Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good point to point destinations from Dublin?

Options
  • 23-05-2019 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a couple of destinations for over the summer, idea is to bring the bike on a train and cycle back to Dublin ~100-150km. What routes lend themselves to not travelling on N roads?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

you could try the Royal Canal

Thread on it here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747877

Could get the train to Athlone, do the greenway and then onto the Canal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you fancy something a bit further. Sligo to Dublin. Did it 2 years ago, met hardly any cars all day. Loads of quiet roads, I had 3 routes planned originally but took the quietest one I think. Another one allowed me to bail out and get a train.

https://www.strava.com/activities/975734911

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Train to Wexford, then head inland even 20km, and work your way up through Wicklow. Surprisingly quiet....and you have various options for more or less hills as come up Wicklow. The coast along Brittas Bay and through Wicklow town is pretty nice...from there you get painlessly onto the Kilcoole/Greystones Road. Alternatively, come up via Aughrim, Balllinaclash, Laragh and the Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Thurles is about 170 km away but really nice minor roads up through North Tipp, Laois, Kildare and West Dublin. It's a bit longer than you mentioned but has very few hills so not hard. Stradbally a good halfway point for a lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

you could try the Royal Canal

Thread on it here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747877

Could get the train to Athlone, do the greenway and then onto the Canal.

Or take the train to Longford, along the canal to Cloondara and then all the way back to Dublin on Royal Canal Greenway. 161km in total or 16km less if you skip the loop to Cloondara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks, they all sound great, im still building up my fitness but the canal looks like a good one to get started with.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

silverharp wrote: »

It's absolutely moronic. Why Fáilte Ireland don't tear them a new one I don't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Currently on a train now with bike. As I got on, the bike rack was full of luggage. The IR staff had no hesitation in hoofing it out though and putting it overhead.

Same happened o a friend in Friday.

The bike racks only have space for 2 officially but we've safely and securely fit 5 or 6 on them in the past

Is Sat morning a dodgy time for people having the same idea? best take a Friday off and get an early morning train?

• Advertisement
Advertisement