Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acts who never charted in their own country

Options
  • 21-04-2019 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

There's a band from London called The Escape Club and back in 1988 they had a U.S. Billboard #1 with the song "Wild, Wild West". They never charted at all in the UK and are the only band from there to top the US charts without charting at home.

Can anyone else think of any music acts who never charted at home but had charting hit records overseas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Essex rockers Modern English are best known for their 1982 single "I Melt with You", which was used on the soundtrack to the Nicolas Cage film Valley Girl in 1983. The song got regular airplay on MTV in the US, reaching #78 there in 1983 and missing the US top 75 by just one position in 1990. However, despite a few hits on the UK Indie Chart in the 1980s, ME never reached the main charts at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

There's a band from London called The Escape Club and back in 1988 they had a U.S. Billboard #1 with the song "Wild, Wild West". They never charted at all in the UK and are the only band from there to top the US charts without charting at home.

Can anyone else think of any music acts who never charted at home but had charting hit records overseas?
    I remember that video from MTV back in the day, wasn't a bad tune either, surprised it didn't chart.

Advertisement