Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Nice win for the hurlers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Huge win for the hurlers, Meath might be a bridge too far but to get a win in Ruislip is as good a result as they've managed in some time.

Fair play to the minors too, great bottle shown by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Unchanged from Leitrim game

D7P9FSlXsAAVkr7?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

the rubards are cock sure of them self's as usual,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Are they ?
    I haven't heard any crowing from them locally or in the media .

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Are they ?
    I haven't heard any crowing from them locally or in the media .

i was just after reading an article from john Maughan when I wrote that, but your right, they are keeping fairly quite

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

i was just after reading an article from john Maughan when I wrote that, but your right, they are keeping fairly quite

I wouldn't read too much into John Maughan, given he thinks we played Leitrim in Carrick on Shannon it shows how in depth his analysis is.

the rhubarbs gave us an awful beating in the minor tonight,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Thats simply not true, we're confident allright and why wouldnt we be but far from being cocky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Thats simply not true, we're confident allright and why wouldnt we be but far from being cocky

Why would you be confident out of interest? In the last 3 years your championship record at McHale park consists of a draw with Derry, 2 losses to Galway and a dive to beat Fermanagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why would you be confident out of interest? In the last 3 years your championship record at McHale park consists of a draw with Derry, 2 losses to Galway and a dive to beat Fermanagh

Three wins at home in the league this year and then going onto win it outright. There's a feel good factor too with Horan back and some new blood in the panel. Not to mention we've an excellent record against Roscommon in the Championship the last while.

Three wins at home in the league this year and then going onto win it outright. There's a feel good factor too with Horan back and some new blood in the panel. Not to mention we've an excellent record against Roscommon in the Championship the last while.

After years of needing 13 steps to avoid relegation and telling us the league doesn't matter, suddenly league is important? In the last 3 years alone with yer greatest ever team, Mayo have lost as strong favs to Kildare and Galway x3 as well as draws with Derry, Cork and a rob of Fermanagh. The "excellent record" against Roscommon consists of a draw in a game Ros felt they left behind. This air of arrogance that's been creeping in online and on social media feels very without basis

After years of needing 13 steps to avoid relegation and telling us the league doesn't matter, suddenly league is important? In the last 3 years alone with yer greatest ever team, Mayo have lost as strong favs to Kildare and Galway x3 as well as draws with Derry, Cork and a rob of Fermanagh. The "excellent record" against Roscommon consists of a draw in a game Ros felt they left behind. This air of arrogance that's been creeping in online and on social media feels very without basis

Who said the league didn't matter?! Getting relegated to Divison 2 can cause big problems. Look at the likes of Cork and Derry for example. After the Tyrone game in February, I said that we should be pushing on to win it. We'll see if it makes a difference but mentally, it's a boost to the players, young and old.

Out of all the defeats and draws you've listed there, the only one that mattered was Kildare. The rest were irrelevant.

When's the last time we lost to Roscommon? It is an excellent record. There's not much point in mentioning the FBD.

I wouldn't know about any arrogance, haven't seen any myself. Any Mayo person that's cock sure of winning an All-Ireland must have amnesia.

Noone was mentioning the FBD? Roscommon threw away a draw game against Mayo in Croke Park in 2017. There's been comments online for years pre 2019 that league is irrelevant. The only defeat that matters is Kildare? So now Connacht is irrelevant? All those 5 in a row brags for years seem a bit strange. We'll remember that if Mayo finally lift Nestor again in 4 weeks time

Noone was mentioning the FBD? Roscommon threw away a draw game against Mayo in Croke Park in 2017. There's been comments online for years pre 2019 that league is irrelevant. The only defeat that matters is Kildare? So now Connacht is irrelevant? All those 5 in a row brags for years seem a bit strange. We'll remember that if Mayo finally lift Nestor again in 4 weeks time

Roscommon threw away that game in 2017 alright but if's and buts. We could also say that Mayo should have beaten Galway a couple of times recently too.

Fair enough, I'll give you last year's game. That defeat against Galway in Castlebar was costly and not irrelevant but Mayo were spent last year, we wouldn't have gotten near an All-Ireland. We'll see if the break has done us good, the evidence in the league would suggest it has.

Hopefully we'll be lifting the Nestor in a few weeks. Roscommon first though, looking past them would be arrogant :)

The flip flopping gets me a bit. Your not the first person to call the Connacht defeats irrelevant. Connacht's pre 2016 were celebrated as if they were all Ireland's but didn't matter when beaten. There were any number of people including on here saying they didn't want to be in the league final. Then when won there were grown men crying in the stands. Every county gets a bit of hysteria but it certainly applies to Mayo more than anyone.

Can see Roscommon giving a right good game tonight, certainly think the best two forwards on display are Murtagh and Cox. Granted the Mayo full back line looks very solid. Have always felt Ros Achilles heel is their restarts. They can't allow the ball to go to midfield but I haven't seen a cohesive short kickout strategy before from them. Bench looks a little more full now, especially with Devaney

a lot of fellas seem to forget that its only 2 or 3 years since we drew with them in crocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

a lot of fellas seem to forget that its only 2 or 3 years since we drew with them in crocker

It's also 2 years since they gave us the mother of all hammerings in the replay.
    Absolutely dire record in McHale Park and ya can forgive the lack of optimism in the county.
    The last time we bet Mayo in the championship, Mayo were reigning League Champions, here's hoping things repeat themselves!!

Will Murtagh or E Smith start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hon the ****ing Rossies

• Advertisement

Yeve stole one with Cox to be fair. That was an incredible performance by him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Great win very well done ye where the better team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

More composed team. Came with a plan and executed it. Why we left Harry on Cox for the full game is beyond me. Messiah needs to listen to some disciples as he didn't in his previous term. Best of luck against Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Some performance. The Mayo wildlings shouting Mayo for Sam at halftime to everyone going to the jacks were fairly quietened by the final whistle. Not a single player on the panel was alive the last time we did this. A massive monkey off our backs and now the attention can turn to the annual meeting with Galway and hopefully another crack at the Super 8s.

Up Ros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Although ye have been Cavan's Bogey team for the past decade or so the craic in the stands at any of our recent meetings has been top notch

Congratulations on today. Hopefully see ye all in the Super 8s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

Oh Jesus, that was f*cking orgasmic!!!!

The big problem was I wasn't bloody there! Down in Limerick for All-Ireland Community Games and couldn't get back in time. Then I was thinking, outside of the 1991 draw every other time I've gone down there we've got beaten, usually hammered - maybe I'm a bloody jinx!

Thank you to all the players and management, that was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

Conor Hussey was absolutely super tonight. Super stuff in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Well played lads. Truly well played!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Well done the rossies. Should or could won that 2017 drawn All Ireland quarter final but tonight the unreal desire was there to make sure a victory wasn't left behind them again. Makes for a very interesting Connacht final now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Well done to Roscommon last night on a outstanding win totally against the odds and against a side that had seriously momentum from winning their first national title for 18 years.

What impressed me most about Roscommon was the intensity brought to the game and how they forced Mayo to take on a number of shots under pressure. The win was hard earned in the face of adversity late on and there isn't many better ways to win a game than that.

Woke up with a big smile on my face this morning.

And then I started laughing when I thought of that donkey David Brady and his "at least 12-15 point victory" prediction on Matt Cooper on Friday night.

He typified the old Mayo player (not the current bunch) who looked great when things were going their way, but was nowhere to be seen when the going got tough. Now he's spouting thoughtless rubbish on a regular basis through the media. A serious lack of grey matter on and off the pitch.

The question I’ll ask is do ye see Roscommon getting further than mayo this yr.ye have had a poor league with getting relegated and I think ye where at least 4/5 points up at one stage only for us to claw it back and nearly take it to Xtra time.
    Also do ye have enough to get over Galway I have my doubts

naughto wrote: »
    The question I’ll ask is do ye see Roscommon getting further than mayo this yr.ye have had a poor league with getting relegated and I think ye where at least 4/5 points up at one stage only for us to claw it back and nearly take it to Xtra time.

Who cares. We'll worry about that later in the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Jaysus bitter much?

BullBauld wrote: »
    Jaysus bitter much?

How am I bitter when I congratulate the great win ye had a few post up.
    I watched the game back today and shocking is not word for or display it’s like we thought we could win it at only 60% the way it went on.
    It’s when you watch it back you see a lot more on both sides.your midfield is very poor I feel Galway will target it if they can keep cox quite something we never did did all game then ye will be in bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

How am I bitter when I congratulate the great win ye had a few post up.
    I watched the game back today and shocking is not word for or display it’s like we thought we could win it at only 60% the way it went on.
    It’s when you watch it back you see a lot more on both sides.your midfield is very poor I feel Galway will target it if they can keep cox quite something we never did did all game then ye will be in bother.

We have more to our forwards than just cox. Enda and Diarmuid will be back fully fit. And even with the Ref giving mayo everything yesterday we still beat ye. Even his umpires gave ye a point that was two feet wide. Jog on sore loser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Did you get that salt from the dunking you took last night?

I heard earlier that on the Shannonside broadcast there was a very audible "ah f*ck it" when Mayo got that last (dodgy) free. Not sure who it was, but two separate people heard it.

Anybody got a soundbite?

Mayo wave

Joe Brolly was 100% right when he talked about Mayo this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Mayo wave

Joe Brolly was 100% right when he talked about Mayo this evening.

The problem was, all he wanted to do was talk about Mayo. TSG didn't really care that Roscommon won, but were obssessed with the fact that Mayo lost. To be expected though.

Regardless, that's some boost to the team's confidence and a really annoying monkey off the back. I truly wasn't expecting the result. Very satisfying watching it back again yesterday.

Galway won't take us half as lightly as Mayo seemed to, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Clare supporter here , fair play is good sport,ye won and deserved to win .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bill Hill

Roscommon have a sweet side, would be great see them really push the big guns this year. Conor Cox was immense too and he could be a big asset to the Rossies. Heres a Top Scorers table for the Connacht Championship if anyones interested. billhillwicklow.com/list/connacht-senior-football-championship-top-scorers-table-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

megadodge wrote: »
    I heard earlier that on the Shannonside broadcast there was a very audible "ah f*ck it" when Mayo got that last (dodgy) free. Not sure who it was, but two separate people heard it.

Anybody got a soundbite?

would love to hear this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

The problem was, all he wanted to do was talk about Mayo. TSG didn't really care that Roscommon won, but were obssessed with the fact that Mayo lost. To be expected though.

Regardless, that's some boost to the team's confidence and a really annoying monkey off the back. I truly wasn't expecting the result. Very satisfying watching it back again yesterday.

Galway won't take us half as lightly as Mayo seemed to, though.

That's not true.....All Brolly wanted to talk about was Mayo, Cahill (and Whelan) tried several times to talk about Roscommon but Brolly kept going back to Mayo, he is some tool.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Well lads, what's the story with tickets? The county board have said they only have a limited number of Section B stand tickets for sale - which aren't great being at one side of the pitch. How can all the middle sections be gone already? Back in 2017 I got decent tickets from the county board around the middle of the field. Is it worth biding some time in case better ones come up? Tickets.ie had sections j and k in the stand available yesterday but terrace only now on their site.

So looking like the CB have finally admitted they dont want to go ahead with CoE in Runabracken .
    A mess since day one and now looking for alternative sites closer to Roscommon town.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

So looking like the CB have finally admitted they dont want to go ahead with CoE in Runabracken .
    A mess since day one and now looking for alternative sites closer to Roscommon town.

Given 3/4 of players involved in u20s and Senior are based in Dublin/Galway the further south in the county they go the better for all involved.
    Speaking to a lad who was on the fringes of the county senior panel a few years ago and based in Dublin he used hate when it got into summer months and training was in the Hyde rather than Kiltoom/Lomans(Mullingar) as it added at least 50 minutes extra a night to his travel.

Ideally somewhere between Ganlys and Hannons would be best IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

blazermel wrote: »
    Well lads, what's the story with tickets? The county board have said they only have a limited number of Section B stand tickets for sale - which aren't great being at one side of the pitch. How can all the middle sections be gone already? Back in 2017 I got decent tickets from the county board around the middle of the field. Is it worth biding some time in case better ones come up? Tickets.ie had sections j and k in the stand available yesterday but terrace only now on their site.

Season tickets/corporate giveaways will take up a fair chunk I would imagine. Covered stand in Salthill isn't that big either, much smaller than Castlebar.

Given 3/4 of players involved in u20s and Senior are based in Dublin/Galway the further south in the county they go the better for all involved.
    Speaking to a lad who was on the fringes of the county senior panel a few years ago and based in Dublin he used hate when it got into summer months and training was in the Hyde rather than Kiltoom/Lomans(Mullingar) as it added at least 50 minutes extra a night to his travel.

Ideally somewhere between Ganlys and Hannons would be best IMO

That was an issue ten years ago when they were looking for sites but they still went ahead with Runabracken.
    It was a crazy decision then and still is but now they have spent a fortune but nothing to show for it.

The AIT offer was a great option to have back then but wasnt taken up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Any truth to the report I heard that Ultan Harney suffered a knee ligament injury in training midweek?
    Please be the usual barstool BS.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement