Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Camera Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would be wary of powering the cameras from anyplace other than where the stream is coming back to.
    So if the camera server is in stable building then I would power them from there.

There is a possibility of electrical problems otherwise ..... but that depends a lot on how the electrical wiring is done etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lucifer wrote: »
    You would be fine running a link between the 2 and have a switch in each building. Either zoneminder or a nvr will work with either way you wire it.

Just to give you an idea of traffic, with 8 cameras, a mix of 720/1080, at about 15 fps the network traffic to zoneminder is about 1 MB/s (8 Mbps)

Another setup with 5 cameras, 1 x 4mp, 1 x 3mp 1 x 2mp and 2 x 1mp, all around 15 fps, is about 1.2 MB/s during the day.

If you use gigabit switches you get a transfer rate of 125MB/s (1000Mbps) so a few cameras streaming over is not going to be a massive load on the network.

Would even be fine with a 100Mbps link

Zoneminder does not have any limitations on the number of cameras, it's purely down to your hardware. I have read of setups into hundreds.

One thing when you set it up, use h264 video pass through which cuts down on cpu usage

I'll have to get a new Poe switch(s) in either case, current Netgear switch doesn't supply Poe.
    Think I may get one capable of running Unifi access points so I can upgrade my home wifi network at the same time/ near future.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

paulbok wrote: »
    I'll have to get a new Poe switch(s) in either case, current Netgear switch doesn't supply Poe.
    Think I may get one capable of running Unifi access points so I can upgrade my home wifi network at the same time/ near future.

Double check with the access points as the 2 ubiquiti ones I have do not use standard 802.3af poe. The indoor uses 24v I think and the outdoor was 48v from memory. They come with the poe power supply unless you buy box of 5. Then that just plugs into any port on any switch.

https://www.ui.com/accessories/poe-adapters/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting thread on reddit about a guy catching two people trying to break into his house on his ring doorbell camera here in Ireland:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/bs307v/bastards_tried_to_rob_my_house_in_paddocks_lucan/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lucifer wrote: »
    Double check with the access points as the 2 ubiquiti ones I have do not use standard 802.3af poe. The indoor uses 24v I think and the outdoor was 48v from memory. They come with the poe power supply unless you buy box of 5. Then that just plugs into any port on any switch.

https://www.ui.com/accessories/poe-adapters/

Ordered a Ubiquiti edgerouter x, pro WAP and a 16 non Poe switch to replace everything in the house. WAP comes with injector and am going to run all camera from the house and shed to the new comms panel.
    Just got the 1 wap for now. I doubt it will cover the whole house, the blocks have granite in them which plays hell with signals. But can easily add another after initial setup.
    Am going to move my existing R8000 Nighthawk router to the shed for wifi there.
    Looking at a 2nd hand Cisco 3560 Poe switch for the new comms panel, it is out of offical support since start of the year, but will that make much of a difference for a home setup?

Next stop is to source cat 5e cable for the cams and some cat 6 for the back hail and spares.
    Lots of cheap cca crap out there so Cable Monkey looks the best price for solid core out there.
    Builder help up for two weeks so have more time to research and buy more kit that I really don't need. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

hi just putting this out there. is it possible to have a camera system in a remote area where its powered by a car/lorry battery(as no electricity) and using a phone to upload or access the captured video or images..say a sensor on camera takes pic and that pic is send/uploaded somewhere automatically ..so i could access it from my pc at home...that possible? expensive?

Advertisement