Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are people assholes on public transport?

• 25-05-2019 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Currently in a 2.5hr bus journey and there's one passenger listening to a film with really loud sound effects.

Despite having been asking to turn it down, he's sill listening to it fully aware that everyone around him is really pissed off!

Seems to have improved in the last minute or two but it's so rude & inconsiderate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Bus Wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They are just assholes, because they are on public transport just means you have to suffer them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Everyone who uses public transport is an asshole, that’s just life and something you as an asshole will have to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am waiting for the post from someone saying “ I’m on the bus trying to listen to a film and some asshole keeps annoying me “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sick of seeing scrotes horsing around on the Luas.

Vdz93Nv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In all seriousness, the Luas is great. Firstly, it's free. It's convenient too as it rolls past St James Hospital to sort out various diseases, the 4 courts for cases and then city centre to hassle people and get drugs. Phenomenal service.

It’s nothing to do with public transport, or even being ‘assholes’. In his head he’s not being an asshole, he’s just enjoying a film.

It’s just that a quite large proportion of people only think of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why are people assholes? fullstop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It’s nothing to do with public transport, or even being ‘assholes’. In his head he’s not being an asshole, he’s just enjoying a film.

Not being aware that you are an asshole is one of the key features of being an asshole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Headphone aren't expensive and often free, cannot understand why he wouldn't use them!

So so selfish, fair enough if you didn't realise how loud and annoying you are but to continue whenit is brought to your attention is total wankery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Headphone aren't expensive and often free, cannot understand why he wouldn't use them!

So so selfish, fair enough if you didn't realise how loud and annoying you are but to continue whenit is brought to your attention is total wankery.

as denis leary so eloquently put it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

People are assholes
    People use public transport
    => People on public transport are assholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Listen to your own movie, you cheap bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Omackeral wrote: »
    In all seriousness, the Luas is great. Firstly, it's free. It's convenient too as it rolls past St James Hospital to sort out various diseases, the 4 courts for cases and then city centre to hassle people and get drugs. Phenomenal service.

Arguably, one of the best observations ever made in AH.
    I tip my hat to you , sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Currently in a 2.5hr bus journey and there's one passenger listening to a film with really loud sound effects.

Despite having been asking to turn it down, he's sill listening to it fully aware that everyone around him is really pissed off!

Seems to have improved in the last minute or two but it's so rude & inconsiderate.

Because OP, **** you. **** everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,816 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I used get the bus one of my biggest bugbears was when people used sit beside me on a bus that was almost empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

When I used get the bus one of my biggest bugbears was when people used sit beside me on a bus that was almost empty.

Easy way to stop that is smile and pat the seat as they approach. You'll be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I will walk back home, even if it will make me late, if I ever forget my own earphones. Will never use public transport without them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Usually come from a welfare background, so zero accountability and no responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

fryup wrote: »

He stole that from louis CK

That makes him an asshole in my eyes

Birneybau wrote: »
    I will walk back home, even if it will make me late, if I ever forget my own earphones. Will never use public transport without them

It has the added advantage that you dont have to listen to the other assholes on the bus.

Easy way to stop that is smile and pat the seat as they approach. You'll be avoided at all costs.

I don't know. I've being felt up on the bus before by strangers who had to sit beside me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Usually come from a welfare background, so zero accountability and no responsibility.

There’s something wrong with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,298 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't know. I've being felt up on the bus before by strangers who had to sit beside me.

So are you saying you liked that then?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It has the added advantage that you dont have to listen to the other assholes on the bus.

Well, that was my point. :pac:

He stole that from louis CK

That makes him an asshole in my eyes

oh ya gotta link to prove it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

On my bus there's a load of people who leave a bag on the outside seat as if saving it for someone. If I was more of a dickhead I'd make it my business to sit in one of those seats, don't understand what the **** is wrong with these people.

There are also people who leave the seat tilted all the way back ( a slight tilt is fine) so you have no room for your legs if you sit behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was on a bus to Dublin this evening, and there was a lad directly behind me who started blaring music 15 minutes into my journey. After a bit it was replaced by spoken word/possibly radio in some foreign language that..eh...didn"t match his look...

I just turned up my own music (with my headphones on, of course! ).

AMKC wrote: »
    So are you saying you liked that then?

No I didn't like it but acting crazy wouldn't help I'd say.

oh ya gotta link to prove it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJmmoVFNXs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Cause most people are selfish and inconsiderate around people that they don't want something from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I remember years ago myself and my sister were on the late bus back home. She was sitting on the outside seat opposite me. The yoke beside her started messing with her legs, imagination required to picture it.... and sis just took out her cigarette lighter and burned the hand off him. Sweet.

I would politely ask for the sound to be turned down, failing that I think I'd just grab the offending article pro tem. For my sanity like. But it has never happened to me so I am just being the big I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

OP, find out the film and look it up, and then tell him all the plot twists, who dies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Because theres three types of people in this world, one of them type happens to be assholes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I use the Dublin bus and Luas on a regular basis and I find that most people on public transport are actually very polite and courteous.

There is the odd scumbag creating a scene on the Luas red line and a couple of ignorant passengers on the bus now and then but by and large, people are polite.

The one thing though is the looking into phones or out the window - but never directly at other passengers. It's sort of being in a crowd but keeping very much to yourself.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

On my bus there's a load of people who leave a bag on the outside seat as if saving it for someone. If I was more of a dickhead I'd make it my business to sit in one of those seats, don't understand what the **** is wrong with these people.

There are also people who leave the seat tilted all the way back ( a slight tilt is fine) so you have no room for your legs if you sit behind them.

This drives me bananas. You see people getting on a busy bus obviously looking for a seat and people just sit there slack jawed intentionally oblivious to the fact theyre taking up 2 seats. If you want 2 seats pay for 2 seats! Fair enough if the bus is quiet, take 2 for yourself and your crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This drives me bananas. You see people getting on a busy bus obviously looking for a seat and people just sit there slack jawed intentionally oblivious to the fact theyre taking up 2 seats. If you want 2 seats pay for 2 seats! Fair enough if the bus is quiet, take 2 for yourself and your crap.

Just sit on their bag without saying anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I cannot understand the logic of people on public transport having full blown conversation on their phone on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I cannot understand the logic of people on public transport having full blown conversations on their phone on a bus where no one else is doing it. I wonder do they ever notice no one else is at it or clearly they have no self awareness. The ones on facetime on the bus and me sitting like a facking potato in the background of the camera... I just don't think it's an appropriate location for this, often feel like asking in English or if the person's first language is not English searching for whatever I think the language is and saying "do you think its appropriate to have this convo on public transport"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Buses are nightmares. You can't drink for 3 days before using one in case you might want to pee and there's no stop for hours, some big fat person in a wet rain coat will be sure to sit in beside you, then jostle you half to death as they remove the damn thing and release the shock and awe of their rancid arm pits. Just when you've deadened your brain to that assault, they will bring forth their home made egg and scallion sandwich followed by a big bag of stinky meanies to finish you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

You should see the dicks in NY on the subway with a bluetooth speaker cranked up to the last. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People who refuse to carry tissues and just sit there sniffling and snorting for an hour. Especially when they snort/hack and swallow (younger men are particularly bad for this I find).

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Wouldn't it be terrible if someone accidentally spilled a bottle of Fanta all over yer man's phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Antares35 wrote: »
    People who refuse to carry tissues and just sit there sniffling and snorting for an hour. Especially when they snort/hack and swallow (younger men are particularly bad for this I find).

They barely have room in their pockets for phone/money/cigs with these stupid skinny jeans and you want to add more load :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Antares35 wrote: »
    People who refuse to carry tissues and just sit there sniffling and snorting for an hour.

Dirty bastards. They should use their sleeves like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ficheall wrote: »
    OP, find out the film and look it up, and then tell him all the plot twists, who dies etc.

That's some constructive advice right there. OP, please do this. It's the only way.

If you're even more fiendish, watch the movie yourself near him but be 10 seconds ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

if this one ever gets out of prison im sure she can assist you with any problem passengers on the bus...

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/las-vegas-woman-bus-elderly-man-232514617.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

franglan wrote: »
    I cannot understand the logic of people on public transport having full blown conversations on their phone on a bus where no one else is doing it. I wonder do they ever notice no one else is at it or clearly they have no self awareness. The ones on facetime on the bus and me sitting like a facking potato in the background of the camera... I just don't think it's an appropriate location for this, often feel like asking in English or if the person's first language is not English searching for whatever I think the language is and saying "do you think its appropriate to have this convo on public transport"...

I’ve no problem with anyone using their phone on public transport as long as they aren’t yelling. It’s no different to two people having a conversation at a reasonable volume. I don’t understand why people talking on their phones on PT annoys some people in and of itself. I only find it annoying if they are being loud or have put the call on loudspeaker which is always loud.

People with colds sniffling and coughing does annoy me but I’m aware that that’s unfair because people can’t help that. I’ve had colds where I couldn’t control the coughing and sniffling, no matter how much I tried. All I could do was cover my nose and mouth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement