Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Tickets on sale out side ground from tickets.ie will be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Sean Moran with a late goal to salvage a draw against Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Nearly left it behind us again. Was sick up until the goal.
    Should have won it but nearly lost it so will happily take the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nearly left it behind us again. Was sick up until the goal.
    Should have won it but nearly lost it so will happily take the point.

To be honest I think Dublin were lucky to get the draw. Should of n last week though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Nowhere near being contenders. Just don't have the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

To be honest I think Dublin were lucky to get the draw. Should of n last week though.

We were the way it turned out but we were much the better side until the first Wexford goal. Then the same failings surfaced and Wexford took over. It was strange how their forwards suddenly looked too hot handle having been utterly annihilated in the minutes up to that point.

Boland and Smyth played well. Our forwards weren't helped by Wexford being very defensive but still Rushe and Dillon don't look sharp at all. We really need them. Is Mark Schutte back playing?

Schutte has played some challenges but no sign of him being used yet. Probably not fully right.

Most worrying aspect is that they seem to just collapse in the third quarter of games. That's been a feature of early every game this year, including ones they've won and worryingly, including the two games against Carlow for whom Dublin will always have been the win they will have targeted.

Forwards are way too predictable, and lack any real goal scoring threat from play. Games at this level are on fine margins and are won either by goals or almost 100% accuracy from frees. Dublin have neither.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Schutte has played some challenges but no sign of him being used yet. Probably not fully right.

Most worrying aspect is that they seem to just collapse in the third quarter of games. That's been a feature of early every game this year, including ones they've won and worryingly, including the two games against Carlow for whom Dublin will always have been the win they will have targeted.

Forwards are way too predictable, and lack any real goal scoring threat from play. Games at this level are on fine margins and are won either by goals or almost 100% accuracy from frees. Dublin have neither.

Also they need to do loads of stickwork picking the ball up quickly rather than the foostering that ends up happening.

Would not claim to be anything resembling an expert but we seem as far away as ever from living with the big boys Wexford did not look much and we failed to beat them so many basic mistakes all over the pitch could not fault the effort but am disappointed with that resulted to day think we would have well beaten if the game was on anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

As a wexford man, i thought the draw was fair.
    When the forwards ran at dublin, dublin struggled.
    Dublin had some terrible wides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

As a wexford man, i thought the draw was fair.
    When the forwards ran at dublin, dublin struggled.
    Dublin had some terrible wides.

This is true and Chin coming deeper really played a big part in that. However, we were really poor in letting that happen. All through the second half Fanning was having a nightmare trying to find Wexford players. We pushed up, forced him long and every ball dropped onto our ball winners in the half back line. We cleaned up and built our lead. Then inexplicably, and not unusually for Kenny, we switched to a two man inside line. Wexford built a couple of attacks from the back and grew into the game as a result. Foot should have been kept on the jugular.

Kenny gets a free pass from Dublin fans because of his exploits with Cuala but his penchant for tightening up when in front really doesn't suit this team. They're not confident in their ability to do that and they'd be much better served by horsing it for the 70.

Good points. Cuala's game plan worked against clubs teams, and Kenny was brilliant at exploiting a two man full forward line.

Two things radically different between that and inter county:

Firstly, Dublin do not have a forward of the calibre of O'Callaghan. Sorry to say it but it is true, We don't have a Chin who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck without being told what to do for every puck out.

Secondly, good inter county teams do not have weak individuals in their backs, which club sides do, relatively speaking at least.

Just so we know our place in the pecking order :-)

"Due to the Spice Girls concert taking place in Croke Park Stadium this Friday 24th May - the GAA Ticket Office on Dorset Street will close at 2pm on Friday afternoon. Pass holders wishing to purchase a ticket with their pass for Dublin v Louth must do so by 2pm on Friday."

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Just so we know our place in the pecking order :-)

"Due to the Spice Girls concert taking place in Croke Park Stadium this Friday 24th May - the GAA Ticket Office on Dorset Street will close at 2pm on Friday afternoon. Pass holders wishing to purchase a ticket with their pass for Dublin v Louth must do so by 2pm on Friday."

Ah here.
    (I said-a) Whooo, do they think they are?
    Are..are..
    (Do they think they are?) oh, oh
    Are..are..
    (I said-a) Whooo, some kind of superstar/Brian Fenton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

This is akin to watching yer man get bit in half by the shark in Jaws. Painful. And very, very hard to watch.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1131986886099185664?s=19

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    This is akin to watching yer man get bit in half by the shark in Jaws. Painful. And very, very hard to watch.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1131986886099185664?s=19

They should have given the crushed one to Mayo!

I always thought there were two/three 'sams' that did the rounds in schools and pubs to prevent wear and tear of the original real one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭MFPM

D7aEVAiXoAE6Frz.jpg

Team for tonight...Not sure this will be the team to start...No Dean Rock? Costello to start. I wonder will O'Carroll get a run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/dublin-team-named-for-louth-leinster-sfc-clash

"Many of the current Dublin squad saw action against Louth in that clash in early June 2012 - Stephen Cluxton, Philly McMahon, Rory O'Carroll, Michael Fitzsimons, James McCarthy, Kevin McManamon and Bernard Brogan all started while Eoghan O'Gara and Jonny Cooper were introduced as subs"

Diarmuid Connolly played that day. So does that paragraph mean he is definitely not part of the current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭donkey balls

They should have given the crushed one to Mayo!

I always thought there were two/three 'sams' that did the rounds in schools and pubs to prevent wear and tear of the original real one?

We had a company family day for employees and we got the SAM out for the day I asked one the lads organising it how much it cost to have the Sam there.
    He said around €250 that was for a few hours handy money sure there does be one at the Hogan stand and in the hand ball alley..
    Wonder how the GAA got their hands on it.

On the RTE website - just read this great article about a North Dublin v South Dublin u12 football game in 2005

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0402/1040302-fenton-mccaffrey-kilkenny/

oOWjGwU.png

North Dublin won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well tis the time of year it gets busy around these here parts. Every Dublin player is scrutinised with a fine tooth comb, steps are meticulously counted, off the ball incidents are potentially career enders for opposition players, and refs are questioned for their pro Dublin bias.

Enjoy every moment, its glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Mannion off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

Mannion off on a red - might give louth hope of keeping it respectable!

Business as usual for now. But Mayo beaten.:eek:

Anyone get a sighter of Mannions red?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Business as usual for now. Mayo beaten.:eek:

Fixed that for you there. You're welcome.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Anyone get a sighter of Mannions red?

Only saw it live so gone in a flash.

Terrible, terrible atmosphere tonight. But job done as expected. Costello was on fire, but bigger challenges ahead.

Met a few Meath supporters who were still despondent after their game against Carlow. If we do the 5 in a row, I'll be happy to get it over with. Mayo losing tonight and Tyrone delivering a hammering, not sure what to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Twas a very different experience to Nowlan Pk a couple of years ago, the novelty has definetely waned tbh. Mannion was clumsy challenge rather than dirty - ironic that ref saw it as a red but only a few months back let Morgan away with a yellow for the challenge on Paddy Andrews, no great dispute in my eyes both were reds. Great to see O'Carroll back and the foot long chicken teriyaki filled a hole other than that it was a long day for very little entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

14,000 or thereabouts at the double header in Portlaoise. Dublin's support base has fallen off a cliff. Is it a case of waiting until the All Ireland series?

14,000 or thereabouts at the double header in Portlaoise. Dublin's support base has fallen off a cliff. Is it a case of waiting until the All Ireland series?

I didn't go myself.
    The two games did not appeal to me one iota from an entertainment standpoint.
    It also seemed unimportant as well.
    Plus there was the fact it was in portlaoise, not worth the effort.
    It just proves that the Leinster football championship has 'fallen off a cliff'.
    I would be more interested in the Dublin hurlers at this time of year, these days.
    There was great entertainment in Parnell v Wexford the last match.
    What is the point of going to see Dublin v Louth?
    It is almost cruel on Louth, an unfair competition.
    Plus Carlow play defensively, so I thought the Meath game would not be getting me on the edge of my seat either.
    I am surprised there was even 14k at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

It's almost as if you didnt go to the games as you knew your province is the easiest to win by a country mile. This will not be your year. Beat you with a man down for 20mins when your strength is supposedly your bench.

Keep the pressure on you all game and you will crumble. The riddle has been solved. The budget not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's almost as if you didnt go to the games as you knew your province is the easiest to win by a country mile. This will not be your year. Beat you with a man down for 20mins when your strength is supposedly your bench.

Keep the pressure on you all game and you will crumble. The riddle has been solved. The budget not so much.

If only Tyrone knew it was that easy last August.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Easy as in defeating you or easy as in how easy you have it to get to the finals?

Quite enjoyed that game in a neutral arena however....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Easy as in defeating you or easy as in how easy you have it to get to the finals?

Quite enjoyed that game in a neutral arena however....

Easy is right. Beat Tyrone twice last year plus also in the final. Now good night.

Easy is right. Beat Tyrone twice last year plus also in the final. Now good night.

Avoid all questioning thus supporting my hypothesis you can never be seen as the greatest team ever.

Who won last? Thank you. Good night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

I remember my first pint.

frankled wrote: »
    I remember my first pint.

So you moved from H to alcohol? Congrats pal.

This is the guy that said Tyrone wouldn't be beaten last year. He hasn't posted since. Few jars in him last night and logs back in. Lol

Avoid all questioning thus supporting my hypothesis you can never be seen as the greatest team ever.

Who won last? Thank you. Good night

Remind us again how many games Kerry (who I am presuming you think are the greatest of all time) had to play to win to win their All Ireland's in the 70's & 80's. Was it 3 or 4?

Anyway lads, we should all hail our new imperial over lords after their glorious victory over us in the league. Haven't Mayo just shown how important your league form in 2018 is.

Oh no...wait a minute, I'll go with Monaghan instead...ah crap... they're in the feckin' qualifiers too...

• Advertisement

On the RTE website - just read this great article about a North Dublin v South Dublin u12 football game in 2005

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0402/1040302-fenton-mccaffrey-kilkenny/

oOWjGwU.png

North Dublin won

Great find! I remember listening to Fenton on podcast with Whelan and almost certain that he didn't really get a look in with Dublin underage until 21s, and that he concentrated on swimming for a few years and only really began to stand out again when he became more physically mature.

Obviously he always had the raw talent and good job he stuck with it! Another master class last night. On which note, reminded me of how the 70s team used to eviscerate most teams in Leinster. Great to see so many goals. Could have been ten!

I didn't go myself.
    The two games did not appeal to me one itota from an entertainment standpoint.
    It also seemed unimportant as well.
    Plus there was the fact it was in portlaoise, not worth the effort.
    It just prooves that the Leinster football championship has 'fallen off a cliff'.
    I would be more interesting in the Dublin hurlers at this time of year, these days.
    There was great entertainment in Parnell v Wexford the last match.
    What is the point of going to see Dublin v Louth?
    It is almost cruel on Louth, an unfair competition.
    Plus Carlow play defensively, so I thought the Meath game would not be getting me on the edge of my seat either.
    I am surprised there was even 14k at it.

Full of excuses. Remember when Dublin couldn't play in Portlaoise? The away support would be too big for that ground to hold them all. Now 14k at a double header.

The reasons I did not go were for the reasons I listed.
    Plus the Leinster Championship has been rendered meaningless since the backdoor was introduced.
    There is not even the slightest bit of tension in the games, a sending off, bounce of a ball and your team could be knocked out.
    Gone for the year in any game.
    Real cup competition, but those days are well gone, a fading memory.

Now we have the GAA doing this 'half assed' scenario with the super 8's rather than scrapping the O'Byrne cup etc - putting the provincials in January, putting the league in the summer making it round robin premier competition , problem solved.

If I was to guess, The current Super 8's are going to be the defacto division 1 teams anyway.

I also think you should be giving the next team talk for Longford/Kildare if they meet the Dubs.

Full of excuses. Remember when Dublin couldn't play in Portlaoise? The away support would be too big for that ground to hold them all. Now 14k at a double header.

How is it an excuse I am just telling you facts.
    I would travel up and down the country to see the Dubs during the league, that is my favourite time of the year. Comepetitive games, entertainment the lot.
    Even though the whether is terrible most of the time.
    The games mean something towards a bigger picture, and the system is fair.

The leinster football championship?
    Waste of money, waste of time, waste of petrol.
    It is not a fair structure really lopsided.
    What good did it do the Dublin lads, what good did it do the Louth lads?

If it was in the English FA Cup in soccer, the stronger team would play the reserves/youth players. A competition that has lost all meaning/glamour.
    I think it won't be long before that happens for Dublin in football. Imagine the furor then?

How is it an excuse I am just telling you facts.
    I would travel up and down the country to see the Dubs during the league, that is my favourite time of the year. Comepetitive games, entertainment the lot.
    Even though the whether is terrible most of the time.
    The games mean something towards a bigger picture, and the system is fair.

The leinster football championship?
    Waste of money, waste of time, waste of petrol.
    It is not a fair structure really lopsided.
    What good did it do the Dublin lads, what good did it do the Louth lads?

If it was in the English FA Cup in soccer, the stronger team would play the reserves/youth players. A competition that has lost all meaning/glamour.
    I think it won't be long before that happens for Dublin in football. Imagine the furor then?

There was full houses in Croke Park Dublin's Leoinster championship games a decade ago. What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There was full houses in Croke Park Dublin's Leoinster championship games a decade ago. What happened?

People have realised that no games matter in the GAA until late July any more, bar the odd qualifier game.

• Advertisement

Because the competitiveness went out of it completely.
    Meath and Kildare became a shambles and Dublin went the other way, to machine like level.

2007 was competitive against Laois (there was a rivalary from the previous years) 80k
    2008 Wexford was a novelty. 80k
    2009 Kildare gave it a bit of rattle
    2010 Meath shocked Dublin in the semis with thier five goals - so the attendance was under 50k v Louth
    2011 Wexford again vibrant team gave it a rattle attendance under 50k
    2012 Meath attendance under 70k
    2013 Meath attendance under 60k

Then Dublin started really steamrolling teams after that.

2014 Meath's last final appearance slightly over 60k
    Barring the 2017 final v Kildare where the attendance was over 60k the years between 2015 and 2018 were lucky to hit the 40k mark.

2017 was the last Leinster Final that mattered to me because Dublin got the seven in a row and made - 'The Ballad of Fourteen Men' - in need of updating.

Basically if Meath/Klldare are not reasonably strong the finals really struggle for attendances.
    Meath and Kildare are great sets of supporters who bring big numbers with them.
    That is even before you discuss the competitive angle.
    There is no fear of having a season ending defeat now because of the back door.
    The way the qualifiers are structured it suits the stronger teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If last year marks the start of a trend and the Leinster hurling championship starts outdrawing the football on a regular basis then how long do you reckon it'll be before the politicking really kicks in about how money is distributed?

There was some talk at last year's Galway AGM about how much they are getting from Leinster (15% of the gate for the matches at Pearse Stadium for instance) but it got overshadowed by the other issues raised about Galways handling of money.

Slattsy wrote: »
    This is the guy that said Tyrone wouldn't be beaten last year. He hasn't posted since. Few jars in him last night and logs back in. Lol

Barring that prediction I got every other prediction right including games Tyrone werent involved in. And fair play to you for winning it. Well deserved.

But look at my first post he was replying to. I was talking about this year and he replied talking about last year.

Funny you all say how easy the leinster championship is in your own thread but say the opposite in other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

It will be meath v Dublin this year, attendance should go up as the media are whispering that meath may be back due to promotion and there victory over Dublin last December.

Think a lot of Gaa fans are of a fairly casual nature only really get interested near the final if their county is still involved .I have no real problem with people just turning up on the the big day its their choice .I get so much enjoyment from this Dublin team that it means so much more to have been to all the games when we win the big one .Last night a crowd of about 14k was fairly low I think with four counties playing.Also with so much sport shown live on tv it has reared a lot of people to cheer their team from the bar stool . I do understand it can be pricey for a family to travel and that is understandable but I do think a lot of people use fairly weak reasons not to go but will claim to be big fans when it suits.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement