Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Kia Sportage acceleration issue

• 24-05-2019 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I have a 2019 new model Kia Sportage 1.6 Diesel, manual with an intermittent fault. When accelerating out of a junction or onto a roundabout sometimes there can be a delay/hesitation in power resulting in me in the middle of the road or roundabout for 2-3 seconds! Also there can be a flat spot/delay when changing up gears. Car is back in the Kia garage again for the 2nd time but the issue has not happened for them so they say there is no issue with the car. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭McCrack

1.6 diesal

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ldamo

McCrack wrote: »
    1.6 diesal

Yes a 1.6 diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

What car did you have previously?

A lot of large modern cars with relatively small diesel engines are fairly gutless and most of the rev range is flat. If you are even minutely in the wrong gear there can be no power on tap even with the boot planted for a couple of seconds, the kind of situation that an older car would pull itself out of, some newer stuff just wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭McCrack

ldamo wrote: »
    Yes a 1.6 diesel

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

ldamo wrote:
    Hi, I have a 2019 new model Kia Sportage 1.6 Diesel, manual with an intermittent fault. When accelerating out of a junction or onto a roundabout sometimes there can be a delay/hesitation in power resulting in me in the middle of the road or roundabout for 2-3 seconds! Also there can be a flat spot/delay when changing up gears. Car is back in the Kia garage again for the 2nd time but the issue has not happened for them so they say there is no issue with the car. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

McCrack wrote:
    1.6 diesal

I think the point is that this is quite normal for a large vehicle powered by a small diesel engine. Is this the first diesel car you have owned? The delivery of power is not progressive like a petrol but comes in surges. Gear selection is of greater importance in order to extract the maximum performance from the engine. I seriously doubt there is any mechanical problem with your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you drive the car with someone from the garage in it?
    Ask to drive another as loaner and see if it is different.

Old cars can have hesitation because of perished hoses and stuff. Brand new cars, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Even if it was the 115hp 1.6, it should still move? I don't see why a big car with a small/low powered engine would delay for 2-3 seconds.

Is there an Eco mode on it? They usually dull the acceleration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Even if it was the 115hp 1.6, it should still move? I don't see why a big car with a small/low powered engine would delay for 2-3 seconds.

They just bog down. The combination of the necessity to keep fuel consumption and emissions as low as possible means what your right foot is doing can have little bearing on what the car will respond with. This is even more obvious on heavy cars with small engines. I'm only guessing here but the Sportage probably weights the guts of 2 tons and likely has big 17 or 18 inch wheels.

If you change into second, doing less than, say 25-30km/h, for example, the engine wont stall because it will do it's best electronically not to, but it'll be as flat as a fart for as long as it takes to get above that speed without compromising fuel consumption or emissions figures, all the while dragging a big lump of Korean engineering around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ldamo

This is my 3rd Sportage, 2014 and a 2016 both 1.7 diesel 114bhp before this one. For the latest model (2019) Kia changed the engine to to 1.6 diesel 115bhp . For the last 2 weeks we have had a garage car, 2019 Kia Sportage , same engine as my own from the garage with no issues.

Advertisement