Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

negatives from 1950's

Options
  • 27-04-2019 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi

We recently found some negatives from 1952 in a relative who has passed aways home. We would love to get them developed, is there anywhere that specalise in this ? we do not want them to get damaged as they hold huge sentimental value.

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what size/shape are they? if you're in dublin, john gunn cameras would be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ac10 wrote: »
    Hi

We recently found some negatives from 1952 in a relative who has passed aways home. We would love to get them developed, is there anywhere that specalise in this ? we do not want them to get damaged as they hold huge sentimental value.

Thanks
    K

When you say developed, do you mean you want to get photos printed from negatives that have already been developed? Conns cameras do negative scanning and printing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume the negs are developed and prints have been lost.
    @OP where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac10

i assume the negs are developed and prints have been lost.
    @OP where are you based?

Yes they we found the negatives but not the prints so want to get them printed im in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac10

what size/shape are they? if you're in dublin, john gunn cameras would be my first port of call.

Hi they are small single square prints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Yes they we found the negatives but not the prints so want to get them printed im in cork.

In cork, talk to paddy barker in www.barkerphotographic.ie (He will point you in the right direction)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Hi

Thanks
    K

I bought one of these and now have all mine online for family to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I bought one of these and now have all mine online for family to see.

Don't buy one of those ^^. If you want to scan them yourself buy, at the very least, a cheap Epson or Canon flatbed that can handle negative scans. I assume they're 35mm or 120, maybe a few 127 mixed in. Cheap film scanner flatbeds will do a better job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

How many Negatives do you want to print?

In Cork I would contact Hetty Walsh at Hetty's Darkroom. She does outstanding traditional prints. You will get what you pay for, so she will not be the cheapest. It will be the best quality and I think that is what you may be seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Don't buy one of those ^^. If you want to scan them yourself buy, at the very least, a cheap Epson or Canon flatbed that can handle negative scans. I assume they're 35mm or 120, maybe a few 127 mixed in. Cheap film scanner flatbeds will do a better job.

I borrowed one of those once. I can also confirm that they are terrible. They're awkward to use, and if you only have one roll of film, you may add well get someone else to do it for you and do a much better job of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 JoshN1

I have always been interested in old photos! I especially like turning black and white photos into color https://damagedphotorestoration.com/blog/family-photography-tricks/historical-photos-colorize-and-brought-back-to-life.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I know a guy who looks just like me with a lot of experience scanning old negatives. (Including hundreds of glass plates by the Howes Brothers, back in the 1800's)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Oletimer

Do NOT buy one of those Lidl-sold Silvercrest so-called film scanners. I bought one,it was such trip. Had to return it. A kind friend loaned me a PlusTek scanner. It did the absolute trick.Scanned and digitised 100s of negs as a result.

Advertisement