Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-02-2020, 11:13   #16
skinny90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
Curry's are at the ****e end of the spectrum for customer service. Ask then (when they refuse to help) simply submit a claim using the small claims procedure. The downside is you may be asked to get an independent report which will cost as much as a new TV. You might see if there is a longer warranty from the manufacturer.
When it comes big items like Tvs they all are at the sh*te end, maybe Argos would be an exception but typically on bigger items they tend to go down this road also.
Anyways know your rights. If you cant get redress from contacting their HQ >Small claims
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2020, 13:07   #17
theteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato_farl View Post
I have an update:

The daft young fella in Harvey Norman Customer Care continually tried to tell me that the sale of goods act doesn't apply because the manufacturers warranty had expired. He couldn't comprehend that they had any duty beyond the expiry of the warranty. I'm waiting on a response from a manager, but I expect it'll be the small claims court from here.
This is generally how the staff are trained. There is no mention of consumer law at all within these organisations, it's all about the company policy.
Thanks from:
22-02-2020, 17:16   #18
McGaz23

Just off the phone with Curry’s, initially they went down the road of “it’s out of warranty we’ll fix it for a charge”. I mentioned my consumer rights and immediately they switched to we’ll assess it (for £95) and refund this and repair if the fault is a manufacturer fault. Would anyone have/had issues with them assessing it?
22-02-2020, 18:20   #19
WildCardDoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGaz23 View Post
Just off the phone with Curry’s, initially they went down the road of “it’s out of warranty we’ll fix it for a charge”. I mentioned my consumer rights and immediately they switched to we’ll assess it (for £95) and refund this and repair if the fault is a manufacturer fault. Would anyone have/had issues with them assessing it?
Should be no charge, demonstrate the fault in store and ask them to sort it out. Don't pay anything.
Thanks from:
22-02-2020, 20:21   #20
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:

This is basically because of the two year warranty imposed by EU law (it does apply to Ireland through indirect effect - discussion on this in Legal Discussions). Only a fault that was there at the time of purchase is covered not a developed fault. After six months it's up to the purchaser to prove the fault existed at purchase. I personally don't really trust Currys but I doubt you'll get it assessed anywhere cheaper. Now you can argue Irish consumer rights but I'd be fairly sure if you then go down the small claims route they are going to ask for an independent report and possibly won't be willing to assess it themselves anymore.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-02-2020, 08:58   #21
Xterminator

Quote:
Would anyone have/had issues with them assessing it?
They are entitled to assess if it is an issue with misuse, vs manufacturing fault.

i would personally tell them assessing the damage is something they should do as part of the process of enforcing your consumer rights.

If they don't bend, take them to small claims court for nearly a quarter of the price.
Thanks from:
26-02-2020, 12:14   #22
corks finest

For future reference richer sounds .ie have a 6 years warranty
26-02-2020, 13:25   #23
Xterminator

this is true. but rights under sale of goods and supply act are greater than a limited warranty.

And richer sounds are not in the ROI, and uk is leaving EU .....
26-02-2020, 19:12   #24
kathleen37

Richer Sounds never used to ship to IE, but there is actually a richersounds.ie website now, where you can buy in sterling or euro's. Delivery charges are as follows;

"Delivery charges on this site can vary depending on location.

Items ordered in £ from NI

All 3-5 day deliveries will be free.

Items ordered in £ from ROI

There is be a delivery charge of £6.99 per order for items ordered in £ for delivery into the Republic of Ireland.

Items ordered in € from ROI

All 3-5 day deliveries are free of charge.

Items ordered in € for delivery to NI

There is a delivery charge of €7.99 per order for items ordered in € for delivery into Northern Ireland.

Please note we do NOT delivery to Parcel Motel or any 3rd Party Freight Forwarders"

This is excellent as I used to use Richer Sounds all the time when living in the UK and was gutted that they didn't used to delivery to Eire. (I'm talking years ago) An excellent company
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-02-2020, 19:21   #25
Samuel T. Cogley

And they have a talk to forum on boards
(2) thanks from:
26-02-2020, 20:19   #26
kathleen37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
And they have a talk to forum on boards
I wish I'd known!! Hahah - I'm not surprised, I've always had excellent customer service from them. Jees, I hope they keep up the Ireland side re the B word...
Thanks from:
27-02-2020, 12:49   #27
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen37 View Post
Richer Sounds never used to ship to IE, but there is actually a richersounds.ie website now, where you can buy in sterling or euro's. Delivery charges are as follows;

"Delivery charges on this site can vary depending on location.

Items ordered in £ from NI

All 3-5 day deliveries will be free.

Items ordered in £ from ROI

There is be a delivery charge of £6.99 per order for items ordered in £ for delivery into the Republic of Ireland.

Items ordered in € from ROI

All 3-5 day deliveries are free of charge.

Items ordered in € for delivery to NI

There is a delivery charge of €7.99 per order for items ordered in € for delivery into Northern Ireland.

Please note we do NOT delivery to Parcel Motel or any 3rd Party Freight Forwarders"

This is excellent as I used to use Richer Sounds all the time when living in the UK and was gutted that they didn't used to delivery to Eire. (I'm talking years ago) An excellent company
Got a tv delivered e79 cheaper than in the free state,free delivery+ 6 years warranty , fantastic prompt customer care service
Thanks from:
27-02-2020, 12:58   #28
Suckit

Have a read through this it may or may not be of any help
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cons...rong-1.3450322

Quote:
What exactly are my statutory rights?
EU consumer legislation has provided a sort of “legal guarantee” that entitles consumers across Europe to seek this redress when a good is faulty for a period of up to two years.

Two years? That’s good, right?
It’s better if you live in the Republic of Ireland. Under Irish law, the limitation period is actually six years. If a fault arises within the first six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise or provide remedies. After six months, the consumer may be requested to show that the lack of conformity (eg, a hidden defect) already existed at the time of delivery. The seller should first offer a repair or replacement (liaising with the manufacturer if necessary) and provide this free of charge. If this is not possible or fails to correct the problem, then the consumer may request a refund.

Six years? That is a very long time.
Well, it does depend on multiple factors. The amount you pay for a product and the reasonable expectations as to how long it lasts are key here. If you spend €3,000 on a sofa and it falls apart after three years through no fault of your own then you can most likely seek redress under the Sale of Goods Act. Similarly if your spend €1,000 on a smart phone that just stops working after 14 months then you can seek redress. If the digital watch you bought for a fiver in a discount store breaks after five years , 11 months and 29 days and you wander in looking for a refund you can most likely whistle for it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion