Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat Vs Collared Dove!

Options
  • 24-05-2019 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

:D Hilarious! I've just been stood, watching them. I'd been hearing the dove for a few days, now. Just spotted him on the wire, above my bait point. Next moment, he's pecking the bait.

That's when the full grown rat scuttled out of the ditch and came for his share. Dove sharply spun round and raised his wings. Rat bolted back to whence he's came!

Minute later, rattie's back! Sneaks up and gets a taste. Dove spots him and makes nutting gesture. Rat legs it.

Back he comes! I'm quietly LMAO, by now! And so it went on.

Oh! Just looked out. Dove's gone and the rat's filling his boots. That was great fun though. And, on a far more serious note; I've Finally got the Collared Doves coming in! It's taken me years!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What do you mean by bait point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

The point I bait.

Stigura wrote: »
    The point I bait.

With?

Bait.

What's Your point?

Just confused. It sounds like poison, yet you watch a collared drove feeding at it. Genuinely confused.
    Bait.

What's Your point?

• Advertisement

Why would I spend years, hoping to attract Collared Doves, just to poison them once they get here :confused:

How about cutting out the messing and just explain then? What kind of bait was the Collared Dove pecking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Why would I spend years, hoping to attract Collared Doves, just to poison them once they get here :confused:

Because you never want them to leave (joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Dash_Of_Red

I bet you're glad you started the thread now! :)

In fairness, misunderstanding obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Dash_Of_Red

Bait, as in food to attract the bird so he could view it feeding

• Advertisement

I'm over 60 years involved with wildlife and never heard food for birds referred to a bait.
    Bait, as in food to attract the bird so he could view it feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I'm over 60 years involved with wildlife and never heard food for birds referred to a bait.

Well as the saying goes, you learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Calling food (?) put down to attract birds as bait is bizarre - my first thought was also poison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

me too; bait is something you use to catch something with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bait.

What's Your point?

I think the point is where the bait is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Bait + Rat = poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Perhaps the OP is channelling Tom Lehrer?:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well, if somebody mentions shooting pigeons your first thought will be "gun", but it could also be a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm surprised the rat didn't win, all the same.

recedite wrote: »
    Well, if somebody mentions shooting pigeons your first thought will be "gun", but it could also be a camera.

Very true. However the verb to shoot is in common usage in both activities while Bait is not a bird feeding term.

• Advertisement
Advertisement