Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have solid concrete wall in bedroom - should I slab with insulation slab

Options
  • 23-05-2019 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi The external wall in the bedroom is a solid 9 inch concrete wall - is it worth putting insulation slabs on the inside to stop heat loss ? The wall is roughly 12 foot x 12 foot. It is a lot of hassle to do this as plaster/paint/put on skirting boards etc afterwards...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just that one wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

On wall downstairs and similar wall upstairs - the back wall of the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Read the construction forum on this. Solid walls with insulation nailed up and the problem of mould thereafter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Read the construction forum on this. Solid walls with insulation nailed up and the problem of mould thereafter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've done this. I treated the wall before, tanked it an added rising damp chemicals (was lower than the wall next door.

Then painted on STB plastic type of paint and used the salmon foam to stick 100mm thermal board to the wall. I had them tight to the wall, I'd timber lengths on the surface of the plasterboard and had vertical lengths of timber jamming them to the wall to glue all the board tight to the wall

There are no issues with damp or mould so far. Air quality meter in place

There is a post on what I did here somewhere titled

Rising Damp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

harry999 wrote: »
    Hi The external wall in the bedroom is a solid 9 inch concrete wall - is it worth putting insulation slabs on the inside to stop heat loss ? The wall is roughly 12 foot x 12 foot. It is a lot of hassle to do this as plaster/paint/put on skirting boards etc afterwards...

Thanks

Is it only for heat retention that you are doing it, is there insulated slab on the wall already or just a plain slab.
    If just a plain slab you can fix insulated boards straight onto the wall, or if you just want wall replastered you can thistlebond the wall and the plasterer can skim straight over it.

Advertisement