Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom cabinets

Options
  • 28-02-2019 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I built a custom understairs cabinet and I am looking for doors for it. The unfortunate problem is that the doors will need to be at an angle. I was looking for MDF or Melamine or even solid wood solutions, but don't want them completely flat, maybe some small styling. I managed to find a couple of suppliers, one was very expensive and the other had no CNC for this job.

So basically I am looking for suppliers that would be able to cut a custom shape in any of the above materials.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what part of the country are you in

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Roundwood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Roundwood

Did you open a new account to ask about timber doors?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zozeo

what part of the country are you in

County Kildare

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What's your definition of very expensive?

You should be able to get a set of 3 foil wrapped MDF doors for under stairs for around €500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

If you built the cabinet can’t you cut a couple of sheets of MDF to the required size/shape?

Buy a couple of lengths of beading that you like the look of, cut the joints at 45 degrees on the square ends of the doors and at the angle of the slope at the other and use panel pins to fix to the doors, stain and job done. Will give them a more 3 dimensional look.

@Graham thanks for your response.
    I got a similar quote, but I was surprised, since the MDF itself as a material is so inexpensive that the figure didn't add up in my head. The reason is that my openings are not particularly large, see. link ibb.co/WVZKR6Y and when I check kitchen cabinet prices from same materials they are within the range of 30-50 euros each door. So I would have expected 100euros per door, max.
    I might be totally wrong based on your saying.

XMG wrote: »
    If you built the cabinet can’t you cut a couple of sheets of MDF to the required size/shape?

Buy a couple of lengths of beading that you like the look of, cut the joints at 45 degrees on the square ends of the doors and at the angle of the slope at the other and use panel pins to fix to the doors, stain and job done. Will give them a more 3 dimensional look.
    Thanks XMG. That's an option yes, and I will fall back to that, but I was looking for something more fancy for the doors than what I can build myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

zozeo wrote: »
    @Graham thanks for your response.
    I got a similar quote, but I was surprised, since the MDF itself as a material is so inexpensive that the figure didn't add up in my head. The reason is that my openings are not particularly large, see. link ibb.co/WVZKR6Y and when I check kitchen cabinet prices from same materials they are within the range of 30-50 euros each door. So I would have expected 100euros per door, max.
    I might be totally wrong based on your saying.

You're right that they are more expensive if you compare to stock size kitchen door prices. Keep in mind standard sizes for kitchen doors normally top out at 1245 or 1960 high.

There are only a few manufacturers that will manufacture custom size foil wrapped angled doors in very small quantities. It's not something most small operations would even have the equipment to do.

Standard sizes are relatively cheap, for the manufacturers it's a fairly automated process to make them and they're churning out thousands of standard doors each day.

Pricing for angled doors is normally based on next standard size up, plus a percentage for custom sizes, plus a percentage for angled doors. Add on the cost of shipping and packing (not cheap for something that tall) and all of a sudden you're around €500.

Cheaper options are as mentioned above, mdf (maybe routered around the edge) and painted (with or without beading/moulding). This is something most small workshops could put together for you. Even then I don't know that you'd save much unless you routered edges, attached the beading/moulding and painted yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Thanks XMG. That's an option yes, and I will fall back to that, but I was looking for something more fancy for the doors than what I can build myself.

I made 18mm kitchen doors in a shaker style out of MDF by cutting the door to size +5mm with 12mm MDF. Then glue on 6mm for the boarder. Then trim off your 5mm around the edge for clean edges.
    If you like the country look, you can rout in lines before you glue on the edges, to give a fake t&g look.
    Must dig out some pics. It was a good while ago, ive moved since... but I built my whole kitchen for about 300 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Def_IRL

Hi, I built a custom understairs cabinet and I am looking for doors for it. The unfortunate problem is that the doors will need to be at an angle. I was looking for MDF or Melamine or even solid wood solutions, but don't want them completely flat, maybe some small styling. I managed to find a couple of suppliers, one was very expensive and the other had no CNC for this job.

So basically I am looking for suppliers that would be able to cut a custom shape in any of the above materials.

I've used Brenwood products in Nenagh before, for some cistom oak shakers for an attic dormer. They were very good, and I found that if you ask Noyeks for custom panels they just back out the job to Brenwood to supply them anyway, so you may as well cut out the middleman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really.
    You started building cabinets with no thought as to what the doors would be made of !
    Get on up the road there.

Next thing is you will find this amazing supplier that you’d highly recommend.

Advertisement