Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ddint know this still existed!!!

Options
  • 18-01-2019 12:49am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last Saturday my daughter went for a job in one of those play areas for kids out here in Kildare.Shes 20 btw.

Anyway they gave her a 6 hour "trial" and while she was there one of the managers asked her to cover up her ink (yep like father like daughter)

So tonight she calls this crowd and asked did she get the job...the "manager" tells her shes the best person for the job and was absolutely suited for the position but unfortunately they don't hire people with tattoos.

I really thought we had moved on from this and become a bit more progressive.

Ive a good mind to slate them over any social media that I can.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Wow.
    One of mine (21years) has a sleeve tattoo and it has never been a problem.
    Having said that, she would have covered up at interview and addressed it with management before putting it on display.
    She was asked to cover it up and had no issue doing so, and was not only popular at work, but respected and offered promotion etc...

I'm more surprised that your daughter was told this was the reason, than it was the reason.
    Far easier to say, you didn't get the job than give this reason.
    " You're the best person for the job...er...but please amputate your limb so you no longer have the tattoo?"

Would your daughter want to work with such judgemental people?
    Unless her tattoo is of a child eating monster, I can't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As it's not classified as a form of discrimination, sadly, they can do as they please with regard to visible tattoos/piercings.

It's completely ridiculous, and a terrible attitude for them to have tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What pissed me off is the fact that there was no mention of tattoos at all. When she arrived to carry out the trial they asked her to cover up which she did immediately and continued the trial.

If their policy was strictly no tattoos they should have let her go without continuing the trial and explained that it was company policy.
    Instead they got 6 hours work out of her and then told her 4 days later that it was company policy. They were obviously under staffed on that day and used her as they had no one else to cover the shift.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'll bet any money they have events every so often where someone comes in to paint kids faces.

Advertisement