Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-03-2020, 09:27   #1
TopTec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,144
New wind farm - noise

Morning all.


The new Bonniconlon wind farm is now up and running with all 12 turbines operating. I am 2.06 km away as the crow flies and today, a very still day here, all 12 are spinning and the background roar and whooshing sound is very apparent.

2 questions really. Are there not some regulations governing this noise output and secondly despite being a still day the turbines are spinning, so is this part of the commisioning process?

TIA

TT
TopTec is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 12:50   #2
Capt'n Midnight
00:00
 
Capt'n Midnight's Avatar
It's probably windier up there

http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp
At the moment the wind is blowing the opposite way to the prevailing wind so YMMV


https://www.epa.ie/pubs/advice/noise/
Capt'n Midnight is offline  
30-03-2020, 08:52   #3
TopTec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,144
Thanks for the 2 links Cap'n. Nah, no wind and other wind farms are still, must be part of the commisioning process. Unnatural wind over the next few days, North Easterlies are rare here so that is a factor. I am surprised at the level of noise though.

TT
TopTec is offline  
29-04-2020, 10:03   #4
Yellow_Fern
Registered User
 
Yellow_Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1,141
Noise pollution may be the next big thing in concern about pollution.
Yellow_Fern is offline  
(2) thanks from:
30-04-2020, 08:31   #5
TopTec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Fern View Post
Noise pollution may be the next big thing in concern about pollution.

How so?

TT
TopTec is offline  
Advertisement
30-04-2020, 09:25   #6
Yellow_Fern
Registered User
 
Yellow_Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTec View Post
How so?

TT
There has been a huge interest in air pollution and its impact on health in the last few years. Some of the improvements in domestic air pollution reduction can help with noise which I think could become more of interest in the future but yeah a long way to go.
Yellow_Fern is offline  
30-04-2020, 10:23   #7
Crazyivan 1979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 279
There will be limits set down in the planning, but these can vary. They can be an absolute limit of 43 dB (La90) or the noise must not be above 6dB above background levels for day-time and just an absolue limit for night. There may also a requirement that states no tonal noise may be present.

These limits are in effect at the external of nearby dwellings
Crazyivan 1979 is offline  
30-04-2020, 11:57   #8
TopTec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,144
It is not the loud noise, which is certainly under the db limit set by the government but the low level constant background roar, similar to having the sea shore near your house.

All the locals I have spoken to have resigned themselves to the visual stimga but are all surprised at the noise... the closer you go, within 1.5 k, the more obvious the swoosh of the blades, (the tonal modulation) is.

On a still day, like Tues am, you can also hear the whining of the electrical gearing turning the turbines trying to find a wind direction.

TT
TopTec is offline  
(2) thanks from:
27-08-2020, 11:55   #9
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 27,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTec View Post
It is not the loud noise, which is certainly under the db limit set by the government but the low level constant background roar, similar to having the sea shore near your house.

All the locals I have spoken to have resigned themselves to the visual stimga but are all surprised at the noise... the closer you go, within 1.5 k, the more obvious the swoosh of the blades, (the tonal modulation) is.

On a still day, like Tues am, you can also hear the whining of the electrical gearing turning the turbines trying to find a wind direction.

TT
I live a small field away from the ocean and the noise is not a constant and varies. On a calm day like today there is total silence.
Graces7 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-09-2020, 01:24   #10
Birdnuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
It's probably windier up there

http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp
At the moment the wind is blowing the opposite way to the prevailing wind so YMMV


https://www.epa.ie/pubs/advice/noise/
Its more likely the wind farm is drawing power from the grid to keep the blades moving as prolonged stationary periods can cause them to cease up, especcially in cold weather - another little fact the wind industry would prefer folk not to know about

http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html

Last edited by Birdnuts; 17-09-2020 at 01:56. Reason: spelling
Birdnuts is offline  
Thanks from:
17-09-2020, 01:37   #11
Birdnuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTec View Post
It is not the loud noise, which is certainly under the db limit set by the government but the low level constant background roar, similar to having the sea shore near your house.

All the locals I have spoken to have resigned themselves to the visual stimga but are all surprised at the noise... the closer you go, within 1.5 k, the more obvious the swoosh of the blades, (the tonal modulation) is.

On a still day, like Tues am, you can also hear the whining of the electrical gearing turning the turbines trying to find a wind direction.

TT
I have friends living near a wind farm outside Claremorris - same issues. They have considered moving but the chances of selling a house for anything reasonable given the nearby windfarm is rather a forlorn hope according to the local estate agents they contacted. You and your neighbours might consider getting some indepedent testing of noise and ultrasound levels around your properties. The wind developers will have claimed they have tested such things and all is well - but my experience of wind farm EIS's produced by developers would make me seek an independent view on such things. In the meantime below is link to an interesting case in Cork recently.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cor...e0632419fc1-ds
Birdnuts is offline  
Thanks from:
17-09-2020, 01:42   #12
Ish66
Registered User
 
Ish66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 65
Really, It's built, When I moved to my house 2 years ago the Railway track 100 mtrs behind my house carried a lot of freight during the night, It still does, I just dont notice anymore, You will too...Chill...........
Ish66 is offline  
17-09-2020, 01:47   #13
s1ippy
Banned
 
s1ippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdnuts View Post
Its more likely the wind farm is drawing power from the grid to keep the blades moving as prolonged stationary periods can cause them to cease up - another little fact the wind industry would prefer folk not to know about
I mean, why is that a problem? Presumably over time they generate more energy than they use, otherwise they would just be pointless propellors being built to drain power from the grid. They're erected in locations where there is typically wind, so those periods of drawing energy are not usually long.
s1ippy is offline  
17-09-2020, 02:09   #14
Birdnuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ippy View Post
I mean, why is that a problem? Presumably over time they generate more energy than they use, otherwise they would just be pointless propellors being built to drain power from the grid. They're erected in locations where there is typically wind, so those periods of drawing energy are not usually long.
Cos the wind industry makes claims on the notional capacity of wind farms that bares no relationship to the their actual output - and the media tend to recycle such BS to the general pubic when reporting on such matters
Birdnuts is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet