Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Irish Open - Lahinch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Be great if the Donald comes over for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

valoren wrote: »
    Just looked at the course and the scorecard. That 12th hole looks amazing. At 577 yards is it the longest hole in Ireland?

Hollywood Lakes 14th is 641 yards off Medal tees. Downhill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The 12th in lahinch isn’t all that long to be honest. Majority of the time it is downwind so for pros it will be on in two from the backs. Might be a few balls heading into the beach though!!

Was speaking to a life member last night and the main hotels are all booked up by the European tour already. Did it on Tuesday.

They used to hold open days back in the busy years. 50 quid was such a bargain. They had membership open for last few years and once the entrance fee is paid the sub is very reasonable. Closed now I believe and only let in 2 this year. 2 lads who can play senior cup!!!

Lucky to have played it plenty of times and have been at every south of Ireland Iv been able to get to so really looking forward to this.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the 4th clondike. No way can they play it as a par 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Asus X540L wrote: »

What would be great about that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Dr Devious wrote: »
    What would be great about that??

Cause he's a cool dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Asus X540L wrote: »

Luke doesn't play much on the European tour these days unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The 12th in lahinch isn’t all that long to be honest. Majority of the time it is downwind so for pros it will be on in two from the backs. Might be a few balls heading into the beach though!!

Will be interesting to see what they do with the 4th clondike. No way can they play it as a par 5.

Also, what do you think they'll do with 13? I think it's only 280/290 off the backs, is it too short for even a "fun, driveable par-four"? Might they make it a Par 3 for the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

valoren wrote: »
    Ah forgot about that. 623 from the back.

2nd in Killeen Castle is 615 as well and plus uphill for the approach

Edit; beaten to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Also, what do you think they'll do with 13? I think it's only 280/290 off the backs, is it too short for even a "fun, driveable par-four"? Might they make it a Par 3 for the week?

Id say it's safe enough to leave it, there's no way of running one in and holding the green with the pigs back type/fall off both sides on the approach into bunkers, flash one off the back and it's in rough/bushes facing a green u can't hold. Pros would prob take a drive into greenside bunker and try to get up and down.

Pal of mine who caddied as a kid there and watched a lot of our now pros play as amateurs in the south of Ireland comp said he never saw any drives hold the green

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My second favorite course after Portrush, the bunkers are penal, some of the fairway ones are very deep and if it’s dry then are floury and very hard to play from. The Dell should be great fun.
    If you ever plan on playing it then play it early and get in the Castle course afterwards, it’s a lovely track and mild in comparison to the very hard Lahinch.

I doubt Lahinch needs any advertising to our US buddies but no harm in portraying our Links to a worldwide audience, the Irish Open is deffo doing everything right the last few years.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Stewart Cink played there in practice the year he won the Open and the Dell is Phil Mickelsons favourite hole outside of the U.S.
    I can see a good few of the American contingent playing in this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Stewart Cink played there in practice the year he won the Open and the Dell is Phil Mickelsons favourite hole outside of the U.S.
    I can see a good few of the American contingent playing in this one.
    Phil is an honorary member of Lahinch so could very well play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Keano wrote: »

No green fees so ;)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

I wonder if there is much opposition from members to this . Even though they will probably restrict the crowds if will wreck the dunes for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

rooney30 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is much opposition from members to this . Even though they will probably restrict the crowds if will wreck the dunes for a few years

Also there would be a playing moratorium in advance of it to get the course prepared?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Ballyliffin glashedy are off mats from last weekend in prep for theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ballyliffin glashedy are off mats from last weekend in prep for theirs.

At least they can just play members comps on the old though. And they have a few extra holes for practice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Playing off mats during may and June and the course limited/closed nearer the event make you wonder if your club would be far better off without hosting the Irish open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Playing off mats during may and June and the course limited/closed nearer the event make you wonder if your club would be far better off without hosting the Irish open.

both Lahinch and Ballyliffen have secondary courses for members for that period. Often its the prestige of being a member of an Irish Open course that appeals. Very different environment in these clubs to your standard golf club

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

slingerz wrote: »

both Lahinch and Ballyliffen have secondary courses for members for that period. Often its the prestige of being a member of an Irish Open course that appeals. Very different environment in these clubs to your standard golf club

I wouldn't agree with you on the different environment in those clubs whatsoever. There's no heirs or graces in Ballyliffin in my experience. It's a very down to earth club as I would expect from a course located in Inishowen. Lahinch I'm not as familiar with so I can't comment but you're way of on Ballyliffin.

• Advertisement

Going by the scores today in the first round of the south, I hope we will have a bit of wind and the rough will have grown for the Irish open next year or else the scores could be ridiculous.

Lots of talk locally about what changes could be made to the course set up wise but without the wind Lahinch is a very r Asian or course to score on.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Some round from Mark Power today -7? This guy has serious potential

must have blew a gale this morning. Mark Power hit 65 79, Reece black shot 65 75.

2nd round was abandoned due to torrential rain and wind.
    Top 64 from first round go thru.

Some contrast to yesterday’s conditions. Rain is bad down here but didn’t think it would lead it to being abandoned

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

Keano wrote: »

Means nothing . Tom Watson was captain of Ballybunion the year it hosted it and he didn't play
    Phil won't play , he plays the Scottish the week before the open, has sponsor commitments to play that week. . That rules him out of the Irish open

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Was down at the south today, the rain was brutal. Non stop all day. Some guys very happy when the horn blew

2nd round was abandoned due to torrential rain and wind.
    Top 64 from first round go thru.

Some contrast to yesterday’s conditions.  Rain is bad down here but didn’t think it would lead it to being abandoned
    a guy from my club hit a very respectable 74 in round 2. this moved him from T61 to T80 something, looking at the leaderboard before play was suspended it looked like 2/3rds of the field were still to finish and with the tough conditions I would have bet on his position improving him getting in.
    With the round 1 cut, he missed out on countback. I'm sure he's a bit pissed this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Going by the scores today in the first round of the south, I hope we will have a bit of wind and the rough will have grown for the Irish open next year or else the scores could be ridiculous.

Lots of talk locally about what changes could be made to the course set up wise but without the wind Lahinch is a very r Asian or course to score on.

The strokeplay rounds in the South are from the White tees and pins are kept in wide areas, this is to ensure pace of play is good.

The Pros will see a very different test, however off the Blues with no wind id say -16 ish would be a good number. If the wind blows hard, its god knows down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi all. Does anyone know when tickets should start going on sale??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Hi all. Does anyone know when tickets should start going on sale??

Already are :)

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dubai-duty-free-irish-open-2019-tickets-47816332939

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement