Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW T4 camper - lots of questions

Options
  • 16-05-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all - Have just bought an old 1993 high top vwT4 camper. It needs a bit of light restoration to get through the test , and want to do as much as possible myself. It was parked up for 2 years and want to get running smoothly, safety is a priority as will be travelling with two young kids. Van is starting and running well, brakes are ok etc, but cant drive as insurance will not cover me until valid CVRT is present.

Things that definitely need doing

* Light Surface rust
    * New tires (all corners )
    * New drivers side door
    * Full servicing
    * gas lift struts on the roof
    * New window seals
    * Interior bits and pieces.

Few questions:

Door: Have sourced a replacement drivers door that I plan on fitting this weekend, although I cant seem to find anything online as a guide, assume its straightforward enough ?( new door already has glass and door card) Will a door from a long nose T4 fit a short nose?

Wheels / Tires: Need to find a decent set of load rated alloy wheels and tires to finish it off nicely, any recommendations without breaking the bank? Would also be interested in some nice banded steel rims.

Rust: The chassis is wax oiled so should be ok, a bit worried that there might be some underlying rust going on, but cant find a mobile mechanic to come and do a pre test inspection AND service...any recommendations? Im going to take care of the surface rust by grinding back to bare metal, treating with fertan or kurust, then prime. Im going to combi color roller paint the whole van eventually.

Also need to find a cheap way to get the van from balinteer to the test centre in Ballymount once the work is done, tow truck will probably be pricey enough especially f I need a return trip?

Any other advise or recommendations on mobile mechanics, T4 experts, or rust repair contact ( if a inspection uncovers something rim)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Long and shortnose doors are the same. Its going to be heavy, this could damage the hinge points if your not carefull. Some way of taking all the weight of the door while you remove and attach the new one would be needed. Remove the bolts from the bottom up.

There are a nice few wheel options. Mercedes s class, vito or vw phaeton are popular load rated options if you can find decent ones.

Chassis rust i would leave to the crvt inspector. Could be worth stripping the waxoil though at some stage in the future to check it properly. Earlier t4s werent galvanised so can be prone to the tin worm.

You should sign up to vwt4forum.co.uk. More info and help on there than you'll ever need! Loads of how too's

Advertisement