Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Curragh

Options
  • 04-12-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

The Curragh Golf Club have elected (at AGM last night) to change their name to Royal Curragh Golf Club. This is something they have been entitled to do for decades - following a Royal designation - but the discovery this year that the club is the oldest on the island (previously that was Royal Belfast), dating back to 1858, has prompted the club to reconsider its 'Royal' status.

Very interesting times ahead for the club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

indeed,

does this mean they will now be charging extra because its a royal course.

or are green fees and membership going to stay the same???

was actually thinking of joining next year, but Royal Curragh....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

The Curragh Golf Club have elected (at AGM last night) to change their name to Royal Curragh Golf Club. This is something they have been entitled to do for decades - following a Royal designation - but the discovery this year that the club is the oldest on the island (previously that was Royal Belfast), dating back to 1858, has prompted the club to reconsider its 'Royal' status.

Very interesting times ahead for the club.

What difference will this actually make Kevin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

It is difficult to predict what they'll do, but I could well imagine that they may want to improve peripherals - so, smarten up tee boxes, new signage, new paths. They may look at or talk to other Royals and see what sort of minimum standards are expected in the clubhouse, course maintenance, customer service. The Royal designation will put the club on the 'map' for British golfers, who may have minimum expectations - simple things like towels provided as standard.

What they'll do to the course will be a longer term project - assuming they have any plans at all. I think it's a brilliant course, partly because it's so natural, so I'm not expecting new green complexes, but tidying things up could make a big difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Royal Curragh has a nice ring to it all the same, best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Plus the fact that you can play any "Royal" golf course outside the UK and Ireland for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

It is difficult to predict what they'll do, but I could well imagine that they may want to improve peripherals - so, smarten up tee boxes, new signage, new paths. They may look at or talk to other Royals and see what sort of minimum standards are expected in the clubhouse, course maintenance, customer service. The Royal designation will put the club on the 'map' for British golfers, who may have minimum expectations - simple things like towels provided as standard.

What they'll do to the course will be a longer term project - assuming they have any plans at all. I think it's a brilliant course, partly because it's so natural, so I'm not expecting new green complexes, but tidying things up could make a big difference.

Well best of luck to them. I hope they do get increased overseas numbers and it benefits the local area as well.

Have to say I can't shake the feeling that it's all a bit "hoity toity" (not the Curragh the whole Royal thing in general) but then that's just the working class anti-royal coming out in me I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Played Royal Curragh on Saturday with a society.
    Smashing course with a great variety of holes. Set in heathland near the Curragh Military Camp, with furze covered knolls, it has a surprising amount of elevation. It was in great condition with excellent greens. Found the staff very helpful and competent too. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I have been meaning to play a round there, but this sounds like it will make it more annoying and costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

They've had the Royal part for a few years now, this is an old thread.

The open comps they run are are usually €20 and fantastic value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

IMHO its well work playing too, really enjoyed it the few times i was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I have been meaning to play a round there, but this sounds like it will make it more annoying and costly.

It's the oldest club in Ireland and has a lot of history attached to it. However it is not at all a high brow place. Clubhouse is modest enough with lots of old trophies and pennants and staff are very nice.

Advertisement