Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National slowdown/speedtrap day tomorrow from 7am (May 24th)

Options
  • 23-05-2019 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I just saw this posted on the Guards twitter account.

National Slowdown day from 7am tomorrow (May 24th) for 24 hours.
    #NationalSlowDownDay Tomorrow: Friday 24th 07:00 to Saturday 25th 07:00. Reduce your speed and help save lives. Chief Supt Paul Cleary, Roads Policing Bureau & Tony Goodwin, General Secretary of the Irish Road Haulage Association tell you more about this life saving initiative

Source: https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1131534952934322178

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Will we ever get a "National Red Light Runner Crackdown Day", or a "National drivers using mobile phone day", or a "national I can't use an indicator correctly day" or even a "National incorrect lane change day"

Speed isn't the major problem with driving in this country, it's the idiots who don't indicate correctly (if at all), run red lights, ignore lane marking and cherry pick what rules suit them....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks for the headsup OP but at 7am tomorrow may not be possible for me to break speed limit given traffic volumes!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I'd prefer a national no driving in the bus lane day.
    Where they confiscate peoples cars and let them continue their journey on the bus if they like it so much.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd prefer a national no driving in the bus lane day.
    Where they confiscate peoples cars and let them continue their journey on the bus if they like it so much.

They could stand on the north quays and confiscate 1 car every 15 seconds very easily (and alot of the same cars too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

ianobrien wrote: »
    Will we ever get a "National Red Light Runner Crackdown Day", or a "National drivers using mobile phone day", or a "national I can't use an indicator correctly day" or even a "National incorrect lane change day"

Speed isn't the major problem with driving in this country, it's the idiots who don't indicate correctly (if at all), run red lights, ignore lane marking and cherry pick what rules suit them....

I don't know about that, almost every accident shown on the net is caused by inappropriate speed, so I;d say it ranks up there with the rest of your list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It makes sense to have these national slow down day. 36,000 caught between jan-March. So 80 euro a pop that equates to 2,880,000 euro. A nice little earner for the pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It makes sense to have these national slow down day. 36,000 caught between jan-March. So 80 euro a pop that equates to 2,880,000 euro. A nice little earner for the pot.

And no possible way for people to avoid getting caught. The bloody gubberment have us all I tells you.

And no possible way for people to avoid getting caught. The bloody gubberment have us all I tells you.

Fair enough if you’re really hauling ass, but what pisses me off is when people get done for 2/3kmhr over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Isambard wrote: »
    I don't know about that, almost every accident shown on the net is caused by inappropriate speed, so I;d say it ranks up there with the rest of your list.

You're reading the data incorrectly.

Inappropriate speed is a factor, not necessarily the cause, in most of the incidents that data gets published about.

For example: someone makes a dangerous overtake whilst speeding and collides with another car. Inappropriate speed is a factor, but not the actual cause. The cause is the dangerous overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Great, so the ****heads who doing 80km/h in 100km/h road will do 65km/h. Trip to work and back home just became even more colourful for my insult vocabulary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What othe laws would you like to be discarded?

I drove up to Dublin on the m7 yesterday morning dreading rush hour at 730 am.

Everyone was doing 60 and traffic moved freely and without the usual holdups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I drove up to Dublin on the m7 yesterday morning dreading rush hour at 730 am.

Everyone was doing 60 and traffic moved freely and without the usual holdups.

Surely between TII and DTTAS they should have realised that the N7 works are offering very strong evidence that dynamic variable speed limits, with enforcement, could make a massive different to rush hour congestion on the M50.

Could then allow a limit of 120 on M50 at the quietest times, but drop to 80 or 60 at peak congestion to keep things moving.

For my last job I regularly had to travel approx 90% of the M50 each morning - averaging 60km/h on for most of it would have been a big improvement on plenty of mornings :p

Lol where did i say i wanted any laws discarded? I was just saying they can collect a few bob. Are you a cop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Eh...is it not a slow down day everyday??? I thaught speeding was against the law anyday at anytime....not just on a 'slow down day'

If it's to stop & educate people fair enough....but I see speed checks everyday so this is just a PR spin....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The cost of enforcing speed limits is greater than the sum of fines collected, as ridiculous and unlikely as that sounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

I've a certain idea about how to reduce speeds on the roads, and decided today that just for the craic, I'd put it in writing to Minister Shane Ross and see if I might get a reply. I don't really expect him to take it seriously, but you never know...

Dear Minister,

I trust this mail finds you well.

I’m writing in connection with how today (Friday May 24) is the latest “National Slow Down Day”, with a greater number than usual of speed checks being carried out on our roads by Gardaí and Gasto vans.

I would like to suggest another method of tackling speeding, which would be cheaper than operating Gatso vans, and which would still have the effect of getting people to slow down on our roads.

All you would need to do is simply pay some other people maybe €10 to €12 per hour to drive around flashing their headlights at oncoming traffic. This oncoming traffic would slow down in the belief there was a speed check ahead. You would of course back up the “flashing lights patrol” with the continued presence of Gatso vans in some random locations, so even if people got wise to the fact that many flashing light warnings are not actually genuine, they still could not take a chance on continuing to speed.

I think this is a brilliant piece of lateral thinking and I trust that you and the other appropriate personnel in your Department and in the RSA will give it some consideration.

I look forward to your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Duffryman wrote: »
    All you would need to do is simply pay some other people maybe €10 to €12 per hour to drive around flashing their headlights at oncoming traffic. This oncoming traffic would slow down in the belief there was a speed check ahead.

I've a variation on that.
    You could pay people to do "rolling roadblocks" at exactly 120kph on the motorways/dual carriageways. Sure you could even get self driving cars to do it. Much like 2 articulated trucks do unintentionally every feckin day.

But really, speeding could be easily solved on motorways by average speed cameras. It's a solved problem, just needs implementing.

Speeding on small roads, urban roads... not so easy to detect.
    Not unless all cars are fitted with "black boxes" to record speed and upload to a central server to track our movements, which just won't happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I reckon dummy inflatable guarda cars dotted across the motorway network would do the trick. Have a few mannequins with speed guns for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Because we encounter all of those faults on our roads, it is essential we drive at an appropriate speed to deal with them

If the speed limits were increased to more appropriate speeds for modern cars then people would have to be breaking the current ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If the speed limits were increased to more appropriate speeds for modern cars then people would have to be breaking the current ones.

It’s not just cars that use the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I reckon dummy inflatable guarda cars dotted across the motorway network would do the trick. Have a few mannequins with speed guns for good measure.

They'd make a show of the real ones.

Advertisement