Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Obwon68

Big Nasty wrote: »
    My dates were almost identical. Delighted to be back in it. Did you get an oil change and health check with it?

Yep all good happy daya hopefully everyone else sorted soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

I dropped my 420d GC to joe Duffy at 9am and got it back at 3:30.
    I asked on arrival was it an inspection and was told that the cooler was being replaced and the parts were on site (I assume therefore that it’s the same for everyone and they are now all being replaced)
    it went perfectly smoothly and Mike the service fella was really good.
    Goes to show how people with Jan recalls had such a different experience to now, with the same problem.

The new showroom looks good and good coffee too (30,000 more of those and the car will have paid for itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Booked f10 into joe Duffy Finglas yesterday.......next appointment aug 20th! Any suggestions?

dodzy wrote: »
    Booked f10 into joe Duffy Finglas yesterday.......next appointment aug 20th! Any suggestions?

I booked mine in about 2-3 months ago too.
    It’ll be plain sailing from here on as there isn’t a backlog on the parts

• Registered Users Posts: 51,145 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Backlog might not be with the parts now but might be with the amount of cars sitting on their premises that need the part fitted. Might take them time to get through all the cars already taken in to have the parts fitted. Try different dealers if it's practical to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

How is everyone getting on at this stage? I gather parts are filtering through and people are getting their cars back?

Did everyone get an oil change and health check when their car was returned?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I had my wife's car into Conlons in Naas for an inspection and they said parts did not need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Anyone have the check done and given the all-clear try and get it done again in case they were just giving the all-clear due to the back log?

I'm considering going to Colm Quinns where I bought it rather than Morrisons which is where it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Anyone have the check done and given the all-clear try and get it done again in case they were just giving the all-clear due to the back log?

I'm considering going to Colm Quinns where I bought it rather than Morrisons which is where it was done.

Surely if it's on the system as checked you'd need a reason for a second check and be charged it it's found to be ok?

Surely if it's on the system as checked you'd need a reason for a second check and be charged it it's found to be ok?

I'd say you're right but it's a question that others asked regarding what happens if down the line the thing goes up in smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I'd say you're right but it's a question that others asked regarding what happens if down the line the thing goes up in smoke.

I'm in this boat. No idea what will happen if the car fails in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Mine was checked in Quinns back in December and given the all clear. It's booked in for a service in July so I'll ask them to check again.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

8 weeks waiting for mine now
    Went in in early Feb - taken on the back of a truck as the coolant ran low twice and EML came on

Sat in the yeard in Straffan for 6 weeks (Allens) then got moved to Donohues in Enniscorthy when i got ****ty on the phone after at least half a dozen "no update" calls . Still no parts as of Friday just gone :(

When mine was done in Duffy’s last week I was told on arrival that the cooler would be replaced - no check done.

sk8board wrote: »
    When mine was done in Duffy’s last week I was told on arrival that the cooler would be replaced - no check done.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. No check at all yet they said they would replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I just my e60 520d timing chain replaced FOC, it had a FBMWSH, mechanic was saying they could work as many hours they wanted to with this recall. About 20 egr cars waiting to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

The EGR recirculates exhaust gases back into the manifold in order to reduce emissions. As you can imagine it gets hot therefore it needs its own cooling setup.

Several people here (myself included) have had the check done on our F30 330d's and another on his F10 535d and they all got the all clear (for now). We all got letters in the post about it. Mine was flat-bedded from my house to Morissons in Cahir and I had to make do with getting lifts. They had it from a Friday until the following Tuesday. It didn't need the work done so I got it back quickly.

It's a shambles as someone's partner's 520d had to go in for it and they weren't given a rental or loaner car. Just told that if the car came in it would basically be impounded in the BMW dealership until parts came in 2 months down the line. It's astounding that they can keep someone's car for 2 months while waiting on parts and not give a loaner or rental or anything for the duration.

It's even more incredible that they don't have the correct parts in stock, because they will have been notified in advance of the recall's each and everyone of them. Google "Monthly Vehicle Recall's by manufacture"

jmreire wrote: »
    It's even more incredible that they don't have the correct parts in stock, because they will have been notified in advance of the recall's each and everyone of them. Google "Monthly Vehicle Recall's by manufacture"

In fairness though, they were never expecting to have this recall until it was too late. The manufacturers can only make so many of them and with dealerships having so many impounded etc. it was always going to be the mess it turned into.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If there's this many vehicles that require parts in Ireland, just imagine the numbers worldwide.

The Irish fleet of BMW's is such a tiny percentage of all the BMW's in the world that need the recall done, so there's bound to be part shortages when these sorts of numbers are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

In fairness though, they were never expecting to have this recall until it was too late. The manufacturers can only make so many of them and with dealerships having so many impounded etc. it was always going to be the mess it turned into.

Overall, Its not going to do BMW any favour's though. First time that I have ever heard of any car having to be impounded, or picked up by a flatbed from the owners house. Must be really extreme so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

jmreire wrote: »

Overall, Its not going to do BMW any favour's though. First time that I have ever heard of any car having to be impounded, or picked up by a flatbed from the owners house. Must be really extreme so.

In short term its an issue - but if we look at the mess VAG made of the dieselgate "fix" - VAG is still selling away with no apparent long term damage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 luckynoseven

Had my 141 520d M Sport picked up on 4th April after getting trans & coolant low warning. Got a Kia Ceed as replacement form hire company. Called in to dealer after a week to see if there was any progress. They told me mine was in storage and it would be another 3-4 weeks. Managed to get an upgrade to a 181 520d though so all is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

So my car needs the cooler changed and I’ve been advised it’s 2 weeks minimum that the car will be grounded. Have been given a replacement car - however they won’t cover the additional insurance costs. Anyone else manage to get Bmw customer service to cover the additional insurance cover ?

I was just reading on another forum that current model 5 Series (G3x) are now being impacted by this recall too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

bazz26 wrote: »
    I was just reading on another forum that current model 5 Series (G3x) are now being impacted by this recall too.

Madness. You’d have to question Bmw quality control.

You mean the component manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Does this mean BMW could sue the component manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I wouldn't let BMW off so lightly.

Of course there is liability with the supplier, but the car is full of parts not made by BMW that work perfectly, and it is BMW's job to ensure the parts are worthy of the brand. Serious questions need to be asked of BMW's procurement and testing. I've no doubt accountants got a great deal and took the cheaper quote, and look where it got them.

EGR's are BMW's version of our Children's Hopsital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Can you send me a link to this Bazz please?
    Just got my g31 back yesterday from a software upgrade and warranty work and nothing about egr was mentioned.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't let BMW off so lightly.

Of course there is liability with the supplier, but the car is full of parts not made by BMW that work perfectly, and it is BMW's job to ensure the parts are worthy of the brand. Serious questions need to be asked of BMW's procurement and testing. I've no doubt accountants got a great deal and took the cheaper quote, and look where it got them.

EGR's are BMW's version of our Children's Hopsital.

I'm not letting BMW lightly, at the end of the day the buck stops with BMW but there are thousands of components in your typical car that are not directly made by the car manufacturer. Testing can only go so far otherwise there would be no such things as recalls or software fixes. And from what I have read about these particular EGR valve coolers they were not the cheapest type fitted so it wasn't a money saving exercise.
    carsfan2 wrote: »
    Can you send me a link to this Bazz please?
    Just got my g31 back yesterday from a software upgrade and warranty work and nothing about egr was mentioned.

Nothing official but here is the thread:

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?9215-G30-model-now-added-to-the-egr-recall-list

It would seem to only affect 2017 G3x models fitted with the EGR valve component before they discovered the fault and switched to a different component from a certain build date.

Advertisement