Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lightwaverf FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes as above. Have a read of the poster that has lights

Regular switches are a straight swap, off with the old one with the new. But two way is a little more complicated

The inline rays can use your old switches but require an extra cable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Stoner wrote: »
    Yes as above. Have a read of the poster that has lights

Regular switches are a straight swap, off with the old one with the new. But two way is a little more complicated

The inline rays can use your old switches but require an extra cable

Cheers

Maybe you would know actually, I have a 2 gang switch but I really only want a one way to control the 2 lights, can I just combine the wires ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes just get a one gang lightwaverf switch and put both switch wires into the live out . Follow the installation instructions on the box with respect to safety.
    So long as neither switch is currently part of a two way arrangement. Then you seem to be into a master and slave arrangement

Couple of updates

Lightwaverfs have updated the site linkage detaila for

IFTTT
    Alexa
    Nest
    Musaic

They also have a store on eBay and for 100 pounds they are selling 5 twin sockets , fantastic value .
    There is some negativity about lightwaverf. I'd like to highlight some of that

The boiler switch and thermostat stat work perfectly well for me . No problems

TVRs are a challenge but you need to get used to them, update the firmware stick with it. Investigate other options first.

The link box or hub for me has been one of the most solid bits of kit I've even had. I have never had to restart it , it's has been restarted but it's not something that has required any maintenance from me

The LED strip lights, colour. Great idea work very well but avoid them as they are CC RG -12V. So they don't work with most cheap RGB strips leave them alone if you planned on expanding them

Door contacts for TVRs unless you have a huge rad and a big backdoor that gets left open for long periods of time dont bother with these imo. eBay is full of them

The energy Meter was not great but now the history is in the cloud so it's similar to what we've seen on rPi builds. It's become more meaningful

Photo sensor. Don't bother here either imo largely replace with a dusk and dawn soft setting that you can offset. Not with the money imo.

Note lightwaverf broke ground with a lot of things. They got some right and some wrong. They've fixed some and dropped others. Some of the dropped stuff is for sale on eBay.

Linking with Nest, this is very basic home and away mirroring only, dont expect much

Links with Alexa looks very good.

Links with musaic , it seems to be lightwaverf control on the musaic app. Set mood lighting. I could see it working well TBH

IFTTT for me lightwaverf have this very well sorted. Four decent channels. Lots of options in your hands and lots of opportunities to parcel a series of events ( using the events channel) onto one recipe

Sockets and inline sockets. I understand that some complain that these don't always work. Well mine do. The security gate , the lightwaverf sockets i have in the external box at Christmas time, the units behind the TV. They are all solid now.

Overall sometimes the communication between the app, cloud and your device is slow.
    Of you wait a few extra seconds temperatures will adjust and things will switch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Note lightwaverf broke ground with a lot of things. They got some right and some wrong. They've fixed some and dropped others. Some of the dropped stuff is for sale on eBay.

Thanks.
    They will get my money when i iwill see the devices been status-aware and not myself guesing what the "on / off" might be...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks.
    They will get my money when i iwill see the devices been status-aware and not myself guesing what the "on / off" might be...

It seems that their protocol is capable of two way communication, but for cost reasons they have only implemented one way comms. They could do two way in future, but that would require new hardware.

This is definitely a big advantage of using Zigbee, like Philips Hue does, it supports two way comms.

rolion wrote:
    Thanks. They will get my money when i iwill see the devices been status-aware and not myself guesing what the "on / off" might be...

Well you need to look elsewhere I'm afraid. I don't think they'll change that soon. There's plenty of mesh network options out there.

It's not a deal breaker for me as I can usually see that ever it is turning on or off anyway, but point taken

bk wrote:
    It seems that their protocol is capable of two way communication, but for cost reasons they have only implemented one way comms. They could do two way in future, but that would require new hardware.

They have a couple of devices where two way is enabled

TVRs and thermostats etc

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

I suppose it is a pity alright that there is no On/Off notification in the app.
    You could use the energy monitor to check in usage increases/decreases?
    I couldn’t get mine connected but I am part of the Electric Ireland smarter living panel and that uses an app along with smart plugs that you can see the wattage being used.
    I trust lightwaverf in that once I set it up correctly and can see it working via app, I have never had it fail if I try to turn something on/off from outside the home.
    But I suppose there are scenarios where it could fail, power cut etc and you wouldn’t know but again could check energy usage.

Good point. I guess if there was no handshake then a response could be resent, adding a layer of reliability.

However I would like to add that it's a very reliable system as far as I'm concerned, for certain devices.
    If it wasn't I'd stop using it and adding to it. I dumped X10 for reliability issues. We could be overplaying the issue. They have some kit that works very well and some that doesn't the kit that works well is a real option.

There are loads of systems out there with inline sockets and maybe just lights etc but the lightwaverf relays, three way relays inline dimmers, inline timers etc are very good and very flexible.

I understand that they require some electrical skills and that puts people off. But I've found it very useful for security lights, adding wireless switches , timers onto immersions etc. and they all work
    If I could get my money back I'd most likely get different TRVs they messed up the lighting strips possibly to stop people adding non proprietary products like Philips do.

But they have excellent regular inline dimmers that can be used with inexpensive LED lamps (theres a list if approved lamps)

I've found this very flexible and where as I'll have a hue in before Christmas , I find that it's somewhat limiting in that they refuse to offer any type of interface that would allow you to add a non Philips product to the scene. So any decorative fitting, catenary fitting floor lamps security fittings etc can't work on it.

It's great for Joe Blogs to change his GU 10 lamps or his centre lights but most houses have more than this type of fitting and the way I see it unless Philips make a Hue external led flood light , it's not going in your system, unless you like their three centre lights then you are stuck with a single bulb and a light shade.
    Instead of making a dimming socket that you can add your existing bedside fitting to, your choice from Philips is to buy their whole hue table lamp . And they are not inexpensive.

Unless Philips make it, you can't have it on their system. If Philips add a socket you could add non Philips floor lamps. Will they add dimmable sockets so you can use the floor lamps you paid 300 euro for already?
    This is why I think there is a place for a company like lightwaverf, who don't only make about 5 types light for you to choose from and three types of lamps.

Lightwaverfs will nearly switch any type of domestic lighting load.
    It will turn on your immersion if you want. This puts power , heating and lighting on the one ecosystem far better than IFTTT . Within the app you can run up a series of events to turn the immersion on, increase the temperature in the bathroom, close a blind and set timer to turn on a lighting scene for bathroom lighting in one system very quickly.

There are some downsides this flexibility, but it needs to be highlighted IMO

Most noticeably watch out for discontinued stock on eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I agree with you Stoner, lightwaverf does look like a nice system and it certainly does bring some nice features that Philips Hue are absolutely missing.

I'm glad to hear that despite the mostly one way comm nature of it, it largely works reliably.

Based on your posts Stoner, I'm certainly very interested in lwrf, but find it slightly hard to justify because I've already have lighting and heating largely sorted with Hue and Netatmo. So while I can think of a few uses, they are relatively marginal and thus more difficult to justify. Basically I'm thinking of using it for smart plugs and for control of the electric towel rails in the bathroom. But they are nice to haves, not most haves.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with both LWRF and Hue in the same home. They both use the same radio frequency, but different protocols, so I hope that it doesn't cause issues for you.

I'm also waiting to see how the lwrf integration with IFTTT, Amazon Echo and Google Home works out, to see if I can justify yet another hub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Hi,

Could someone point me in the right direction of where to buy and look at specs of the range please

Lightwaverf works at 433.92MHz frequency and isn't Zigbee 868 MHz in the EU

I'm not expecting any trouble. I've a Zigbee antenna in the house already but I won't go into that.
    I've decided to largely stay mainstream now I'm sold on the level of development and the speed that things get added onto system now.

A low level hobby man like myself can't keep up!

eurokev wrote:
    Could someone point me in the right direction of where to buy and look at specs of the range please

You get the specs on the lightwaverf site. And you'll get suppliers linked there too.

Amazon sell it
    Lightwaverfs have an eBay store too.

eurokev wrote:

The hub is on sale in maplins at the .moment £65

Lightwaverf works at 433.92MHz frequency and isn't Zigbee 868 MHz in the EU

According to the spec, it supports both:
    Radio Frequency: 433/868MHz

http://www.lightwaverf.com/product/lightwave-link/#product-specification

Both frequencies are actually open frequencies that can be used for any control protocol, similar to 2.4GHz and 5GHz. So yes, while Zigbee and Zwave use 868, they aren't the only ones and lots of other protocols (like LWRF) can also use that same frequency.

However you are right, I suspect you will be fine. Just keep it in mind if you do run into weird issues.

The hub is on sale in maplins at the .moment £65

Damn you Stoner! My credit card will be weeping! :P

bk wrote:
    However you are right, I suspect you will be fine. Just keep it in mind if you do run into weird issues.

That's the whole point bk!!

Just tested the lightwaverf Skill and echo.

Works very well

You can call single devices and or whole events

All the heating controls are there too.

You can make a group in the Alexa app and add devices it and call that group.

Impressed so far

So i have Alexa tuning on and off lamps, open the front Gate , switching groups like feomt room entertainment.

It's late now but I've blanked and added devices a number of time , but I seem to have lost all 7 heating devices. I'll try again tomorrow when it's all on

• Advertisement

open the front Gate

Very cool! You just need to add a smart door lock now and you can have the pizza guy deliver right to your sofa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bk wrote: »
    Very cool! You just need to add a smart door lock now and you can have the pizza guy deliver right to your sofa :D

There you go!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lightwaverf-lw930-wifi-link-new-version-a23rx Doesn't seem to be available for online purchase. And its €95 in Dublin.........grrrrrrr

then went off to the ebay store to look for the 5 socket bundle, and only available in chrome. I would be divorced if i tried to suggest chrome sockets at home.

Anyone have plain whit ones they would like to swap for chrome? I could buy the new chrome ones and swap then for your white ones ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

oinkely wrote: »
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lightwaverf-lw930-wifi-link-new-version-a23rx Doesn't seem to be available for online purchase. And its €95 in Dublin.........grrrrrrr

I was going to suggest the official site - thesmartshop.co.uk, but the site is currently down, and they're listing it at full price on their Facebook page. Parhaps contact them via that and see if they'll match the Maplin price?

oinkely wrote:
    Anyone have plain whit ones they would like to swap for chrome? I could buy the new chrome ones and swap then for your white ones ;-)

I might have three twins and a single . Might have some white twin dimmers too if you have chrome ones

The 5 bundle was in white too a few weeks ago.

Btw I have eco command for a socket called lamp. It works very quickly every time however some of the commands as can take 90 seconds

thanks Stoner and lgk,

fired a tweet to thesmartshop.

ordered two d-link wifi plugs at €25 each from mymemory in the mean time.

Stoner, if i get the bundle of chrome sockets i'll give you a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Michael malone

Folks,have my echo all set up working a treat with tp-link sockets but I cannot get the lightwaverf skill on the exho app. Any ideas

• Advertisement

Folks,have my echo all set up working a treat with tp-link sockets but I cannot get the lightwaverf skill on the exho app. Any ideas

Michael it was very easy for me. I just went into skills, my skills and searched fur lightwaverf. I was up and running in no time

Advertisement