Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are 24V GU10 LED Bulbs available?

Options
  • 14-05-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Recently had the attic room insulated with spray foam.
    The company that did the job advised that the bulbs in the downlighters would need to be changed to LED bulbs as the heat emitted from standard halogen bulbs would cause a problem with the foam.

Current lights are 24V and am finding it hard to find 24V GU10 LED bulbs, do they exist?

Do I need to get rid of the ceiling mounted transformers and replace the lights themselves with 220VAC units?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

JMR wrote:
    Do I need to get rid of the ceiling mounted transformers and replace the lights themselves with 220VAC units?

That would work. Never heard of 24 V gu10s

If they existed they'd most likely be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭dathi

found these halogens in a house where they had been spray foamed in place wires all burned from heat foam crispy and black

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My understanding is thy a GU10 is mains voltage definition. MR16 lamps have similar dimensions and are 12V.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dathi wrote: »
    found these halogens in a house where they had been spray foamed in place wires all burned from heat foam crispy and black

Can’t see the photo to well are you sure that’s not from a mice?

Op GU10 are mains only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭dathi

ted1 wrote: »
    Can’t see the photo to well are you sure that’s not from a mice?

no not mice the transformer and wires coming from it were in cased in foam the wire thats burnt was in a small pocket of foam around the halogen downlight that was charred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say he meant to get gu10 led lamps they produce less heat than the halogens but you still need an air gap around them no matter how little heat they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Thanks for the replies on this.

I bought some standard 240V GU10 LED downlighters to replace the 24V halogen units.
    Problem is that there isn't enough head space in the ceiling to fit the light as the bulb body is a good 10mm too long and I'm hitting the timber roof truss above.
    Anybody any idea if a shorter GU10 bulb is available or are they all a standard size?
    Only other option I can think of is to drill into the timber that I'm hitting?

Picture attached

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don’t cut the bottom off the timbers , you will weaken them too much. Can you move the fittings from under the timbers? Those gu10 are pretty standard size, you may need to research a different fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

salmocab wrote: »
    Can you move the fittings from under the timbers?

Not really an option as to do so would take the lights off centre in the room and making good the existing holes in the ceiling would be beyond my DIY capabilities :(

Advertisement