Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Surprised at Nagle being released, he's been confirmed as leaving Leinster so is without a contract. Thought he played quite well at times for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Surprised at Nagle being released, he's been confirmed as leaving Leinster so is without a contract. Thought he played quite well at times for Ulster.

Rumour was that Ulster were happy to keep him on, but he knew, with Carter coming, that he'd be pretty far down the foodchain. He's supposed to be away to Zebre?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Stockdale mentioned on the RTE podcast that if he had a choice he would choose fullback over wing. I'm aware that in the past players like Earls and Fitzgerald have made similar statements, even though they were more suited to wing, but I like the idea of Stockdale at fullback post World Cup.
    I think his positional sense will improve with games, his defence has improved since his early Ireland appearances and will continue too under Farrell. Plus I think he showed in his battle with Adam Byrne recently that he's more then capable under the high ball.
    The idea of an Ulster back three with 15. Stockdale, 14. Baloucoune/Faddes, 11. Lyttle/Gilroy and an Irish back three of
    15. Stockdale, 14. Larmour, 11. Lowe/Earls is really exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Stockdale mentioned on the RTE podcast that if he had a choice he would choose fullback over wing. I'm aware that in the past players like Earls and Fitzgerald have made similar statements, even though they were more suited to wing, but I like the idea of Stockdale at fullback post World Cup.
    I think his positional sense will improve with games, his defence has improved since his early Ireland appearances and will continue too under Farrell. Plus I think he showed in his battle with Adam Byrne recently that he's more then capable under the high ball.
    The idea of an Ulster back three with 15. Stockdale, 14. Baloucoune/Faddes, 11. Lyttle/Gilroy and an Irish back three of
    15. Stockdale, 14. Larmour, 11. Lowe/Earls is really exciting!

Baloucoune is an absolute novice but doesn't look like it. I think he could be better than them all. He certainly has the pace to burn them all off. His acceleration is incredible, he is a good tackler and gets into good positions in defence. Lyttle seems to me to be a fantastic talent too and his goal kicking is top notch. I suspect he would be a scrum half of great talent. Then of course coming up on the rails is Aaron Sexton...still an unknown quantity of course but 10.4 for 100 m at 17 or 18 is serious stuff. Speed in itself isn't enough but it's a hell of a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The way Baloucoune has slotted in is impressive. Has dealt with the responsibility very well. If Lyttle can stay fit we have good back three stocks, especially considering Addison can slot in at15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

could you imagine a back line of Balaucoune - Stockdale - Lyttle bloody hell....with Sexton on the bench for the last 15mins to blitz tiring defences. If those guys outside Stockdale kick on next year it could be the irish back 3 for years to come....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Everyone fit in the backline next season is going to cause some serious selection headaches. So many combinations!

launish116 wrote: »
    Everyone fit in the backline next season is going to cause some serious selection headaches. So many combinations!

I suspect one of Gilroy or Lyttle may need to leave...

Gilroy, Lyttle, Faddes, Balaucoune, Stockadale, Lowry, Ludik, Kernohan & at a push Addison (although he appears to be a 13 now). Quite a few players with only one away with Ireland

Stu having a bad run of it....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stockdale was very good at full back against Edinburgh a few weeks ago. It's definitely one to watch.

We have a fair bit of depth at 11, 13, 14 and 15 next season. Hopefully Angus Curtis comes back from injury and steps up and gives us another option at 12. Likewise Bill Johnston at 10.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Stockdale was very good at full back against Edinburgh a few weeks ago. It's definitely one to watch.

We have a fair bit of depth at 11, 13, 14 and 15 next season. Hopefully Angus Curtis comes back from injury and steps up and gives us another option at 12. Likewise Bill Johnston at 10.

Curtis looks like a quality player but is he maybe a little small for a 12? listed as 5ft 8.5inches

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Curtis looks like a quality player but is he maybe a little small for a 12? listed as 5ft 8.5inches

Maybe, I hadn't really thought of his size as being an issue.

I think Hume has the makings of a decent 12. He is a very good passer and can kick. He doesn't appear to be the quickest centre in the world so 12 may suit him better anyway, particularly with Marshall, Addison and possibly Faddes at 13, not forgetting Stewart Moore in the Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

You're confusing the two brothers I think,
    Angus is an out-half converted by Ulster to a centre, 5'10", 14 stone
    Graham is a scrum-half, 5'9", 13 stone 5lb

You're confusing the two brothers I think,
    Angus is an out-half converted by Ulster to a centre, 5'10", 14 stone
    Graham is a scrum-half, 5'9", 13 stone 5lb

Ulster have him listed as 1.78m (angus)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Ulster have him listed as 1.78m (angus)

I think 1.78m is about 5 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

KevinK wrote: »
    I think 1.78m is about 5 10

1.78m is 5'10" (Angus)
    1.74m would be 5' 8.5" (Graham is 1.75)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Aaron Sexton set new 100m and 200m schoolboy records today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Having him and baloucoune on the wings with Stockdale at 15 would be a fairly dangerous back three for any team to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

stephen_n wrote: »
    Having him and baloucoune on the wings with Stockdale at 15 would be a fairly dangerous back three for any team to handle.[/

Is he a good rugby player or just lightning quick and people hope the rest will come? I haven’t see much of him to make a judgment.

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Having him and baloucoune on the wings with Stockdale at 15 would be a fairly dangerous back three for any team to handle.

Is he a good rugby player or just lightning quick and people hope the rest will come? I haven’t see much of him to make a judgment.

He's good at rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

awec wrote: »
    He's good at rugby.

Mmm. He will be but the mcb 15 was a far better 15 this year.

Part of me would like to see him commit to athletics for a year or two. He could be something almost unique for Ireland in that regards, has all the genetics to be a finalist at World level and we rarely if ever produce athletes like that. That's if he chose to represent Ireland, plenty of NI athletes compete for team GB.

If he's going with the rugby I really hope he turns into a sensational player as it's a waste of that kind of speed otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Part of me would like to see him commit to athletics for a year or two. He could be something almost unique for Ireland in that regards, has all the genetics to be a finalist at World level and we rarely if ever produce athletes like that. That's if he chose to represent Ireland, plenty of NI athletes compete for team GB.

If he's going with the rugby I really hope he turns into a sensational player as it's a waste of that kind of speed otherwise.

Perfect for 7s mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Having no knowledge of this, would rugby not be a bigger draw purely for financial reasons? Unless he’s going to be winning at an Olympic level that is.

Having no knowledge of this, would rugby not be a bigger draw purely for financial reasons? Unless he’s going to be winning at an Olympic level that is.

Yup, no comparison financially unless he becomes a big name at world level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The problem for the few U.K. and Ireland guys who might have that ability is that in the U.S. and other places this sort of performance or better is ten a penny. African American and guys of Afro-Caribbean decent have genetic advantage over us slow twitch donkeys. Sexton wouldn't be outstanding in most U.S.high schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sexton is fast at an Irish level and maybe even European, but I'm not sure if he's up there at the top level to be competing in Olympic events and getting medals at the top level, so it'd be a no-brainer for him to choose rugby and reap the financial rewards.

He'll be competing at the European U20 events this summer which will be the real display of how he's placed outside of Ireland.

Mmm. He will be but the mcb 15 was a far better 15 this year.

Maybe that says more about Ethan McIlroy than anything else.

Aaron Sexton scored 7 tries on the wing for Ulster A as a schoolboy. You don't do that if you aren't talented

Hopefully they are both excellent prospects. We could do with a homegrown natural 15. It's been a while since we produced one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Sexton is fast at an Irish level and maybe even European, but I'm not sure if he's up there at the top level to be competing in Olympic events and getting medals at the top level, so it'd be a no-brainer for him to choose rugby and reap the financial rewards.

He'll be competing at the European U20 events this summer which will be the real display of how he's placed outside of Ireland.

he's the fastest athlete at under 20's in Europe this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

typhoony wrote: »
    he's the fastest athlete at under 20's in Europe this year.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=200&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2019

Irish Schools results not shown yet but when they are his time will appear at the bottom but you can see where 20.69 ranks against all the senior men in the UK.

Advertisement