Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogger workshops

Options
  • 17-11-2015 12:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

See all the main bloggers doing workshops.Has anyone been to them?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Friend paid 100 euro for the pippa.ie one thats madness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Haven't been to one but they seem to have gotten really popular. Pippa has launched a load of them for the new year and they sold out in a few mins!! Would like to attend one, just to see what it is like, but the prices are steep and wouldn't like to ask my friends to fork out so much money for a day out and I wouldn't like to go on my own either!

Im gone really off the bloggers lately so constant ads and look at my amazing life posts.But people will lap it up i suppose

bigpink wrote: »
    Im gone really off the bloggers lately so constant ads and look at my amazing life posts.But people will lap it up i suppose
    So why did you want to know about bloggers workshops if you have no interest in them......??!!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    So why did you want to know about bloggers workshops if you have no interest in them......??!!

Were they any good?posted before friend got her ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I've never been to one but I think I read on here before that there's nothing in those workshops that you wouldn't learn from a make up consultation or personal shopper service in any department store.

At least with the make up consultation you can usually redeem the cost against products and lots of shops do the personal shopper for free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Preemptive warning here, let's keep this thread on topic - workshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I read-pretty sure it was on here-about Brown Thomas personal shopping for makeup, which I'm going to do.
    I also went to a personal shopper in Arnotts a couple of months ago and it was an excellent experience. I got to try on loads of stuff and it was great for putting things I wouldn't usually try.

IMO a lot of bloggers based in Ireland are amateurs-they blog about things they like, such as makeup or clothes, as a sideline to other jobs, and they aren't people I'd consider when looking for a stylist. There's one or two seem to have jobs in Dundrum or similar, but going on their blog photos I wouldn't consider them style experts by any stretch.

I remember when I was getting married Franc the wedding planner was heavily advertising his 'bridal workshop' but when you read what was offered it was nothing you wouldn't get from going to a few hotels, going to a few bridal boutiques, and reading some bridal websites. And it cost 75 quid if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

So these seem to be all the rage at the moment with a lot of Bloggers/MUA. Are they any good?!

There are a few I would have no interest in going to see whatsoever. Their taste and style can be shocking at times but there are a few who I would like to go along and see what all the fuss is about. Some tickets range from €65 right up to €100!! I seen last week, Pippa's fashion factory caused a right stir when 100's of tickets were selling out in a matter of seconds.. People saying it was all a scam, not sure how that could be but they must be making an absolute mint doing these! Anyone have any experience of them good or bad?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into existing thread

dudara

Yeah my friend got 2 tickets for Pippa Fashion Factory and asked me go.I think its crazy money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I must admit I am a bit baffled why some bloggers are so popular. I'm sure Pippa dresses nicely but I don't need her to tell me about a pair of Zara shoes and a skirt that I saw a month earlier on their website and dismissed because my legs are too short to pull the look of. I'm not saying she should dress for my body type but it's hardly ground breaking stuff to feature an outfit from Zara or Next that I could find myself. I would prefer to see ideas for outfit featuring less known brands, quirky vintage finds mixed with high street items. Combining Coast dress and Kurt Geiger shoes is hardly a stretch.

I would much rather spend the same money on personal shopper, especially if your body shape changed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

I'd imagine people spend the €100 not just to get fashion tips but to hang out with their idol (Pippa has a huge following)

Don't really get the point as Pippa's advice will no doubt be trend-led and therefore the knowledge gained from the workshop will be redundant in a few years.

There's so many resources out there for free online so these workshops seem a bit of a swizz to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

I went to her passion factory jn Feb. Sickened I paid €100 for a ticket. Goody bag was crap also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I'm also a bit bamboozled about that popularity of these events. I went to a CocoBrown product launch even (seemed like a mini version of a masterclass from what I know about them). My friend got 2 free tickets through her job but apparently ppl had paid about €60 for the tickets, which I just couldnt fathom.

It was grand, I suppose, they'd a few MUAs there doing tutorials and Marissa herself talking about her business and blogging. Got some nibbles and a goodie bag (all brands that were sponsoring the event - nothing I'd actually heard of before!). A lot of the others there seemed to be wannabe bloggers themselves and were lapping it up. There was a little "step and repeat" set up in the lobby where you got your photo taken with Marissa (shoot me now!) and everyone was Insta'ing like their lives depended on it. We actually left early because we were bored.

Speaking more generally and not about Marissa Carter because to be fair to her she's built a very real business based on an actual product, but I think some of the Irish bloggers are just so basic. Blogging away about the most obvious things, the most boring shops..... like who cares about your River Island skirt?!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

I went to Pippa's Fashion Factory. It was the only one at the time. It was a birthday present. Tickets were €99. Afternoon tea was lovely (probably €20 value) I really don't know what the other €79 went. The goodie bag was crap (bottle of juice, packet of crisps, bottle of (horrible colour) nail varnish, stick on toe nails, black eyeshadow and 'orange' bronzer.

I didn't get anything from the show. Makeup and hair was done on Pippa's friend. She had perfect skin and perfect hair so the audience didn't learn how to deal with dry/dehydrated/acne/ageing skin or problem hair.

As 'Graceless' said, a lot of Pippa's followers waited to meet her at the end.

Looking at Marissa's Snapchat, I think her masterclasses look better. Apart from better goodie bags, I think Marissa seems to have a better knowledge of the science behind skincare and I might learn something from her.

Is Marissa Carter a skin expert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

How does one qualify to become a skin care expert? Just curious!!

I think she has studied in skin care, not sure what exactly. She does appear to be quite knowledgeable in this area. She owned a successful beauty salon before Cocoa Brown.
    Edit: I also get the impression from her snapchats that she is very actively involved in the behind the scenes of Cocoa Brown products.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

Everyone seems to be jumping on the "workshop" bandwagon! The amount of money they are pulling in for one day is crazy. Probably 200 or so people attending, that's 20k for the day! And that's Not including the products they sell there too! I'd imagine this hype will come to an end soon...
    The goodie bags are just free samples that companies are willing to give so none of the €100 is paying for that either.

Fair play i thought she was just a marketing person that got a break

She's a serious business women, I've such respect for the work she puts in, I won't go to her workshop myself but I can't begrudge her success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

A 'curvy' Limerick blogger has announced an upcoming workshop. To be honest I can't imagine she's that well known outside of Limerick although I think she has been on TV3 before. Tickets are almost €70 a pop. I honestly can't fathom why people pay such large sums of money for these 'workshops' Maybe at 37, I'm too old to be their 'target audience'?

Advertisement