Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows: Block Sun's Heat

Options
  • 11-03-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

My apartment bedroom has two large windows, and between March and September, the sun shines directly into the room which makes it very stuffy. Even if the outside air temp is chilly, the room is hot due to the sun. The curtains do little to prevent this heat building up.

I'm looking for a simple cheap solution to stop the sun's heat from entering through the windows. I'm in rented accommodation so I'm not looking for a neat elegant solution, just something practical to stop the heat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You can get solar film which is designed for this very problem.

Google threw up these suppliers but there may be more.
    http://www.atint.ie/anti-glare-window-film/heat-reflecting-window-film-filters.html
    http://www.visiongfp.ie/solar-film/

3M make a solar film but I don't know where you can get it.

It might be best to check how easily it can be removed just in case the landlord is unhappy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Hi, I have a similar problem.

I moved into a rental apartment last June and suffered through the huge solar heat gain last summer. This year I'm hoping I can do something to stop or reduce this.

The apartment windows are large, two rooms get the most sun:
    Living room Windows
    70" high x 94" wide
    70" high x 109" wide

Pantry
    71" high x 94" wide
    71" high x 71" wide

As I'm renting, I'm somewhat reluctant to spend a lot on this, but the building is also scheduled for some major renovations/upgrades including the installation of new windows! With that in mind, I'm not keen on installing the window film.

I came across these shades:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/redi-shade-light-filtering-white-48-inch/1000443173

Would these help?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seanynova wrote:
    As I'm renting, I'm somewhat reluctant to spend a lot on this, but the building is also scheduled for some major renovations/upgrades including the installation of new windows! With that in mind, I'm not keen on installing the window film.

I'd say the new windows will have an even better solar gain, so the problem will be worse.

Shades and shutters are the standard solution to this but not practical here.

Would blinds with special backing do the trick. At least they would survive a window upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd say the new windows will have an even better solar gain, so the problem will be worse.

Shades and shutters are the standard solution to this but not practical here.

Would blinds with special backing do the trick. At least they would survive a window upgrade

Yeah thanks, I think I'll try and find a set of blinds that might help, at least I might be able to use then for the future windows also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

seanynova wrote: »
    Yeah thanks, I think I'll try and find a set of blinds that might help, at least I might be able to use then for the future windows also.

Or ask the landlord to install them. No reason for you to be forking out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement