Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Yoga would suit me?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

I am very inflexible and this is what I need to work on but I can't take the slowness of normal yoga, it plain bores me.

Thinking maybe hot yoga if it moves along quite rapidly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I do shadow - http://www.shadowyoga.com/shadowyoga.php

Its a flowing type of yoga that then leads on to the asanas.

Maybe you need this type or another flowing style like Vinyasa Flow. Have a look at people on you tube doing their practice and see which style you think you would enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great idea, I checked some out on youtube.
    Bikram hot yoga seems good on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I'm not sure that I'd recommend Bikram to a newbie, Biko. Yoga can be challenging enough when starting out, without adding in the complication of an 80 degree room!*

Two of my friends find normal (usually hatha) yoga very boring as well, but they love ashtanga. Ashtanga is a fast paced style of yoga and the continuous movement through the poses helps alleviate boredom. Vinyasa Flow is another style with a faster pace of movement, which may suit you. I'd recommend trying both before deciding on one!

I notice that people who love ashtanga also enjoy bikram, so maybe bikram could be something you progress to after a few months of practice.

Happy bending!

Thanks, both Ashtanga and Bikram seems available in Galway and I'll give both a whirl to see if they're what I need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

biko wrote: »
    Thanks, both Ashtanga and Bikram seems available in Galway and I'll give both a whirl to see if they're what I need :)

i do bikram in galway
    i find it tough, sweat bucketloads
    but feel fantastic afterwards

• Advertisement

Reporting back in case some other no0bs wonder what its like :)

Went to Hotyoga/Bikram for the first time yesterday once my bad cold had left me completely.
    Had spoken to the instructor on the phone and was asked to bring a big towel to cover the yoga mat, to not eat for 2 hours beforehand and to have drunk a lot of water so I'd be hydrated. I drank about 1.5 litres over a 2 hour period. Then maybe half a litre during the session and another 1.5 after.
    I arrived at the spot 20 mins early and already there was people waiting to get in.
    It was just me and another guy there, the rest was women - not that it matters.
    Fitness levels seemed to vary from the superfit to me and one or two newcomers that was just sitting there trying to not look too out of place :D

The instructor made us do every pose twice, which is good as you probably get it wrong the first time.
    These are the poses, it takes about 90 mins for a session, incl the relaxation at the end.
    26-BIKRAM-POSTURES.jpg

The room wasn't very hot to start with but as I was in front of one of the heaters (rookie mistake I think) I quickly got sweaty. I did bring a smaller towel for the face, which was good as I really needed it :)

The switch between poses gives you room to have a small drink.
    The poses are quite quick, which suits me as I get bored if it's too spiritual.

I must say it was good. Even though I'm built like a fridge I didn't feel like I was singled out or anything, it was emphasized to "do what you're ok with".
    90 mins may seem like a long time but this first session flew past.

Will definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Thanks for the feedback, biko! Really glad you enjoyed it :)

Advertisement