Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to replace Astec Alarm completely?

Options
  • 23-04-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi

I have had an Astec alarm installed in the house for the past 13 years. Over the weekend it started going off even though it hadn't been set, to a point where it was going off every few minutes. Got advice from someone on how to disconnect it by removing a couple of plastic things from the control box (for want of a better description!)

As Astec is now obsolete, apparently I need to get a new system in. Or would a registered installer be able to find compatible parts to repair it? Failing that, as the wires are already there, I need to figure out what companies can supply a wired alarm without actually having to install new wiring, if that makes sense. I've been searching online and the options are either wireless or wired (and by wired, I'm sure they are including the wiring "job" in the price as well). I would also like a self-monitoring option as opposed to being tied to a monthly monitoring fee.

Can anyone recommend a company I could try? Prices I'm getting are €450 to €1100 & monthly monitoring fee. I'm based in north Dublin.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The GSD panels allow connection to Astec zones using existing Astec sensors and contacts.
    Providing the wiring is sufficient it should be fine to use. This would need to be verified by a survey particularly for the external bell and keypad wiring.
    Normal sensors and contacts can also be converted to work on the existing Astec system also.
    Most good installers would be able to offer you numerous options here. Be wary of the ones who only want to sell you a new system and commit you to ongoing payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

KoolKid wrote: »
    The GSD panels allow connection to Astec zones using existing Astec sensors and contacts.
    Providing the wiring is sufficient it should be fine to use. This would need to be verified by a survey particularly for the external bell and keypad wiring.
    Normal sensors and contacts can also be converted to work on the existing Astec system also.
    Most good installers would be able to offer you numerous options here. Be wary of the ones who only want to sell you a new system and commit you to ongoing payments.

Thanks so much KoolKid. Had a few quotes and all are suggesting a new system saying parts/sensors etc are not compatible. I don't suppose you could PM me with anyone you could recommend? Even if I got another year or so out of it...
    Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Mod Edit:

No shilling on the forum. Please the charter and boards rules

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Hi,
    Having the same issue here - we have a newborn in the house and the alarm randomly went off last night. All we need on top of a baby keeping us awake!

Wondering whether to get a new alarm installed, or repair existing one. (and costs benefits for both options).

Any advice greatly appreciated!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi . With an Astec system you are as well to get it looked at first. Contrary to what the one trick ponies will tell you , sensors & contacts etc can be easily replaced on these systems.
    When it activates what displays on the keypad?
    It could be as simple as a wiring problem or a connection in a junction. Ive seen cases where people have upgraded everything on bad advice only to find the fault still there.

• Advertisement

Alarm has now gone completely dead - at least its not randomly going off in the night! I had a 'keypad error - call engineer' message. Cant remember the exact error code as it was dark and I was tired! My inlaws have also had same Aztec alarm and its given them huge hassle...

I've spoke to a couple of home alarm companies - all recommend getting rid of it. Tempted to bite the bullet and get a new one - might be more economical in the long run than keep getting it repaired (230 last year for service and new battery, another couple of hundred to get it fixed now), plus more features (e.g. smartphone app).

Thinking of going with Gard alarms - seems to have a very high number of positive reviews on google and previous recommendations with boards.ie. Will cost the guts of €1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SteadyEddie

Hi folks - I just bought a house with an Astec alarm in it. On the outside there was a code (1174) that I typed. Don’t ask why I did! Anyway, I think I am stuck in an engineer view, and can’t get out to the main screen where I set the alarm as standard. Any advice is appreciated!!!

Press clear 99.
    If there are no faults present it will return to normal screen showing the time.

emclau wrote: »
    Alarm has now gone completely dead - at least its not randomly going off in the night! I had a 'keypad error - call engineer' message. Cant remember the exact error code as it was dark and I was tired! My inlaws have also had same Aztec alarm and its given them huge hassle...

I've spoke to a couple of home alarm companies - all recommend getting rid of it. Tempted to bite the bullet and get a new one - might be more economical in the long run than keep getting it repaired (230 last year for service and new battery, another couple of hundred to get it fixed now), plus more features (e.g. smartphone app).

Thinking of going with Gard alarms - seems to have a very high number of positive reviews on google and previous recommendations with boards.ie. Will cost the guts of €1k.

Went ahead and got a new upgrade- seemed a better choice than trying to fix the old system (paying for a new keypad for couple of hundred and a new battery for €200 plus engineer call our fee etc)..

Very happy with the upgrade - better alarm system feedback meaning I can see where the alarm has triggered and very convenient being able to arm/disarm on my mobile phone. The keypad actually talks to you Telling you where the alarm has been triggered which is pretty cool..

Similar to other board.ie users, very happy with Gard - good price and no B/S.. other quotes I got tried hard sell on new wireless systems (nearly twice the price - and despite the fact I already told them the house was already wired and I wanted to use that) and maintenance contracts.. I didn’t want either..

Phonewatch, bear in mind €30+ monthly maintenance price and also the fact you don’t own the equipment- you lease it from them. They quote you a very basic system - extra sensors for larger houses add up quickly. I also didn’t go with them based on feedback from other boards users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CDAndy

Hello,

Maybe this is not the right thread, but has anyone have the installation manual for the Astec alarm?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

Advertisement