of ATRs and no NOCs are listed on that page.

Read it again.
    1.3 'Authorized Ticket Sources’ means all official sources authorized by Rio 2016 to sell or otherwise distribute Tickets

Which includes ATRs but also tickets distributed by the NOCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

http://baku.unaoc.org/wp-content/uploads/Downtown_of_Baku_panoramics.png

I'd be careful if you did. The boxers are always saying they get robbed everytime they go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

vkid wrote: »

So you're not happy with the politicians that did comment and you're also not happy with the politicians that didn't. That says more about you then them, IMO.

brooke 2 wrote: »

You get angry because Irish people are concerned about other Irish people banged up in jail abroad? If too much empathy makes you mad, well that's very worrying TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

CFlat wrote: »
    So you're not happy with the politicians that did comment and you're also not happy with the politicians that didn't. That says more about you then them, IMO.

You get angry because Irish people are concerned about other Irish people banged up in jail abroad? If too much empathy makes you mad, well that's very worrying TBH.
    I think the poster gets angry that this concern never extended to far more deserving people who Hickey was happy enough to throw under the bus to facilitate their dirty, ugly Olympics going to duty, ugly totalitarian regimes. There certainly wasn't "too much empathy" doing the rounds back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

The Irish insider cult are more interested in Pat Hickey who has been banged up for a week rather than a certain person in Egypt who has been banged up for 3 years with no trial.

One of "us", one of "them".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

dresden8:"The Irish insider cult are more interested in Pat Hickey who has been banged up for a week rather than a certain person in Egypt who has been banged up for 3 years with no trial.

One of "us", one of "them"

Hickey is scum. Elitist, self entitled scum but "a certain person in Egypt" is a radicalized, no good, jihadist sympathizer. Far worse than that jumped up little b*ll*x Hickey.

Read it again.

Which includes ATRs but also tickets distributed by the NOCs
    And it goes on to list all those. And the list does not include NOCs.

You seem to be contending that the NOC allocation are the same as the ATR allocation. If that's the case, you're wrong. They are even marked differently.

Also Friends and Family tickets are different again. I heard an athlete on the radio this evening describe the process and they get a special number that they enter on a website and the tickets are then printed out.

dresden8:"The Irish insider cult are more interested in Pat Hickey who has been banged up for a week rather than a certain person in Egypt who has been banged up for 3 years with no trial.

One of "us", one of "them"

Hickey is scum. Elitist, self entitled scum but "a certain person in Egypt" is a radicalized, no good, jihadist sympathizer. Far worse than that jumped up little b*ll*x Hickey.

Really? Surely a trial would sort that out.

With evidence and stuff.

The Brazillians at least seem to have evidence they are willing to present.

Not so much the Egyptians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

CFlat wrote: »

CFlat! You're back! Would you like to answer my questions then? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100785163&postcount=2507

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Kilty and Martin turn up in full Irish tracksuits on front of all the media to meet the detectives in Rio. Jesus wept...
    You do know that those guys are with the team all the time? They don't go to dressed up functions or anything like that. They wouldn't need to bring suits because they'd never (normally) need them.

Sonia had Kevin Kilty's job in London. She never appeared in formal wear either.

You do know that those guys are with the team all the time? They don't go to dressed up functions or anything like that. They wouldn't need to bring suits because they'd never (normally) need them.

Sonia had Kevin Kilty's job in London. She never appeared in formal wear either.

They never expected to go to a formal meeting or function in all their time at the Olympics?

Bullshyte.

• Advertisement
Advertisement