Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Still sneaky of them. Especially now they've raised the price from €6 to €8 for priority + cabin bag if booked with flight...

Are you sure about that? I just did a test booking Dublin to Dubrovnik in October and it was €6 e/w for priority and 2 bags. It's €8 if you purchase separately after you've made the booking but I've not seen any change for adding it at the time of booking.

Edit: it looks as if the price might change depending on how close to booking your flight is. Tried another one there, 30th March to 2nd April Dublin to London and the outward leg is €10 but the return only €6.

Gael23 wrote: »
    There’s priority & 2 cabin bags where you put one under the seat and one 10kg bag overhead. Then there’s a 10kg checked in bag option which I assume allows you to have some sort of additional cabin baggage.

“Ryanair November 2018 bag policy update: As of November 2018, Ryanair's bag policy will change. Only priority boarding passengers will be permitted to take one small bag (35 x 20 x 20cm), plus a larger cabin bag (55 x 40 x 20cm) with a maximum weight allowance of 10kg into the cabin free of charge”
    All answers are here. https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭JimboJones99

I know this is probably a stupid question but you never know with Ryanair and I'm not a frequent traveler!

If you check in a 10kg bag which is too big to carry on as a non priority customer and you need to check it in prior to security, I assume there is no limit on amount toiletries/liquids etc?

I presume it is the same as checking in a 20kg bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Yes. Liquids are allowed in checked luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

“Ryanair November 2018 bag policy update: As of November 2018, Ryanair's bag policy will change. Only priority boarding passengers will be permitted to take one small bag (35 x 20 x 20cm), plus a larger cabin bag (55 x 40 x 20cm) with a maximum weight allowance of 10kg into the cabin free of charge”
    All answers are here. https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage
    If its a case that everyone opts for priority and theres not enough room for your bag, will they then charge you to put it in the hold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

If its a case that everyone opts for priority and theres not enough room for your bag, will they then charge you to put it in the hold?

Priority is limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Just checking in now.

Priority sold out.

€12 per person to check in a bag and bring a small bag on the plane. No option to share a check in bag between two people unless you check in separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

hesker wrote: »
    Just checking in now.

Priority sold out.

€12 per person to check in a bag and bring a small bag on the plane. No option to share a check in bag between two people unless you check in separately.

I’ve never seen the option to share anywhere. You would just need to split the cost between you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I’ve never seen the option to share anywhere. You would just need to split the cost between you.

I think what this poster means is that there's no option to only book one check in bag when two people made a booking together. I've seen something similar posted before. You can either book 2 check in bags, or none.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think what this poster means is that there's no option to only book one check in bag when two people made a booking together. I've seen something similar posted before. You can either book 2 check in bags, or none.

We’ve had the same problem with booking one priority bag, so did 2 separate bookings. We were questioned at the gate as we boarded together. I think that they were hoping for a €25 victim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It can be done. On bookings made recently (IE - ES) I have one checked in bag outbound for two pax with Aer Lingus and same on inbound with Ryanair.

We’ve had the same problem with booking one priority bag, so did 2 separate bookings. We were questioned at the gate as we boarded together. I think that they were hoping for a €25 victim!
    I always book separate bookings for each person for each leg. It gives the most flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

How strict are Ryanair’s carry on policies now? Going to Glasgow on Thursday and haven’t gone for priority but my rucksack is maybe 5-10cm wider than it should be. It’s ok for the other two dimensions (max allowed 40 x 25 x 20 cm).
    Will I get away with it?

How strict are Ryanair’s carry on policies now? Going to Glasgow on Thursday and haven’t gone for priority but my rucksack is maybe 5-10cm wider than it should be. It’s ok for the other two dimensions (max allowed 40 x 25 x 20 cm).
    Will I get away with it?

As long as it fits under the seat in front of you it’s ok. They don’t measure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 troken

Hi

Did anyone traveled with 2 parts pram and car seat with Ryanair at Dublin Airport?

I'm traveling alone with 4 months baby and I'm curious if there is a way to leave pram in baggage area when traveling with infant? Ryanair on their website says that they allow 2 pieces of baby equipment for free. Does full baby pram and separate car seat will count as 2 parts? Any experiences or information will be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Hi

Did you try contact them on live chat? They are usually very helpful. The car seat will be one piece and the pram the second piece of baby equipment.

Will you be checking the pram at the gate or the plane?

To check in the car seat, you will need to go to the kiosks at the Ryanair check in area, call a Ryanair staff member over and they will get you a tag. You then drop off the car seat at oversize/ special luggage at the escalators going up to the restaurants before you go through security.

You can check in the pram the same as the car seat or you can check the pram at the plane. Depending on the airport you will be flying to, the pram will be available at the plane doors or on the baggage belt (sometimes the pram will be on oversize belt , different belt than where your case or bags will be)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 troken

Thank you so much for very comprehensive response. I have tried live chat but I was linked to official infant faq which is very general. Once again thank you so much for sharing this valuable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Thanks not very helpful from live chat! If you have any other questions, I'll try answer them. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You’ll be grand they do not check, wheel it up to the plane and they’ll throw it underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Hey we had a pram where there was the frame and then the car seat came off, so 2 parts but I would also agree with the above as long as it folds up neat they don't really mind, very smooth checking it in to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Im going to London, LHR for the day next saturday to see an elderly relative. He rang me today and asked me would i bring some rashers, sausages and brown bread with me when im going. Just wondering are these all ok for hand baggage with EI going from Dublin?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Still currently inside the EU so it’s no problem at all. Not like taking food products into the US or Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I would have just assumed there wouldnt be a problem, but a month ago i was flying to Vienna and the guy sitting beside me was living out there, and was bringing 4 lbs of Kerrygold back with him, in hand baggage and he said it was taken off him by security in Dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anything paste-like or spreadable is a no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Well I brought quite a few Portuguese custard tarts back in my hand luggage last time I was in Lisbon without any problems...guess it depends on how strict the security are on any given day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm flying Ryanair tomorrow to Spain with just a hand luggage bag.

Anyone know will they be ok with me carrying a camera around my neck? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I almost always travel Ryanair to London with one small backpack which I bring on board without a problem.

How are they about stuff you might buy in the shops air-side?

I will have an A3 sized flat box gift wrapped. Will I be able to bring this on board along with my backpack? It would sit on top of the backpack, under the seat in front of me.

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    I almost always travel Ryanair to London with one small backpack which I bring on board without a problem.

How are they about stuff you might buy in the shops air-side?

I will have an A3 sized flat box gift wrapped. Will I be able to bring this on board along with my backpack? It would sit on top of the backpack, under the seat in front of me.

Thanks.

D.

They’re ok as long as it’ll fit under seat.

“Non-priority

All passengers are entitled to bring 1 small personal bag on board which must fit under the seat in front of you (40cm x 20cm x 25cm). Examples include, handbag, laptop bag and small backpack.

Duty free bags are also permitted in the cabin along with your cabin baggage”

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/baggage/bag-policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Think i might have asked before, but im going away and only bringing my personal bag and the 10kg onboard cabin luggage, is it fine to bring a hair straightener in it?

• Advertisement

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm travelling with Cityjet/AerLingus next week is the carry on allowance the same as on the the bigger aircraft?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

tnegun wrote: »
    I'm travelling with Cityjet/AerLingus next week is the carry on allowance the same as on the the bigger aircraft?

Yes it is however due to very restricted cabin bag stowage, large bags are tagged at the gate and placed in the hold. I believe these bags are returned to you at the bottom of the steps as you disembark but double check with ground staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

tnegun wrote: »

If you don't want to have to surrender the bag at the gate, it needs to be smaller than the regular wheelie bag to fit into the smaller overhead bins ....

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/cabin-baggage/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thanks guys I was thinking it might be limited. I will have the latop and CPAP machine and I usually travel with one cabin max bag that can fit everything but might split it into two smaller bags for this trip.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Last Christmas I flew with EI and the weight permitted for the bag was 23 kilos for Economy Plus. I've just tried to book a flight for the first week of June, and I noticed it's been decreased to 20 kilos. Does anyone know when this change was implemented, and/or if with the same fare/class I can book a larger bag for a surcharge, without having to pay for excess baggage at the airport?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the answer, thanks anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Concerned Irishman

Hi all,

We are traveling from Shannon to Orlando via Philadelphia soon.

I just checked AA’s cabin baggage limits and they are 55 x 36 x 23 cms.

We will have 5 cabin bags two of which will be 55 x 40 x 20 cms.

These are slightly larger than the limits.

Should I be worried or will they OK for the trip.?

What have others seen on their trips.?

Are cabin baggage rules enforced?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sexyirishnurse

After not traveling for many years I'm out of the loop with regards what you can take cabin bag wise on Ryanair without incurring a charge.
    My question is, Is it possible to take a cabin bag onboard 50x40x20 maximum 10kg to place overhead for FREE, on European Ryanair Flights? I know you can pay for these, but I'm being told conflicting information. Can you chance your arm bring your wheeled cabin bag onboard for free? PS My back is banjaksed. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

After not traveling for many years I'm out of the loop with regards what you can take cabin bag wise on Ryanair without incurring a charge.
    My question is, Is it possible to take a cabin bag onboard 50x40x20 maximum 10kg to place overhead for FREE, on European Ryanair Flights? I know you can pay for these, but I'm being told conflicting information. Can you chance your arm bring your wheeled cabin bag onboard for free? PS My back is banjaksed. Thanks!

40cm x 20cm x 25cm is allowed for free. Will it fit under seat, to have any chance you would need to be able to squash it up to fit under a seat.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/baggage/bag-policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All you can bring free on a Ryanair flight these days is a small bag that MUST fit under the seat.

If you want to bring the "normal" 10kg hand luggage (like a wheelie case) you either have to buy priority boarding which means you can bring it into the plane with you, or else pay for a check-in 10kg bag.

There seems to be no more chancing your arm with wheelie cases. On any flights I've been since those changes came in, they've been checking boarding passes very carefully.

Prices for these seem to vary - the latest flight I booked to Majorca was €9 for priority, and I think €10 for the check-in bag - it was less on a flight I booked earlier this year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry to hijack, I’ve booked priority and a check in bag. Can I put the bag I’m allowed carry on checked in too? Tia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, you put in the one you've checked in and bring the other one on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We recently flew Domestic US with AA and the Staff did not weigh or measure Hand Luggage at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ah ok, was hoping I could just check it in too. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You'll be absolutely fine, nothing to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

pc7 wrote: »
    Ah ok, was hoping I could just check it in too. Thanks.

You can for an extra €10 per flight if you add it to your booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Hi, for my last few ryan air trips I have done this.

Turned up with 10 kg bag and backpack - not prepaid anything.

-Gave my 10kg bag in at check-in. They always ask if I want to put it in the hold...So just go onboard with my backpack.

Is this still the story with baggage allowance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Lekrub wrote: »
    Hi, for my last few ryan air trips I have done this.

Turned up with 10 kg bag and backpack - not prepaid anything.

-Gave my 10kg bag in at check-in. They always ask if I want to put it in the hold...So just go onboard with my backpack.

Is this still the story with baggage allowance?

No it’s changed. Since last November I think. I’m not sure of the exact prices but you’ve to pay for priority if you want to bring the 10kg case on board. If you want to check it in You also have to pay. The last flight I booked was approx. €8 for priority and €10 to check it in if booked online. If you arrive to the airport with a 10kg bag you haven’t paid for online I think it’s about €25 to check it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i was more amazed that you have to print your check in label yourself now using ticket :eek: and load it away onto conveyor.

thou seems more lax as they dont do rogue checks of bags like in the past, had backpack filled to brim and not a single issue 5-7kgs, as long as it fits under seat floor its grand, as seems many opt in to buy onboard 10kgs nowadays as plane was filled to brim every compartment.

and to be fair do the same myself when flying seems easier to bring onboard 10kgs and is enough for good week then drag 20 kgs around, and stay wait for it to be unloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭acequion

Quick question and it's the thread title so any help appreciated.

My problem is that I booked a flight from Kerry to Alicante a good bit back and booked no luggage at all because after a few days in Alicante I'll be travelling onwards. I have 10 kg cabin luggage booked on the onwards flight and then travelling back to Ireland via Air Lingus and as I have a small 10kg bag in an appartment in Alicante I didn't need to check one from the Kerry lag. However I've just noticed that I no longer have the option of purchasing this online in case I change my mind and would have to pay at least €20 through their call centre, which for the few bits I have, is not worth it.

So back to my question. How large a handbag, which is free allowance [am female] will I manage? I t says 40x20 but are they very strict on this? Women's handbags come in all shapes and sizes so wondering what I'll get away with??

Once again, any advice appreciated. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement