Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro 14- Tv Viewing Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

From reading it seems that Eir - which I very nearly switched to - was a one season wonder??

How can one get Pro14 and Champions cup next season or has it been announced yet?

And what is it likely to cost?

I've been on the stream and VPN model this season to great effect, but I feel that gravy train is soon to run out

It looks like you'll probably have to have a Sky Sports subscription plus a few extra quid to get Champions Cup.

And you'll need to pay for Eir as well to get Pro14.

The balkanisation of sports continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Is Sky Sports available on Virgin? If it is BT should be as it'll be part of the Sky Sports package.

This hasn't been confirmed, but the only reason you couldn't get BT on Virgin was because Eir had the rights to BT and were competing with Virgin for broadband subscribers.

If that is no longer the case, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get BT via Virgin. I doubt it will be part of the Sky Sports pack though, most likely an an add-on option.

• Administrators Posts: 54,109 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

From reading it seems that Eir - which I very nearly switched to - was a one season wonder??

How can one get Pro14 and Champions cup next season or has it been announced yet?

And what is it likely to cost?

I've been on the stream and VPN model this season to great effect, but I feel that gravy train is soon to run out

Champions Cup is still on BT, which will now be sold via Sky. Whether or not it's included within your Sky Sports sub, or is an extra sub, is unknown.

Pro14 is still on Eir, but they are losing their access to Premier Sports. I reckon Premier Sports coverage is really the reason why Eir were able to show so many games. Next season Eir would have to produce all the games themselves, which I think they are unlikely to do, so we will probably have less televised games.

For Eir Sports subscribers who are not Eir broadband customers Eir Sports cost €27 a month. Without BT Sport there is no value here. Eir would have to slash their prices down to like €10 a month, and if they are not showing all the games then even that seems like a stretch.

I think it's not that unlikely that in the near future Eir Sport will go the way of Setanta and just disappear.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

anyone want try to do a graphic or table of what rugby is going to be supplied by what provider next season?
    its all very confusing and very hard to plan or see what the best service is.

Sky TV Subscribers
    Aviva Premiership
    Champions Cup (via BT Sport)

Virgin Subscribers
    Champions Cup** (via BT Sport)
    Aviva Premiership (via Sky Sports)

Eir Subscribers
    Pro14

** - Presuming Virgin do a deal with Sky.

The big questions are:

1. What will be the extent of Eir's Pro14 coverage given they no longer have the Premier Sports coverage as one of their channels. It is likely, IMO, that there will only be select games televised each week.
    2. What will the price of Eir Sport be. For it to be worth it the price will have to be slashed to a fraction of what it is today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

C4/Virgin will have a few CC games live (only 1 per weekend)
    BT have live rights to all CC games.

Eir sports have the pro14 in the ROI
    Premier Sports have the pro14 in UK and NI.
    TG4/S4C have some games live too.

I am thinking a vpn and £10 for Premier Sports may be an option for some, though that price is likely to rise with additional rights required lately.

If Eir lose the Premier Sports games they will have very little to offer to a subscriber.

Pro14 struggling to sell their 1/4 final tickets it seems. The league is being choked by the national teams' dominance.

The Aviva Premiership is on BT, not Sky.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so if you throw super rugby and top 14 into that sky bundle... its starting to make it look a lot more attractive.....
    fcuking would kill me to have to get a sports package from them though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I am thinking a vpn and £10 for Premier Sports may be an option for some, though that price is likely to rise with additional rights required lately.

If you're going the VPN route, could you not go with the Pro14 app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

aloooof wrote: »
    If you're going the VPN route, could you not go with the Pro14 app?

Rugbypass is the best way if you're doing this route.

You don't get any pre or post match analysis but you do get match feed and commentary

Rugbypass is an option but can you chromecast it?

It is inevitable it will be blocked soon. The eurosport player already makes you put on 'location' so it knows where you are.

Though with eu rules broadcasters may not be able to do it. Eurosport is different in that it provides different content to different countries.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so if you throw super rugby and top 14 into that sky bundle... its starting to make it look a lot more attractive.....
    fcuking would kill me to have to get a sports package from them though

If you throw in other rugby, and other sports that people likely care about:

Sky TV Subscribers
    Aviva Premiership
    Challenge Cup (via BT Sport)
    Top 14
    Super Rugby
    Premier League
    Champions League (via BT Sport)
    Europa League (via BT Sport)
    Golf

Virgin Subscribers
    Top 14 (via Sky Sports)
    Super Rugby (via Sky Sports)
    Premier League (via Sky Sports)
    Champions League (via BT Sport and Virgin Media Sport)
    Europa League (via BT Sport and Virgin Media Sport)
    Golf (via Sky Sports)

Eir Subscribers
    Pro14
    Allianz League

This of course presuming Virgin do a deal with Sky for the BT Channels.

Easy to see what the odd one out is.

Top14 is on Sky.

It is inevitable it will be blocked soon. The eurosport player already makes you put on 'location' so it knows where you are.

Though with eu rules broadcasters may not be able to do it. Eurosport is different in that it provides different content to different countries.

I've not tried to Chromecast. Good old fashioned HDMI never fails me!

But yeah I think it's days are numbered. I think they blocked VPN traffic on the Rugby Championship 2018 AFAIK.

Which is frustrating. It's a legal service which I paid $160 dollars for.

I'm not a sponger and am happy to pay for a service. What I am not happy to do is be pedalled complex packages over different platforms selling me useless ****e I wont need.

Hopefully Now TV will also have BT sport. That would be a great option as you can stream it on holidays etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You can chromecast it. Works great.

Looking at UK prices, it seems that adding BT Sport to your Sky sub is 25 - 30 stg per month for standard definition. I'm sure they run promotions etc but that seems to be the base price.

That's a lot of money, especially if you're used to getting it for free via Eir.

Looking at UK prices, it seems that adding BT Sport to your Sky sub is 25 - 30 stg per month for standard definition. I'm sure they run promotions etc but that seems to be the base price.

That's a lot of money, especially if you're used to getting it for free via Eir.

It looks like if you want to watch all rugby, you need to get Sky TV with Sky Sports, BT and a seperate Eir subscription.

That must be well over €100 a month. Just to watch rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭PMC83

awec wrote: »
    If you throw in other rugby, and other sports that people likely care about:

Sky TV Subscribers
    Aviva Premiership
    Top 14
    Super Rugby
    Premier League
    Champions League (via BT Sport)
    Europa League (via BT Sport)
    Golf

Virgin Subscribers
    Top 14 (via Sky Sports)
    Super Rugby (via Sky Sports)
    Premier League (via Sky Sports)
    Champions League (via BT Sport and Virgin Media Sport)
    Europa League (via BT Sport and Virgin Media Sport)
    Golf (via Sky Sports)

Eir Subscribers
    Pro14
    Allianz League

This of course presuming Virgin do a deal with Sky for the BT Channels.

Easy to see what the odd one out is.

Losing BT from Eir is one thing, was never going to last, but loosing further PRO 14 games is an even bigger kick in the teeth. If they end up televising just the Provinces games, will this cut TG4 out altogether I wonder?

Don't know why Eir didn't tie in BT to a longer deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I pay £36 a month for BT fibre broadband and TV including sports. Another £10 a month for premier sports. I don't give a flying **** for the most part about soccer though I'll watch it if it's on, if I do want to watch a match for any reason the local pub is 30 seconds down the road and guaranteed to be showing every single match humanly possible.

The only things I'm missing out on are super rugby for when I just can't get my fix at 7am and top 14 on a lazy Sunday.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I pay £36 a month for BT fibre broadband and TV including sports. Another £10 a month for premier sports. I don't give a flying **** for the most part about soccer though I'll watch it if it's on, if I do want to watch a match for any reason the local pub is 30 seconds down the road and guaranteed to be showing every single match humanly possible.

The only things I'm missing out on are super rugby for when I just can't get my fix at 7am and top 14 on a lazy Sunday.

You must have a very understanding wife!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

You must have a very understanding wife!

I have a not very understanding girlfriend. But her father has been a fanatic Leinster fan all her life so she's at least used to it.

Unless you mean the price, to be honest I thought 46 quid a month for TV & internet including all the sports I wanted was a steal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

PMC83 wrote: »
    Losing BT from Eir is one thing, was never going to last, but loosing further PRO 14 games is an even bigger kick in the teeth. If they end up televising just the Provinces games, will this cut TG4 out altogether I wonder?

Don't know why Eir didn't tie in BT to a longer deal

There shouldn’t be any effect on the amount of Pro14 games available on eir - they will still have rights to all of them - and they may still even be able to take Premier Sports coverage, or if not full coverage then at least “whistle to whistle” coverage using the world feed provided.

As for the length of the deal, it was for very practical reasons tied to the length of the Premier League’s TV rights deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The Pro 14 launching its own streaming service

https://t.co/BMXneJdfqE?amp=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

The Pro 14 launching its own streaming service

https://t.co/BMXneJdfqE?amp=1

This was already available I think but only where they dont already have a broadcast partner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why do fans in the UK, Republic of Ireland and South Africa not have the same access to PRO14 TV as some international fans?

Under PRO14’s existing broadcast agreements with broadcast partners, we are unable to offer fans in the UK, Republic of Ireland and South Africa the same access to live PRO14 TV content as some international fans. However, fans can sign up and watch the available on-demand (non-live) content free of charge. This also applies to all users who do not reside in an eligible territory to view live PRO14 matches.

https://pro14.tv/support/

On demand content free of charge? Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I've signed up and you're able to watch the most recent games in full.
    This looks fantastic.

I've signed up and you're able to watch the most recent games in full.
    This looks fantastic.

Is there commentary?

Slowly making our way to the world of on demand streaming service. Can't wait for it to become the norm.

Yearly pass with a VPN might be the way forward if Rugbypass starts blocking VPNs. The cynic in me thinks it's days are extremely numbered...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pro 14 could be in this sweet spot where it doesn't command enough immediate revenue from TV rights sales, so they decide that their own streaming platform, with direct (yet more spread-out) revenue, might be a better idea. I'd wonder if they'll seek to change the streaming rights in UK/Ireland/SA next time around so that they're only selling TV broadcast rights, and holding onto streaming themselves.

With the Champions Cup, the balance doesn't work there, I think. The competition itself has enough prestige and demand that there's more money to be made on upfront rights sales than in long-term streaming packages.

Or, maybe it's not even about which makes the most money, but the rights sales are a lump sum and a predictable source of income.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Feck sake, why is not available in Switzerland!?

Can you cast it to the tv?

Edit - just signed up there and there seems to be a cast button.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Pro 14 could be in this sweet spot where it doesn't command enough immediate revenue from TV rights sales, so they decide that their own streaming platform, with direct (yet more spread-out) revenue, might be a better idea. I'd wonder if they'll seek to change the streaming rights in UK/Ireland/SA next time around so that they're only selling TV broadcast rights, and holding onto streaming themselves.

Eir Sport will never buy rights on those terms, given their entire business model is driven on being a loss leader for Eir Broadband customers, and access to the app is crucial for Eir Broadband customers who don’t have either Sky or eir Vision to access the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm going to list some numbers randomly without any real analysis.

The Pro14 currently brings in ~18m per year broadcasting revenue almost entirely from it's main 5 regions. I reckon that's gonna be fairly nerfed at the next rights round because I think ~6m of that is South Africa and as far as I can tell no one at all watches it there.

This service costs 90e for an annual pass, 10e a month. On average customers will probably end up spending around 100e. So simplistically you'd need to get around 180k subscribers in order to make your 18m annual revenue. I've no idea how much studios / commentators / presenters and cameras cost. But presumably the boradcaster pays that rn.

According to this source, 450k on average watched the first four rounds of 16/17. That was pre South Africa, so maybe we can tag another 50k on for them? None of those rounds included interpros and I suspect very few internationals played. So somewhere around half a million people watched this on TV when it was Free To Air. Damningly we haven't had many recent releases so maybe that collapsed a bit when people had to start paying for it.

About 100k people have watched the highlights for round 21 on youtube. (So 7 matches, all of which were interpros). About 90k watched Round 9 (selected at random) which was an unimportant week. Obviously there is the potential for double accounting for people who watched more than one highlights video.

I've no idea how many people have season tickets for Pro14 clubs. Glasgow have 4.5k. I reckon Ulster, Leinster and Munster average about 12 or 13 and Connacht maybe 3.5k? I'd say Cardiff have a chunk too. Maybe 60k in total for the league?

Even if all of this is economically viable. I don't necessarily endorse taking it off TV unless they're going to do a damn good job of selling subscriptions. While Eirsport is sort of awkward, it is better for getting new fans than paywalled streaming services.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm going to list some numbers randomly without any real analysis.

The Pro14 currently brings in ~18m per year broadcasting revenue almost entirely from it's main 5 regions. I reckon that's gonna be fairly nerfed at the next rights round because I think ~6m of that is South Africa and as far as I can tell no one at all watches it there.

This service costs 90e for an annual pass, 10e a month. On average customers will probably end up spending around 100e. So simplistically you'd need to get around 180k subscribers in order to make your 18m annual revenue. I've no idea how much studios / commentators / presenters and cameras cost. But presumably the boradcaster pays that rn.

According to this source, 450k on average watched the first four rounds of 16/17. That was pre South Africa, so maybe we can tag another 50k on for them? None of those rounds included interpros and I suspect very few internationals played. So somewhere around half a million people watched this on TV when it was Free To Air. Damningly we haven't had many recent releases so maybe that collapsed a bit when people had to start paying for it.

About 100k people have watched the highlights for round 21 on youtube. (So 7 matches, all of which were interpros). About 90k watched Round 9 (selected at random) which was an unimportant week. Obviously there is the potential for double accounting for people who watched more than one highlights video.

I've no idea how many people have season tickets for Pro14 clubs. Glasgow have 4.5k. I reckon Ulster, Leinster and Munster average about 12 or 13 and Connacht maybe 3.5k? I'd say Cardiff have a chunk too. Maybe 60k in total for the league?

Even if all of this is economically viable. I don't necessarily endorse taking it off TV unless they're going to do a damn good job of selling subscriptions. While Eirsport is sort of awkward, it is better for getting new fans than paywalled streaming services.

The issue is that free to air TV is better for growth, pay TV is better for the current bottom line.

There are no easy answers here but ideally it would be on FTA.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

troyzer wrote: »
    The issue is that free to air TV is better for growth, pay TV is better for the current bottom line.

There are no easy answers here but ideally it would be on FTA.

I guess the balance is about Cash directly from the TV company for a pay TV option versus the opportunity for increased sponsorship money at the team level as a result of the increased eyeballs available via FTA.

How much more might a sponsor pay to be on a Jersey if all the games were on Primetime Friday/Saturday on FTA and would that offset a reduced TV allocation for each club for a pay TV deal?

• Advertisement

I would be quietly confident that the viewing figures, since going pay TV, are less than impressive. Premier won't even tell anyone how many subscribers they gained.

I expect Eir might wind up entirely once they lose the football, as I don't think the Pro14 is bringing in strong enough numbers to sustain their business as their lead product.

I would be quietly confident that the viewing figures, since going pay TV, are less than impressive. Premier won't even tell anyone how many subscribers they gained.

I expect Eir might wind up entirely once they lose the football, as I don't think the Pro14 is bringing in strong enough numbers to sustain their business as their lead product.

I suspect this is correct, and this is partly why the Pro14 are moving so quickly to establish streaming platforms.

I suspect this is correct, and this is partly why the Pro14 are moving so quickly to establish streaming platforms.

TV is dying. They'd be better off trying to flog it to Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

troyzer wrote: »
    TV is dying. They'd be better off trying to flog it to Amazon.

A lot of people out there don't use streaming services or even know how. They'd be mad to cut out a large chunk of people still relying upon traditional television.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

IPTV. It's the biz.

• Advertisement

But you still need someone to provide the pictures. The Pro14 can only stream the content that someone else provides.

So if Eir Sport does fold, they'll still need someone to step in.

But you still need someone to provide the pictures. The Pro14 can only stream the content that someone else provides.

So if Eir Sport does fold, they'll still need someone to step in.

Most of the cameras/production is done by outside companies not eir sport directly.

It the same with the Premiership.

Streaming is a good way to future proof their model I guess. It also means you can watch from anywhere, on holidays or working away etc.

Most of the cameras/production is done by outside companies not eir sport directly.

It the same with the Premiership.

Streaming is a good way to future proof their model I guess. It also means you can watch from anywhere, on holidays or working away etc.

Yes, but you still need someone to contract with those providers, provide the commentary and analysis, advertise the games, whatever else needs to be done.

The Pro14 simply cannot do that themselves, just like the Premiership do not do it themselves.

The streaming service is a fill-in product, it cannot take the place of a proper broadcaster, unless someone like Amazon or YouTube gets in on the act but that's pie in the sky.

Best case would be TG4 to come back in for games in Ireland, Premier to continue for Scotland and Wales. Chances are Eir Sport will continue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yes, but you still need someone to contract with those providers, provide the commentary and analysis, advertise the games, whatever else needs to be done.

The Pro14 simply cannot do that themselves, just like the Premiership do not do it themselves.

The streaming service is a fill-in product, it cannot take the place of a proper broadcaster, unless someone like Amazon or YouTube gets in on the act but that's pie in the sky.

Best case would be TG4 to come back in for games in Ireland, Premier to continue for Scotland and Wales. Chances are Eir Sport will continue though.

Spot on. Since Eir took over it has been the first time we've been able to watch some of Leinsters games in Italy. They just weren't available to watch before that.

Going forward it may happen that independent production companies will provide all the services including presenters and commentators. All hired on a contract basis.

The traditional broadcasters should still have a say but a lot of people are now turning on their tv and it is not straight to bbc1, rte2, etc.

If the pro14 developed a fan pass that allowed you to stream all your teams' games for a subscription it might work but the market is still very small.

What I can say is “be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it”.

This season, La Liga’s UK and Irish rights were sold exclusively to a streaming only service, Eleven Sports. It was an abject failure. It acquired several other rights (Serie A, the Dutch and Portuguese leagues, and the US PGA golf (last years, not this weekends). It handed them all back in February except for La Liga, and even then it renegotiated it’s contract so that it’s non exclusive, and non-exclusive rights were sold on to Premier Sports and ITV.

What does this prove? When it comes to live sports, streaming only is just not ready yet for the big time. People want to watch sports on an actual TV, not a laptop, and won’t put up with a “steaming delay” or buffering that means they’ll hear the neighbour shout “Goal!” before they see it happen.

Next season, UK viewers will have a small number of Premier League games on Amazon. It’ll be interesting to see how that turns out. Give the Eleven Sports experience I’m not sure it will end well, but in the UK there’s a lot more Prime subscribers for other reasons than there is here where there’s only a relatively weak (but cheap) Prime Video service offered. Those games will be on Premier Sports here.

As for the Pro14, they are one year into a three year deal. It’ll be another year before they’ll be looking at changing their TV rights arrangements again but I suspect it’ll be a traditional tender again, because despite what a previous poster said, TV is not dead, certainly not when it comes to live sports.

Going forward it may happen that independent production companies will provide all the services including presenters and commentators. All hired on a contract basis.

The traditional broadcasters should still have a say but a lot of people are now turning on their tv and it is not straight to bbc1, rte2, etc.

If the pro14 developed a fan pass that allowed you to stream all your teams' games for a subscription it might work but the market is still very small.

That sort of model might work for the Premier League or the NFL, it's not remotely likely for the Pro14.

It's not "might". That model does work perfectly for the NFL.

Edit: nope, I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I know TG4 do a great job in general, on a tight budget, but I hate watching games in Irish.

Got another cold call from Eir Sport yesterday trying to get me to not cancel and stay with them over the summer.

They basically said they'd give it to me for 15 quid a month over the summer and to ring back in August and they'll see what offers they have then. They must have a load of people cancelling at the moment.

I would imagine ~10 euro would need to become their new base price if they want to have any hope of retaining customers next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement