Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Fair play to Tipp after a fantastic performance Sunday. Hard to see anyone beating them this year.

I certainly wouldn't go that far, but to dismiss them as contenders is equally bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Fair play to Tipp after a fantastic performance Sunday. Hard to see anyone beating them this year.

I certainly wouldn't go that far, but to dismiss them as contenders is equally bizarre.
    Should have beaten Galway 2 years ago in the semi, where they would have gone on and won the final after. One bad year doesn't make a bad team. They'll have 10 - 15 points on Waterford Sunday anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Really good performance from Tipp, but hard to know where Cork are. This weekend will be far more revealing of where we stand.
    Moving us to 7/2 with Limerick at 10/3 is a big overreaction, but then its Paddy Power and someone probably stuck a tenner on em after sunday.

1 match is far too little to judge if we are contenders or not, but its an excellent start and well done to team and management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What sort of traffic restrictions will there be around the stadium on Sunday? Coming from Dublin and looking to park near the ground, would there be any hassle getting over to the dog track/LIT side via the square?

Should have beaten Galway 2 years ago in the semi, where they would have gone on and won the final after. One bad year doesn't make a bad team. They'll have 10 - 15 points on Waterford Sunday anyway.

I appreciate you are trying to play the cute hoorism card but its not very convincing!

What will be very interesting on Sunday is the set up that Waterford take, if they revert to the ultra conservative sweeper/s then management are on a hiding to nothing and if beaten will be accused of making the same mistakes as McGrath but if they go man for man with the Tipp 6 forwards in the open spaces of Semple Stadium it could also get very ugly.

Midfield will also be very interesting, especially how Noel McGrath goes if Conor Gleeson sticks to him in a man marking job.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

What sort of traffic restrictions will there be around the stadium on Sunday? Coming from Dublin and looking to park near the ground, would there be any hassle getting over to the dog track/LIT side via the square?

Unless you specifically want to head to the dog track another option is just drive past two mile borris and head to the Horse and Jockey and come in by the golf course you will avoid the square and if you head to the industrial estate you could park there and you are a ten minute walk to the stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Can I ask you both that if Tipp aren't one of the top contenders who to jaysus are?

One of the teams that has shown an ability to put back to back performances together. That would be Limerick, Galway, Clare and Kilkenny for me.
    If Tipp can repeat that level of performance against Waterford and Clare then they can be considered a contender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Can I ask you both that if Tipp aren't one of the top contenders who to jaysus are?

"Tipp were without a win in the Munster Senior Hurling Championship since the 2016 final and they’d won just two of their last nine games in all competitions. Their summer last year was over on 10 June."

Tipp and all the teams are contenders (!) but lets not get carried away with one win against Cork - one game at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Beat Waterford on Sunday and we could be the first team guaranteed to be in All Ireland q/f on the condition Limerick then beat Cork. Thats if i'm getting my sums right anyway. Nice place to be if we can manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't see us being anywhere close this year.

You can't trust them, they're great one day and terrible the next. No consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You can't trust them, they're great one day and terrible the next. No consistency.

Certainly in the league just when you thought they were up and running they turned in a listless performance so having answered alot of questions last week that's the next one up - put two good performances back to back.

I'd imagine Sheedy will start with a very similar team to Sunday, Dan for O'Meara if he doesn't make it. Forde didn't have his best day but I'd expect for him to be retained. Waterford will try to flood the middle so it'll be interesting to see how we react to that. They generally play their best stuff in Thurles so this will be a big test.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Certainly in the league just when you thought they were up and running they turned in a listless performance so having answered alot of questions last week that's the next one up - put two good performances back to back.

I'd imagine Sheedy will start with a very similar team to Sunday, Dan for O'Meara if he doesn't make it. Forde didn't have his best day but I'd expect for him to be retained. Waterford will try to flood the middle so it'll be interesting to see how we react to that. They generally play their best stuff in Thurles so this will be a big test.

Apart from Limerick I think most teams had a similar league, one or two good performances and a couple of very low energy/ poor games.

I think the round robin has had a very detrimental effect on the effort levels for the league.

Dan back for Niall O Meara is the logical move, Dan and Bonnar will clog up a lot around the Waterford half backs/ midfield where they try and outnumber opponents. Looking at the Waterford gme on the telly during the week, some of the Waterford players were very quiet against Clare, Paudric Mahony, the two Bennetts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

I hear there will be 1 change ; Alan Flynn in at wing back and Ronan M back into the corner. O'Brien to drop out.

maximo31 wrote: »
    I hear there will be 1 change ; Alan Flynn in at wing back and Ronan M back into the corner. O'Brien to drop out.

While Ronan in at corner back doesn't make any sense I'd imagine the thinking is that Waterford will only play 1 or 2 in the inside line so Ronan most likely will be the free man.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

maximo31 wrote: »

Good shout!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Alan Flynn is the only change to the Tipperary team to take on Waterford in round 2 of the Munster SHC at Semple Stadium on Sunday (throw-in 2pm).
    The Kiladangan clubman replaces Sean O'Brien at wing-back as Liam Sheedy's men look to continue their fine start to the provincial campaign.

Tipperary (Munster SHC v Waterford): Brian Hogan; Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Ronan Maher; Brendan Maher, Padraic Maher, Alan Flynn; Noel McGrath, Michael Breen; Jason Forde, Patrick Maher, Niall O'Meara; John O'Dwyer, Seamus Callanan, John McGrath.

Subs: Paul Maher, Ger Browne, Robert Byrne, Willie Connors, Tom Fox, Barry Heffernan, Seamus Kennedy, Donagh Maher, Dan McCormack, Jake Morris, Sean O'Brien

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Strange to see no Cian Darcy in the 26 after getting game time last week and Mark Kehoe gone too, unless its fitness issues in either or both cases. Two defenders in to replace them which is interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Strange to see no Cian Darcy in the 26 after getting game time last week and Mark Kehoe gone too, unless its fitness issues in either or both cases. Two defenders in to replace them which is interesting.

Thought the same, not a huge amount of forward options on the bench.
    Last weeks performance is a big step in the right direction. Much more aggressive and urgent, but mainly the use of the ball to not hit it in high on top of the forwards was massively encouraging.

Not the perfect performance though. Lots of frees conceded that were the only reason Cork were in it in the first half. We also took the foot off the gas towards the end and probably left about 2-05 behind us that we should have scored. Scoreline did flatter Cork a bit in the end imo.

Waterford won't be easy. They know if they lose that will in all likelihood be them finished for the year. If we perform like we can, then I see us winning. But we need to put 2 good performances back to back.

One of the things about the frees we conceded last week especially in the firts half, we were definitely a bit cynical we certainly made sure when we were isolated one on one that we weren't going to give up a goal chance.
    If we can push up on their puck outs and either force them long or to a corner back who then has to go long, it will really be in our favour. Padraig Mahony won't win primary possession, neither will Tommy Ryan or the two midfielders, so we should get a good supply on possession.
    Will there be late changes on both teams? Noel Connors and Niall O Meara both looked seriously injured coming off last week.
    The ball into our forwards was great last week, even Ronan who cleared some really quick ball with his lovely quick wrists was keeping it low and to the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Minors 1.09 to 1.06 up at half time. Much improved from last week but still very scrappy. Lots of poor wides and misplaced passes from both teams.
    Waterford down to 14. A straight shoulder into the head/chest are of a player who couldn't protect himself.
    Hopefully they drive on now in the 2nd half

• Advertisement

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    Minors 1.09 to 1.06 up at half time. Much improved from last week but still very scrappy. Lots of poor wides and misplaced passes from both teams.
    Waterford down to 14. A straight shoulder into the head/chest are of a player who couldn't protect himself.
    Hopefully they drive on now in the 2nd half

Tipp minors making heavy weather of it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

That was far from a complete performance but it’s great to beat anyone by double scores so I will take it happily !!!

Tough senior game to analyse..... we seemed to play much better when it was 15 vs 15. Seemed to regress when Conor Gleeson was sent off and was pretty poor to let Waterford back into it at 0-20 to 0-17. For the last 20 minutes though Tipp dominated and scored 2-10 to 0-01. Hard to know was this a result of Waterford fading or Tipp going up a gear to finish it. Will need to up the intensity for the Clare game. Win that and should be making it out of Munster this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Far from a complete performs win by 18 points....we’ll win the AI handy so. There seems to be a theme if Tipp lose Tipp are crap Tipp win the other team are crap. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Far from a complete performs win by 18 points....we’ll win the AI handy so. There seems to be a theme if Tipp lose Tipp are crap Tipp win the other team are crap. Go figure.

Waterford seemed to down tools after our first goal.... or maybe it was just fatigue from loosing a man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

digzy wrote: »
    Waterford seemed to down tools after our first goal.... or maybe it was just fatigue from loosing a man

We lost a man against them last year and certainly didn’t down tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I think we controlled that match well even when Waterford came close to us. We never looked like losing the lead. Alan Flynn was great I thought. Everyone played good stuff except maybe Seamus. He did however get an assist and a goal. A lot of brilliant points throughout the match. Hard to pick the best. Also great to see and be a part of such a good turnout. I wasn’t in Thurles last year but this is my first of a few more I hope. Hon Tipp! Life is good for Tipp folk again.

OAOB wrote: »
    One of the teams that has shown an ability to put back to back performances together. That would be Limerick, Galway, Clare and Kilkenny for me.
    If Tipp can repeat that level of performance against Waterford and Clare then they can be considered a contender

Tough men to please!

And when exactly have Clare of Kilkenny last put back to back performances together?

The most pleasing thing for me was the fact that the two players that were criticised from the first game were the two best players on the pitch and the majority of subs contributed very well.

The younger players looked very light, maybe that's what's holding them back. Barry Heffernan has good ability but again very light, good in the loose but was physically dominated. If he bulked up he could nail a starting position.

Delighted for Breen, possibly his best performance in the blue and gold. Has pace, work rate, ability, can take a score, has all the right attributes.

Clare in ennis will be a war zone. Another 50/50 game. Reasons to be optimistic going forward.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

The younger players looked very light, maybe that's what's holding them back. Barry Heffernan has good ability but again very light, good in the loose but was physically dominated. If he bulked up he could nail a starting position.

Delighted for Breen, possibly his best performance in the blue and gold. Has pace, work rate, ability, can take a score, has all the right attributes.

Clare in ennis will be a war zone. Another 50/50 game. Reasons to be optimistic going forward.

Heffernan was all at sea for about 10 minutes after coming in but once he settled was outstanding, his distribution is top drawer, but I would agree he lacks a physical presence or a bit of 'cut'

The most pleasing thing for me was the fact that the two players that were criticised from the first game were the two best players on the pitch and the majority of subs contributed very well.

Indeed very pleasing, particularly for Jason, but i honestly dont know where the criticism for Mick Breen would have been coming from after the Cork game. Simply performed a different role that day, a much more containing one, and did it very well. Stopped a raft of Cork runs coming through the middle. Yesterday, obviously freed up for a more attacking role, but still kept a tight rein on Jamie Barron i thought. A very complete midfield performance. Like others, I have been critical of him in the past, on a number of occasions it must be said, but his attributes are obvious for all to see and great if he can keep imposing himself on matches. Confidence wont be an issue if we can keep our momentum going anyway.

Where’s evolving Tipperary?
    Usually pops up to argue the toss for each post...

A few things after the first two games.
    Tipp are hurling with great passion and commitment, every single plyer looks fitter sharper than last year.
    Cathal Barret has been outstanding, James Barry composed, we've looked solid at the back. Cork must have thought our half back line would be the weak link, after playing Aidan Walsh for most of the league they throw him in against Limerick and fire long ball over the Limerick half back line and take possibly Limerick's strongest line out of the game.

You wonder against Tipp did they think Tipp's lack of pace at half back could be exploited?
    Credit to Seamie, on a poor day by his standards his workrate was again outstanding, himself and Bonnar really shut down the Waterford half back line in th esecond half.
    One small dissappointment yesterday was our half back line didn't drive forard like they did against Cork. We ended up hitting a lot of long direct ball end of the first half early second half. Last week we would have been driving forward more forcing our opponents onto the backfoot.
    Two from two is a fantastic return, but two tough games await.
    All credit to Michael Breen, I was critical of him in Cork, but yesterday he was outstanding. Breen, Ronan, John Mc. and Jason Forde are all players with an amazing talent. Finding playing tactics patterns etc to maximise them as the next leaders is massive for Tipperary Hurling.

I thought Breen had a fine game, I was watching him closely at the match and he completely sacrificed his own game in order to curtail Fitzgibbon who has done untold damage to Tipp in the past, Breen's role is to compliment Noel and allow Noel to pull the strings, its not realistic to have two guys dominating possession and controlling play in midfield, he's the perfect foil for Noel.
    Indeed very pleasing, particularly for Jason, but i honestly dont know where the criticism for Mick Breen would have been coming from after the Cork game. Simply performed a different role that day, a much more containing one, and did it very well. Stopped a raft of Cork runs coming through the middle. Yesterday, obviously freed up for a more attacking role, but still kept a tight rein on Jamie Barron i thought. A very complete midfield performance. Like others, I have been critical of him in the past, on a number of occasions it must be said, but his attributes are obvious for all to see and great if he can keep imposing himself on matches. Confidence wont be an issue if we can keep our momentum going anyway.

Obviously I couldn't agree more :D

farmerval wrote: »
    A few things after the first two games.
    Tipp are hurling with great passion and commitment, every single plyer looks fitter sharper than last year.
    Cathal Barret has been outstanding, James Barry composed, we've looked solid at the back. Cork must have thought our half back line would be the weak link, after playing Aidan Walsh for most of the league they throw him in against Limerick and fire long ball over the Limerick half back line and take possibly Limerick's strongest line out of the game.

You wonder against Tipp did they think Tipp's lack of pace at half back could be exploited?
    Credit to Seamie, on a poor day by his standards his workrate was again outstanding, himself and Bonnar really shut down the Waterford half back line in th esecond half.
    One small dissappointment yesterday was our half back line didn't drive forard like they did against Cork. We ended up hitting a lot of long direct ball end of the first half early second half. Last week we would have been driving forward more forcing our opponents onto the backfoot.
    Two from two is a fantastic return, but two tough games await.
    All credit to Michael Breen, I was critical of him in Cork, but yesterday he was outstanding. Breen, Ronan, John Mc. and Jason Forde are all players with an amazing talent. Finding playing tactics patterns etc to maximise them as the next leaders is massive for Tipperary Hurling.

Good post. I've no doubt Cork did think they could run through our defence and exploit that much talked about lack of pace. Sure wasnt every second pundit in the country pretty much assuming the same thing? One thing i think people overlooked was that if you could take anything from the League, it was that the Tipp defence was gelling very well together and performing as a solid unit. The key was restoring faith in Barry, who should never have been scapegoated for last years league final debacle to begin with, getting Barrett back to somewhere approaching 2016 levels and having Brendan fit again. Flynn could be the final piece of that jigsaw. Whether its good enough for an all ireland i cant really say, but personally i believe its as good as whats out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭BOSTIK

Donagh Maher, Sean O'Brien & Seamus Kennedy & all left on the bench last Sunday. Wouldn't have thought that Barry Heffernan was ahead of Maher as a wing back. Not a bad complaint I suppose.

Willie Connors was good again when sprung, though seeing Robert Byrne playing as a forward was surprising. I don't think we'd get away with that again.

A point out of Ennis should see us through, a win there is certainly feasible as Clare's backs are nowhere near as mean as the '90s crowd.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Donagh Maher, Sean O'Brien & Seamus Kennedy & all left on the bench last Sunday. Wouldn't have thought that Barry Heffernan was ahead of Maher as a wing back. Not a bad complaint I suppose.

Willie Connors was good again when sprung, though seeing Robert Byrne playing as a forward was surprising. I don't think we'd get away with that again.

A point out of Ennis should see us through, a win there is certainly feasible as Clare's backs are nowhere near as mean as the '90s crowd.

I think Barry Heff would have more pure hurling in him than the others mentioned so was possibly the chosen option on sunday as waterford were a man down, but as to the overall pecking order, i'd find it hard to say. Donagh and SOB are solid enough without ever having bowled me over while i'm not sure Seamie has pushed on since 2016, but remains a great option to have on the bench. Barrys been a bit unlucky with injury and definitely has the ability, just that question of the intensity of championship games tending to pass him by a bit. He's obviously going well, though, which is good as we need these guys pushing those ahead of them again.

I think the last 10-15 minutes of last sundays game are worth nothing much, they'd given up and it had less intensity than a training match. Ennis is going to be savage, we need to cut out the few little lapses in concentration we've showed both weeks so far, will be a tighter game i'm certain, but still confident we have enough to get a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

i think seamie is a lot better than an option off the bench

• Advertisement

1373 wrote: »
    i think seamie is a lot better than an option off the bench

Not really sure what you could possible base this on? Since 2016 he has been poor at best and if you are starting Kennedy who are you proposing to leave out?

Not really sure what you could possible base this on? Since 2016 he has been poor at best and if you are starting Kennedy who are you proposing to leave out?

Maybe someone's confusing the two 'seamies' !

To be fair there is only one Seamie :D - Tipperary's all time record goal scorer in little over a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

lucky im not picking the team, would have seamie call at corner back and seamie kennedy taking frees at 14

1373 wrote: »
    lucky im not picking the team, would have seamie call at corner back and seamie kennedy taking frees at 14

How are you keeping Babs :D

Any word on Brendan Maher or Niall O'Meara? Tough trip to Ennis coming up, need both players fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ompala wrote: »
    Any word on Brendan Maher or Niall O'Meara? Tough trip to Ennis coming up, need both players fit

Think Maher was only feeling unwell so he should be ok anyway

Hurling can be a funny game. The goal was rocket fuel to us whereas it killed that little bit of momentum Waterford had in spite of there only being 6 in it with 15 left. Its possible the extra man on the field plus the spring in Tipps step contributed to Waterfords collapse

I can have no complaints so far. I think Sheedy has got our strength and conditioning absolutely spot on. We look lean and hungry. Yes, we dipped a bit in that game and perhaps should have kept the scoreboard ticking over, but we were persistant and the goal came and thus the floodgates opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

the start of the year shows what a complete waste the last 2 years have been.
    2010 should have been the start of something special, we should have multiple championships this decade
    this decade has been a lost decade - there was too many mistakes made by management
    1. sheedy quitting in 2010 and oshea leaving with him
    2. dropping bubbles in 2016 and re instating him just in time - ryan got lucky there
    3. dropping completely barrett in 2017 - barrett was just too important to drop and mick ryan should have known that
    4. eamon o shea naming an unchanged team and using same tactics for replay in 2014 - cody made the changes
    5. 2012 tactics against kilkenny were an utter disgrace

liam sheedy is correct in saying that tipp are inconsistent but it is also true to say that sheedy leaving in 2010, eamon o shea went too, is the real reason why tipp have so under performed this decade.
    Sheedy owes Tipp, i hope he gets some redemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

2010 should have been the start of something special, we should have multiple championships this decade
    this decade has been a lost decade - there was too many mistakes made by management
    2. dropping bubbles in 2016 and re instating him just in time - ryan got lucky there
    3. dropping completely barrett in 2017 - barrett was just too important to drop and mick ryan should have known that
    4. eamon o shea naming an unchanged team and using same tactics for replay in 2014 - cody made the changes

liam sheedy is correct in saying that tipp are inconsistent but it is also true to say that sheedy leaving in 2010, eamon o shea went too, is the real reason why tipp have so under performed this decade.

What does he owe them? Won an all Ireland, not his fault the players and managers that came after largely failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Or you could have said that the start of the year has been brilliant from Tipp players and management so far. Having positive vibes about the future instead of negative memories will work better for you. Sheedy is back and that's all that matters. He made his decision to leave after the AI in 2010, and while I cursed him in the immediate aftermath, I still got over it and haven't held him accountable for what happened after.

I'm a Liverpool fan as well as a Tipperary supporter so I prefer to think and believe positively. This could well be our year! It's been a joy to watch the Reds this season and after 2 games this year it's a damn good start for Tipperary!

Don't be wasting your time blaming Sheedy for Tipp's fortunes since 2010.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement