Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get nice cheap suits for interviews

Options
  • 05-10-2016 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi

Where can I get nice cheap suits for an interviews for an internship. I don't have the money for anything expensive. Just the basics trousers jack shirt and tie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

M&S have a few suits that come in under and around €100, have a look at their website because it all depends on what size you want. Probably better to order for delivery to store so that you can try on a few and be sure they'll have your size in stock.
    Other than that, the menswear shops near me always seem to have special offers on suits (suit, short and tie for x amount) and independent ones will have some wriggle room when it comes to price, so a local shop in a town might yield better value than a branch of a multiple in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I know you mentioned you don't have much money, but just remember - a cheap suit will always look cheap.

Saying that, I'd second M&S as the place to pick up something decent. Go for a plain navy suit (not black). Make sure it fits across the shoulders and doesn't bow out on the chest when you button it. If it's a two-button jacket, just button the top button.

M&S do free alterations so make sure there's at least half an inch of shirt showing under the jacket sleeve at the wrist. Make sure the shirt collar fits - you can get the guy in the shop to measure your neck to see what collar you should be wearing. Make sure the trousers get taken up or down - one "break" looks best. Again, take advantage of the free alteration service in M&S.

The shirts in M&S are actually pretty expensive if you're budget restricted, so you could try TM Lewin - they often have deals (shirts for 20 quid etc) and you should aim to get a plain white or light blue shirt. They are very good quality.

Finally go for a plain or lightly designed dark coloured tie (brown / blue / grey / burgundy - avoid red). Again TM Lewin have a decent range and aren't too expensive, but there's probably cheaper ones out there. M&S have cheap ones, but I've picked up some decent ones in charity shops for like a euro. Learn to tie a four in the hand knot if you don't already know how to.

Wear black shoes, or dark brown. Avoid pointy toes and tan shoes. Polish them.

Good luck with the interview!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

I would recommend M&S also. I bought 3 suits from there.

You could also try Zara / River Island

http://vitagap.com/2016/07/24/e132-mens-suit-river-island-grafton-street-dublin-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

River Island suits are not comparable to M&S in terms of quality. I'd suggest Debenhams and Next as other options, but as above would recommend M&S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Bargain basement in Arnotts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you're only wearing for interviews, penneys men's dept have really upped their game recently. There's some really good stuff there. Ok you have to look around to sort the wheat from the chaff, and they're certainly not suits you'll get loads of wear from but no harm to check there.

Advertisement