Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holiday Weekend Heavy Rain Warning.(Spot/Local Flooding Likely)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

redsunset wrote: »
    MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Just light rain/heavy drizzle in Cork so far, barely forming puddles yet.

I don't think Cork City will get much from this, the whole thing looks to push up far enough to leave your relatively dry much later and then the rain stalls over middle of country and slowly pivots before eventually pulling away to the south east.

What?! I was looking forward to a big rain event!! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I don't think Cork City will get much from this, the whole thing looks to push up far enough to leave your relatively dry much later and then the rain stalls over middle of country and slowly pivots before eventually pulling away to the south east.

It is after getting a little heavier in the last 40 minutes or so, verging on moderate at the moment with some puddles finally forming!
    The NAE shows the heavier stuff arriving at around 6 this evening, so while the front looks like stalling a little to the north, I think we may keep some steady precip from the trailing edge and maybe squeeze ~30mm in Cork in the next 24 hours.
    I have a view of the Lee after moving into my new apartment 2 days ago, so I'll keep an eye on the water level anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

snaps wrote: »
    The radar is strange, big yellow blob over galway and mayo, but ive just driven from Galway and not a spot of rain. Sun is sort of shinning here in south mayo. people cutting their grass and all the kids are out playing.

The cloud base around the conutry is still fairly high (3,000-4,000 ft), with relatively dry air below, therefore much of the precipitation is being picked up by the radar but is evaporating before reaching the ground. This has also led to the several degrees of cooling that has occured this afternoon, and eventually this evaporative cooling will lower the cloudbase later today / tonight and therefore more of the rain will reach the ground too.

2012060212.03953.skewt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

raining here in youghal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lashing down in Cork City now :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    It is after getting a little heavier in the last 40 minutes or so, verging on moderate at the moment with some puddles finally forming!
    The NAE shows the heavier stuff arriving at around 6 this evening, so while the front looks like stalling a little to the north, I think we may keep some steady precip from the trailing edge and maybe squeeze ~30mm in Cork in the next 24 hours.
    I have a view of the Lee after moving into my new apartment 2 days ago, so I'll keep an eye on the water level anyway!

Oh don't get me wrong, you are going to get very wet and yes the latest higher resolution GFS shows that rain clearing your area towards the small hours or earlier and straddling middle of country for a prolonged period of time.

[IMG][/img]12-574_far4.GIF

The GFS Gramet for Cork shows the rain stopping around 10 pm, with around 25 mm falling from now until then.

207424.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Raining quite steady here for the past hour or so..Could be some flooding issues for the midlands if this front stalls as forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

dexter647 wrote: »
    Raining quite steady here for the past hour or so..Could be some flooding issues for the midlands if this front stalls as forecast
    Where is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

lashing and i mean lashing down here in youghal :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just 0.2mm of rain here so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    lashing and i mean lashing down here in youghal :eek:

Check the 3 hour forecast - the worse yet to come...

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp?LW=Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Limerick City hasn't started heavy rainfall yet. There's been enough "soft" drizzly light rain to saturate the soil and leave tarmac very wet. Presuming that there's more to come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Looks like i'm not going to get to cut my lawns this weekend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

12.5mm recorded at Roches Pt between 1700 and 1800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

All major models now finally agreeing on the south west receiving the most rainfall totals during the wet period.

I'm sure ye are all used to it by now anyway. Lived around there for a while and boy does it get wet at times.

12060318_0212.gif

All major models now finally agreeing on the south west receiving the most rainfall totals during the wet period.

I'm sure ye are all used to it by now anyway. Lived around there for a while and boy does it get wet at times.

12060318_0212.gif

Malin Head is looking grand!

The station in Cobh has just passed the 20mm mark http://86.43.106.118/weather/
    While Roches Point has had another 16mm in the last hour!

12-hour rainfall totals (mm) to 7 pm:

Roche's Point 38
    Valentia, Sherkin Island 18
    Cork Airport 14
    Mace Head 7
    Shannon Airport 6

Amazing difference between Roches Point and Cork Airport, which are only 16 km apart.

Su Campu wrote: »

Roche's Point 38
    Cork Airport 14
    Mace Head 7
    Shannon Airport 6

Amazing difference between Roches Point and Cork Airport, which are only 16 km apart.

On the radar loop, the strongest returns seem to be forming a line along the east of Cork Harbour.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement

Yes, a big difference in that area alright.

The aviation chart for 00Z shows the triple point just east of Limerick, with the warm front running west-east, and the cold front running Wexford-Cardiff-Le Havre, moving NE at 15 knots. The heaviest rain should occur around the triple point.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Su Campu wrote: »

Roche's Point 38
    Cork Airport 14
    Mace Head 7
    Shannon Airport 6

Extraordinary, as roches point normally has much less rainfall than the airport. Only about 60% or so according to the 1971-2000 averages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Absolutely lashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

am i right in saying its looking bad for monday?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,327 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Moderate rainfall I would guess in Loughlinstown currently, am certain there will be huge totals from this in the Wicklow mountains.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

am i right in saying its looking bad for monday?:(

No.

It looks like being the best day out of the next three to four days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Raining in Castlebar since around 4pm,nothing to heavy.Little or no wind.

Moderate rain in Cork once more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Guys,
    Any chance of a hint of what it will be like in North Louth/Cooley Mtns area for mid morning onwards 2morrow.
    A fairly big cycle on there with a fast downhill section.

Advertisement