Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this be asbestos?

Options
  • 22-05-2019 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi. I bought a house that was built in 1981. It has been lived in since then since it was built. I pulled up the carpets and then the underlay and when I was pulling up the underlay, it was stuck to the concrete in places, like there was a black glue put down originally. It's like a tar.

I wasn't too worried until I mentioned it to someone and they said maybe it could be asbestos. This has gotten me really worried. I had a survey of the house done before I bought it and there was no mention of asbestos, although I know it wouldn't have been out in the open. Can you tell from the pictures or am I just panicking myself? The orange stuff is the underlay that was stuck.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Hard to tell from the pictures of it’s asbestos or not!

If it was build in 1981 chances are it’s not as most were before this date, but some do have asbestos build in the 80s.

To be sure you should get an asbestos survey carried out to put your mind at risk. I’d also stop pulling up anymore just in case until you know for sure.
    kaji wrote: »
    Hi. I bought a house built in 1981. It has been lived in since then. I pulled up the carpets and then the underlay and when I was pulling up the underlay, it was stuck to the concrete in places, like there was a black glue put down originally. It's like a tar.

I wasn't too worried until I mentioned it to someone and they said maybe it could be asbestos. This has gotten me really worried. I had a survey of the house done before I bought it and there was no mention of asbestos, although I know it wouldn't have been out in the open. Can you tell from the pictures or am I just panicking myself? The orange stuff is the underlay that was stuck.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

From the pics it doesn’t look like it but nobody will say for certain to be honest, get an expert only way of knowing or ask around with neighbors and see if they know of asbestos in the area or development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

does not look like it. if you know anyone who has lots of building experience they would have a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP: where /what do you think is asbestos in the pictures?
    The black "tar" was used to hold down linoleum type tiles which were removed before the carpet was laid

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

OP: where /what do you think is asbestos in the pictures?
    The black "tar" was used to hold down linoleum type tiles which were removed before the carpet was laid

That black tar is black mastic and asbestos was often added to it to improve its durability and strength.

As it dates from the early eighties, it's probably unlikely to contain asbestos but, as others have stated, it's impossible to be definitive from a visual examination alone.

Even if it contains asbestos, the risk is minimal unless the OP was scraping it off the floor. Leaving it in situ under the new floor covering would be perfectly safe but, for maximum peace of mind, the OP should consult an expert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement