Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 costs; planning...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

I remember when I went on a J1 last, I was effectively forced to pay €25 for a sim card. I forget who the provider was, but it gave me an offal lot of issues. Sometimes I could receive messages, but not send them, and vce versa. I'd the same problem with calls I think. It landed me in some right awkward situations, as I was looking for jobs, and meeting girls.

I also noticed that nearly all my peers seemed to have bought sim cards themselves once they got over. What I ended up doing, was changing provider and keeping the same number.

Anyway, I've always wondered what caused this. Anyone have similar problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 neil123

Hi guys,
    So myself and a couple of friends plan on doing a J1 next summer, the thing is we are so unsure about what company to go with, destination etc.
    If anyone has previously done a J1 and have any info it would be greatly appreciated.
    *Probably looking to join up with another group of people for house sharing, so if anyone interested, hit me up. :cool:
    Thanks,
    Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JackPC

Been looking into doing a J1 next summer 2019 alone. Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been doing a J1 solo - best city to go to, accommodation, stuff to do, finding a job etc. (I'm hoping to get a job in construction) Any advice would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eol7

I’m thinking of going on a grad visa this year and was wondering as to whether anyone has any advice about going with usit/iiic?? I’m studying law and thinking of heading to Chicago?? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I hope the Bargain alert is that you're holding a raffle for someone to go with you and the raffle tickets are free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Cheers OP, bought 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lawdedaw

Hey eol,

I also studied law and I am also considering Chicago!

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to maybe set your start date once you have a job a month in advance to give time for a little more travel? Maybe someone with a little experience could shed some light on this. I can't travel out to avail of the month before hand and I'm just trying to see if there's a way I could make it work. Unsure as to how strict USIT are.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 neil123

eol7 wrote: »
    I’m thinking of going on a grad visa this year and was wondering as to whether anyone has any advice about going with usit/iiic?? I’m studying law and thinking of heading to Chicago?? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Hey, thinking of heading over on the grad visa myself, when are you thinking of heading over ??
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Can you start your J1 Visa on any date?
    I am planning to go next year summer 2020 but I am looking to go/start in July as I have other plans in June!?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Can you start your J1 Visa on any date?
    I am planning to go next year summer 2020 but I am looking to go/start in July as I have other plans in June!?

Cheers

Yeah there’s a window between May 15th-September 15th. J1 employers often do recruit throughout the summer as there’s always other J1ers who quit jobs early/go home/change jobs so they won’t mind you starting a bit later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Thank you for that info!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I'm sure someone in here will know this:

What is the application process for a J1 visa?

Interview - processing - administrative processing?

I'm trying to work out how long the whole thing takes but I'm a bit confused by the embassy website. Is administrative processing part of the process or does it only kick in if you application has been refused?

(note:mod feel free to move to subforum if this is the incorrect place for this)

Advertisement