Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schooled by an E-bike

Options
  • 23-05-2019 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

First time I’ve seen this particularly up Howth head . A woman on a fat E bike shafted me going up the head this evening . I actually couldn’t believe how easy it was for her ..Anyone seen these Vulcano Fat E bikes ? No idea what speed they can achieve on the flat but really come into their own for commutes with hills. Was a bit of an eye opener out there

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saw a fat e-bike for the first time the other day. or is that an e-fat bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

A fatty bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

saw a fat e-bike for the first time the other day. or is that an e-fat bike?

There is something surreal about it . I’ve seen plenty of e bikes but that’s the first time I’ve had someone blow me completely out of it on one , especially one like that . I was catching a bit on the downhill but didn’t last when we went up again

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If they were really blasting it up they were likely on a >250W unit which is illegal, just FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

ED E wrote: »
    If they were really blasting it up they were likely on a >250W unit which is illegal, just FYI.

First thing I thought alright .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You can keep a steady 25kph on any legal mid drive ebike up Howth, with little actual effort, which is "blasting" for many :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

ED E wrote: »

The 250w refers to 'continuous' maximum power. On hill climbs, the motor usually draws more current (e.g. 14 amps at 36v). For example, my own 250w bafang (Halfords, legal, unmodified) is rated as 500 w (electrical power) intermittent in the specs that came with bike, which could give about 350-400w (70-80% efficiency) extra mechanical power to the cycling effort (legs) of the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

When I was in Spain, I saw some of those e-bikes doing 35-40km/h on 8-10% gradients. Did not surprise me at all. They are MOTORbikes afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah I think you need to sort of put it out of your head that they're bicycles. They just look like them. Awesome method of transport if fitness isn't the end goal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

e-bikes that have had their speed limiters disabled, are motorbikes. They have no place on our roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

1bryan wrote: »
    e-bikes that have had their speed limiters disabled, are motorbikes. They have no place on our roads.

They're already illegal to be on the road (incidentally, the same way thousands of cars that have had undeclared power remaps' are, though that rarely seems to raise an eyebrow).

Motorbikes they are not though. An unrestricted ebike isn't going to get anything like the speed of a motorbike due to simple physics of power vs wind resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

If your dissapointed that you got 'shafted' by an e-bike maybe its time for some self awareness classes!

Like saying I got shafted by a Ferrari at the lights in my Golf teediddlyeye its not fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

miller_63 wrote: »
    Like saying I got shafted by a Ferrari at the lights in my Golf teediddlyeye its not fair...

Your Ferrari is more likely to get shafted at the lights by an eGolf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

whats the auld 0-60 on one of them bad boys hah?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think of it as a Derny!
    pe_2298883b.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I go to Switzerland a lot and you see a lot of commuters on speed pedelecs. Licence plate, wing mirrors and I think tax and insurance.

I was overtaken on my commute by one of those new Uber bikes yesterday though - basically like a Dublin Bike with a motor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

1bryan wrote:
    It doesn't need a disabled speed limiter to get 20km/hr up a hill, which is where the OP said he was passed by one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭secman

I know a chap who got one, its limited to 20 kph, very useful on climbs but tough on the flat if he needs to he at 28 to 30kph in a group. He had major heart surgery last year, practically died but brought back. He occasionally goes out on his normal road bike, most likely on the flat doing a solo spin. His regular bike is 7 Kg, the ebike is over 12kg. He's constantly watching his heart rate on his watch, understandable.

secman wrote: »
    I know a chap who got one, its limited to 20 kph, very useful on climbs but tough on the flat if he needs to he at 28 to 30kph in a group. He had major heart surgery last year, practically died but brought back. He occasionally goes out on his normal road bike, most likely on the flat doing a solo spin. His regular bike is 7 Kg, the ebike is over 12kg. He's constantly watching his heart rate on his watch, understandable.

getting one limited to 20k seems illogical

really 30kph is where the limit should be at, a usable speed on the flat and be great on the uphill

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not a 'limit' on the bike, you can still do 30km/h if you want, as long as you're willing to pedal it to that speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Oberkon wrote: »
    First time I’ve seen this particularly up Howth head . A woman on a fat E bike shafted me going up the head this evening . I actually couldn’t believe how easy it was for her ..Anyone seen these Vulcano Fat E bikes ? No idea what speed they can achieve on the flat but really come into their own for commutes with hills. Was a bit of an eye opener out there

The assistance should switch off at 25kmh, so on the flats you're on your own.

it's not a 'limit' on the bike, you can still do 30km/h if you want, as long as you're willing to pedal it to that speed.

it's not a 'Limit' on the bike

It's a 'limit' on the electric assistance

but a limit all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was going along Merrion Road at about 25km/h the other day and was overtaken like I wasn't moving at all by a guy on a very fancy looking eBike. Clearly chipped - he was drafting a bus too for extra crazy points.

really 30kph is where the limit should be at, a usable speed on the flat and be great on the uphill
    surely 25km/h is a usable speed on the flat? you'd need to be a fit cyclist to sustain 30km/h on a normal bike.

i just think e-bike proponents should be wary of the 'we want to go faster' approach; if they change the regs they might change the conditions too.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I was going along Merrion Road at about 25km/h the other day and was overtaken like I wasn't moving at all by a guy on a very fancy looking eBike. Clearly chipped - he was drafting a bus too for extra crazy points.
    i was doing 37km/h on the rock road last summer and was passed by a guy in a suit on a bike, who pretty much left me standing.

surely 25km/h is a usable speed on the flat? you'd need to be a fit cyclist to sustain 30km/h on a normal bike.

i just think e-bike proponents should be wary of the 'we want to go faster' approach; if they change the regs they might change the conditions too.

nah

what does fit mean exactly?

easy enough to keep up 30kph on the flat really, this is point to point now, not including stops for roundabouts, traffic lights etc, which would affect overall speed, but would affect leccy and non leccy alike

this is a drop handle bars bike now

the perfect example is the guy with the 20kph bike, goosed in probably a pretty average group spin as he is now lugging around a monster bike with no assist, just to get an assist on the hills when it goes below 20kph

getting one limited to 20k seems illogical

the average speed of a dublin commute by bike is around 19km/h. So a limit of 30km/h is a ridiculous suggestion

the average speed of a dublin commute by bike is around 19km/h. So a limit of 30km/h is a ridiculous suggestion

no it's not

you dont' have to go 30kph if you choose to not

sure if it's 25k, is that not ridiculous

and now how did measure this average speed?

it's a speed limit, not a target :pac:

• Advertisement

it's a speed limit, not a target :pac:

ah grand, so we'll let cars and motorbikes into the cycle lanes so

Advertisement