Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Mind Yoga

Options
  • 07-01-2011 10:52pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience with Open Mind Yoga on Pearse St in Dublin? The price is very tempting.

So, for a beginner, yea or nay? Personally, I'm inclined to think that I can't have much to lose by paying only €50 for 6 classes to try it out, but I thought I'd see what people's experience was with the studio anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I've been a couple of times and I liked it a lot. However, if you're a beginner, I think a beginners-only class could be more beneficial for you and from what I recall, they don't have a beginners class, just a Level 1. I have heard people say in class it's their first yoga class but I think the class is very fast-moving for a beginner. Although maybe that suits some people better than an in-depth introduction to each pose!

The teachers are very good there and €50 is a great price for a yoga course!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well I'm going to do the UCD get active programme this semester, which is 5 weeks of unlimited classes. I'll have at least 5 of the yoga classes behind me by the time I go to this place, so I won't be a complete newbie, hopefully :P

Thanks for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 onlinework4all

Hey guys,
    can you explain much about this Open mind yoga?Is this different from all 9 yogasana or some thing different?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

>>>>Is this different from all 9 yogasana or some thing different?

Do you mean by this question that someone has said there are 9 main yoga asanas?

I assume that you know there are many different forms of yoga available, ranging from ashtanga, iyengar, bikram, kundalini, anusara, viniyoga, satyananda, sivananda, jivmukti, vinyasa flow and others.

And then some yoga studios just give a name to their classes for example "Open Mind Yoga".

If you are interested in reading about which type of yoga may be best for you, there is a good overview at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/courses-classes/what-type-of-yoga-is-best-for-me.html

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yogi tobye

It's a great price for a great studio(s), with some really cool teachers. I'm living in Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow, but if I was nearer to Pearse street, that's where I'd be practising my yoga!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 psych_chick

im going to start a lunchtime yoga class there if not this week, next week. Will let you know how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

I've taken a yoga class and a workshop at Open Minds in the last month and I really enjoyed it both times. The instructors were very knowledgeable and their way of teaching was certainly what I would look for in a teacher: patient, compassionate, good humoured.

The space is lovely. The only thing is you'd want to get there early as some classes can be busy.

Hey guys,
    can you explain much about this Open mind yoga?Is this different from all 9 yogasana or some thing different?
    I forgot to answer this :o Open Minds Yoga is just the name of the studio. They offer a variety of styles.
    I've taken a yoga class and a workshop at Open Minds in the last month and I really enjoyed it both times. The instructors were very knowledgeable and their way of teaching was certainly what I would look for in a teacher: patient, compassionate, good humoured.

The space is lovely. The only thing is you'd want to get there early as some classes can be busy.
    Oh, which one did you go to, please? I haven't made one there yet, but I want to. There's a restorative one coming up that I'll definitely be at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

I took Sinead's backbends workshop in March. It was gorgeous. I got into my first headstand so I felt 9-foot tall leaving :) I also took Anto's ashtanga class.

I think I'll try out some more workshops, but I'm also going to probably migrate to classes there while my regular teacher is on maternity leave.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

or is there a nearer one in south of the city where its not so expensive, it would be defeating the purpose to do yoga for anxiety when one could have financial problems.

If you can cross the river, The Elbowroom in Stoneybatter does "Community" classes at lunchtime which are cheap - generally around €6 a class with lunch served afterwards.

On-topic - did a hips and hamstrings workshop at Open Mind Yoga last weekend and really enjoyed it. Badly needed too as the injury I've had for about the last 3-4 months has made that area almost painfully tight. Hoping to take some more classes there as it's very close to work for me.

• Advertisement

If you can cross the river, The Elbowroom in Stoneybatter does "Community" classes at lunchtime which are cheap - generally around €6 a class with lunch served afterwards.

On-topic - did a hips and hamstrings workshop at Open Mind Yoga last weekend and really enjoyed it. Badly needed too as the injury I've had for about the last 3-4 months has made that area almost painfully tight. Hoping to take some more classes there as it's very close to work for me.
    I was going to go to that workshop! Just couldn't find time :rolleyes: The girl who was running it is a great teacher - I've done hip-opening workshops with her before. Great for runners ;)

Advertisement