Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - Esker Hills GC May 18th 11.30am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I am now 100% out for this one, oh well, family comes first.

Spacecoyote, no range on site as i recall. I see two on Google maps within 10 min drive or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Unfortunately I'm out for Saturday too. Have a Leinster semi final camogie game! Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Enjoy the weekend lads, won’t make this 1. See ye all in Thurles!! Looking like Benny has the weather organised again for Saturday:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Any ideas on warm up facilities either onsite, it close by?

There is a small putting green behind the clubhouse and a chipping green beside the 18th green.
    Nearest range would be in Rahan (think it might be called Tullbeg, I haven’t been there in years) I’ll go around that way before Saturday and let ye know what it’s like.

All of us who’ve played the course a good few times aren’t playing Saturday so am I recommend provisional balls be played on a few blind holes. Might speed things up. It’s not an easy course (unless you play like Rikand!! 2 over gross??)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

charlieIRL wrote: »
    There is a small putting green behind the clubhouse and a chipping green beside the 18th green.
    Nearest range would be in Rahan (think it might be called Tullbeg, I haven’t been there in years) I’ll go around that way before Saturday and let ye know what it’s like.

All of us who’ve played the course a good few times aren’t playing Saturday so am I recommend provisional balls be played on a few blind holes. Might speed things up. It’s not an easy course (unless you play like Rikand!! 2 over gross??)

How about one of those patented Boards society member course guides from one of the locals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How about one of those patented Boards society member course guides from one of the locals?

have you not played it?

I think I've been out on it twice, maybe 3 times. Very enjoyable track. Tough but enjoyable.

Don't know it well enough to give you course notes, but if I recall correctly the opening hole is a tough enough dogleg the first time you play it because it's totally blind and you just don't know what to do, but really it's not the most difficult par 5 if you play clever. ie don't need driver to cut the corner off the tee.
    10th..... well you just have to try and drive the green :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    have you not played it?

I think I've been out on it twice, maybe 3 times. Very enjoyable track. Tough but enjoyable.

Don't know it well enough to give you course notes, but if I recall correctly the opening hole is a tough enough dogleg the first time you play it because it's totally blind and you just don't know what to do, but really it's not the most difficult par 5 if you play clever. ie don't need driver to cut the corner off the tee.
    10th..... well you just have to try and drive the green :D
    Think I played it once, back in around 2016, but cant remember anything about it to be honest.

Have missed all the other times Boards played there

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Sorry folks i have to pull out of this have been called into a club team, i have changed my status on teamer to decline

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aleynaa

Apologies I also have to change to decline on Teamer. My evening plans are unavoidably starting earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I woke up this morning not been able to move my knee. JUst about avoided A+E as per my oncologists advice! But gonna try my utmost to make it

Slowly came unstuck today! Is there rules on buggies??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Timesheet for Esker hills

Time|Player1|Player2|Player3|Player4
    11.30|Macker1|SEORG|ballyk|Timgolfer
    11.38|ThecHamp26|Tigerwood1|Asimo1|OS_Head
    11.46|Rainbow Warrior|Ballyman|Slave1|doublecross
    11.54|gypsy79|Bigchap1759|Woodyg|Pakman
    12.02|Jarrieta|golfnut203|ronnoco13
    12.10|RoadRunner|The Big Easy|spacecoyote
    12.18|Benny79|Break80|Fixdepitchmark

Going to play off the greens on this one

NP-5 & LD- 18

See you all there.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I woke up this morning not been able to move my knee. JUst about avoided A+E as per my oncologists advice! But gonna try my utmost to make it

I dont think there allowed in the society but as Im Captain I rather you use one than not play if your injured. Plus numbers have been confirmed and I had to ring again as of people dropping out late..

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Only played it once, but I remember the first few holes at least.

First hole dogleg right, can cut the corner with a decent hit or lay up for safety.

Second hole aim left over the trees and you can nearly drive the green if you catch the down slope.

Third hole is a hard dogleg left, best to play middle to right to avoid being cut off.

Fourth hold, oh man now it gets interesting. Difficult window to hit on a dogleg right. Don't be like me and drive it OB left as all the left side is OB. A solid drive with a nice fade will be best (like my provo!)

Fifth hole, easy to go long on this downhill par 3, and long is wet. At least one club less here, two if you want to be extra safe. I hit it a bit thin and was wet.

Six, going to be a tough go for reaching in two, would say plan for not going for it unless you a big hitter with a good drive.

Seven, nice hole just drive it well and dont go left...or right.

Eight has a tight window for driver, but if you have a good fade you could put it close. If not then aim to put it just right of the big tree and you will have a good look at the green. I drove it close and then fluffed 3 chips. Don't do that.

I can't recall the exact details of the holes after that, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

benny79 wrote: »
    Timesheet for Esker hills...

Ah no, my original teamer accept looks like it didn't go through :mad:
    Pm'd you benny hopefully there's something you can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I dont think there allowed in the society but as Im Captain I rather you use one than not play if your injured. Plus numbers have been confirmed and I had to ring again as of people dropping out late..

Walking properly today so looking much better

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

gypsy79 wrote: »

we changed the rules a few years ago Benny

Buggies are allowed if required so no issue here

Seve OB wrote: »
    we changed the rules a few years ago Benny

Buggies are allowed if required so no issue here

Cheers Seve! Question answered folks :D

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Ah no, my original teamer accept looks like it didn't go through :mad:
    Pm'd you benny hopefully there's something you can do?

Dont worry I send you a pm all good Roadrunner.

Timesheet for Esker hills

Time|Player1|Player2|Player3|Player4
    11.30|Macker1|SEORG|ballyk|Timgolfer
    11.38|ThecHamp26|Tigerwood1|Asimo1|OS_Head
    11.46|Rainbow Warrior|Ballyman|Slave1|doublecross
    11.54|gypsy79|Bigchap1759|Woodyg|Pakman
    12.02|Jarrieta|golfnut203|ronnoco13
    12.10|RoadRunner|The Big Easy|spacecoyote
    12.18|Benny79|Break80|Fixdepitchmark

Going to play off the greens on this one

NP-5 & LD- 18

See you all there.

Just a slight change to Timesheet Folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Do they let 3 balls out benny ?

• Advertisement

Do they let 3 balls out benny ?

Yeah, Esker Hills are really one of the nicest people about! They go out of there way to help you! So all's good.

Have you played it before Fix? Its a smashing course! And for me just like The European when the staff are so nice & friendly it adds to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Only played it once, but I remember the first few holes at least.

First hole dogleg right, can cut the corner with a decent hit or lay up for safety.

Second hole aim left over the trees and you can nearly drive the green if you catch the down slope.

Third hole is a hard dogleg left, best to play middle to right to avoid being cut off.

Fourth hold, oh man now it gets interesting. Difficult window to hit on a dogleg right. Don't be like me and drive it OB left as all the left side is OB. A solid drive with a nice fade will be best (like my provo!)

Fifth hole, easy to go long on this downhill par 3, and long is wet. At least one club less here, two if you want to be extra safe. I hit it a bit thin and was wet.

Six, going to be a tough go for reaching in two, would say plan for not going for it unless you a big hitter with a good drive.

Seven, nice hole just drive it well and dont go left...or right.

Eight has a tight window for driver, but if you have a good fade you could put it close. If not then aim to put it just right of the big tree and you will have a good look at the green. I drove it close and then fluffed 3 chips. Don't do that.

I can't recall the exact details of the holes after that, best of luck!

9th is uphill par 3 with difficult green,everything goes to right, 10th is short par 4 with water in front and big hitters can't resist going for it but it's a card wrecker, Lay up 5iron off tee SW to green,11th is good par 4 requires longish drive to see green for 2nd shot, 12th is downhill tee shot then all uphill to a nasty back to front sloping green, slightly short and you are rolling back 30 yds,slightly big and it's hard to keep ball on green with your chip, 13 is a great Par 3 all carry to large slopped green, short of pin is good here, 14 is another great par 4 with fairway in a bowl, easiest to hit but take extra club for your 2nd shot as it's uphill, 15 is another par 3, Thinking 8 iron take 7 etc..16 is a dogleg left par 5,again big hitters can cut corner but be careful as more left you aim brings in trees in farmyard left , 17 is a dogleg left Par 4 and there is no gain from trying to cut corner as small trees stretch out further than you think and you will get caught up.left half of fairway is good leaving 140-150 uphill to well protected green, 18 is good par 4, Bunker left catches a lot of drives so err on right half of fairway, again uphill approach to green so 1 more club might suffice, Enjoy lads great course and going mad I'm missing it for a communion

• Registered Users Posts: 8 timgolfer

Hi Benny , I accepted on Teamer but didn’t seem my name on the time sheet? Looks like a smashing course don’t want to miss this 1. Any room for me? Thanks

timgolfer wrote: »
    Hi Benny , I accepted on Teamer but didn’t seem my name on the time sheet? Looks like a smashing course don’t want to miss this 1. Any room for me? Thanks
    You're out at 11.30 may want to get the eyesight checked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 timgolfer

You're out at 11.30 may want to get the eyesight checked :D

😂 my bad. On my phone is shows up all 3 balls , until I scroll over. Hopefully my golf will be better than my computer skills!

timgolfer wrote: »
    �� my bad. On my phone is shows up all 3 balls , until I scroll over. Hopefully my golf will be better than my computer skills!

I had the exact same problem when I first checked the list on my phone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

I had the exact same problem when I first checked the list on my phone :D

same here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Lads is there a driving range at Esker, can't remember??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Asimo1

Lads is there a driving range at Esker, can't remember??

No only a putting green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yeah, Esker Hills are really one of the nicest people about! They go out of there way to help you! So all's good.

Have you played it before Fix? Its a smashing course! And for me just like The European when the staff are so nice & friendly it adds to it!

Have benny, have played it about 5 times - class course.

I find it tough, think I have only had about 32/33 pts - but I love the changes in direction and elevation on the course. the raised greens on some of the holes make it a tough test

Love the clubhouse too - just about the craic and the golf. Sound people there.
    You can see were Lowry gets the game and personality.

Its a tough enough walk - I might lay off the pints tonight - a few glasses of red.

See all tomorrow -

1st hole is a bit perplexing - first time out used a driver and drove it over the back fence.

Advertisement