Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planing/Thicknessing Options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Went with a second-hand Dewalt 733 myself. I joint by hand (for the size and amount of stuff I work on, it doesn't make sense to do it any other way and to be honest, it's usually faster anyway), so the thicknesser just, well, thicknesses. And the 734 with the locking head is almost totally snipe-free and very accurate. Since it's mostly supplanted by the 735, you can find them second-hand on the UK market for decent prices (I paid £340 for mine two years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I have had 6 different ones over the years, have none now, my last was sheppach 2600 floor mounted from the yellow, quality range.
    The one before that was a big cast iron Dominion
    You really need to start with the requirement/application, especially the length of stuff you work with:
    you will need room for intake and out take if doing long stuff and a bench mounted one will be unstable for long stuff
    then you need to consider the dimensional accuracy required.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Whichever one you buy, make sure and have an extractor - if not, shaving will get stuck on the block, and cause lines on your timber - u need away of getting the shavings sucked out as quick as possiable - even a henry hoover will help !!

Cletus made me think of this little list.. focusing purely on the entry level end of the market.

Toaster Style thicknessers (can surface plane using a simple jig):
    https://www.jjacksontools.com/en/thicknesser-1100w-317mm
    Triton TPT125 - €400

https://www.whraitt.ie/p/cw_12_thicknesser
    Charnwood €385

Planer Thicknessers:

https://jebbtools.ie/products/planer-and-thicknesser-sip-8-inch-by-8-inch-1500w
    SIP 8 x 8'' 2HP Planer Thicknesser (1500w)

https://www.whraitt.ie/p/cw_8x5_planer_thickness_
    Charnwood €348.50

ScrewFix in the UK have the little Titan planer/thicknesser, which I've seen a few folks get good results with online, although obviously we're rock bottom in terms of build quality and QA. The Irish site doesn't have it listed however.

Surfacing Planing only:
    https://www.iedepot.ie/wood-planer-ireland/
    SIP 6" Planer €249.00

Can anyone think of any others in the entry level set?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Stanirish wrote: »
    Whichever one you buy, make sure and have an extractor - if not, shaving will get stuck on the block, and cause lines on your timber - u need away of getting the shavings sucked out as quick as possiable - even a henry hoover will help !!

Amen to that - I use a twin motor extractor through a cyclone for my planer/thicknesser, and it's a good additional point to remember for someone looking at the budget options list I posted above.

You really do need to have a plan for extraction before you go stretching your budget to purchase a particular machine, leave nothing in the kitty for extraction and end up waste deep in shavings a couple of hours later :D .. that might be ok depending on the buyer's plan but if not, then you've got to get a cheaper machine and some means of extraction. A good level of extraction is possible on a budget, which got discussed on another thread at some point not to long ago and I wrote a little comparison last year between the well known entry level Oneida Dust Deputy cyclone and a cheapo one of comparable size from Banggood: https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/8/11/adding-a-cheap-dust-cyclone, which is relevant to the discussion. Dust Commander is a compelling cyclone option too.

One of those cyclone options + a basic but strong vacuum (e.g. Parkside's 1400w and 1500w wet and dry vacs are amazingly capable for the price) and you can get really good results in the budget workshop. The cyclone is just as important though due to the low storage capacity of any shop vac.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

I have a 8x5 charnwood planer thicknesser and it is a very nice machine for my needs. I still need to tune infeed/outfeed tables as I was waiting to get dial indicator and the fence has to be changed.
    As for the extraction I used old empty bottle from mineral spirits, cut the bottom and put it over CW 100mm extraction port and sealed with some duct tape. On the other end I have a 1500W Einhell Wet&Dry Vac and I have just cut the top of the same bottle to stick vacuum hose inside and seal it again with some duck tape. It is working very fine. The only thing that I need to do is to empty 30L container very often :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Lidl have, for the first time in my memory, a planer thicknesser for €199

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/1500w-planer-thicknesser/p40367

I know that quite a few of the tools that both Lidl and Aldi tool bodies are readily recognisable as other brands (Einhell springs to mind). Anyone recognise the thicknesser above from another brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That looks a lot like the Charnwood one: https://www.charnwood.net/products/product/p8-x-5-bench-top-planer-thicknesser-w588/category_pathway-119
    But that also looks a lot like the Sheppach one: https://www.kendaltools.co.uk/product/scheppach-hms2000-8-x-5-planer-thicknesser-with-deluxe-fence/
    And a dozen other manufacturers have very similar looking machines.
    The oldest one I know of that looks like that was the Kity 636 but there might be older ones. Little new under the sun.
    You'd have to actually open it up and get into it to see the differences, a lot of companies now buy the castings from the same place and the innards are the difference between the machines (and they can make quite a difference).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Probably a scheppach, they've made stuff for them before. The cheapo bandsaw I bought a year or two back even mentioned scheppach several times in the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Probably a scheppach, they've made stuff for them before. The cheapo bandsaw I bought a year or two back even mentioned scheppach several times in the manual.

Yep on the Lidl site/link it says Scheppach

BackInTown wrote: »
    Yep on the Lidl site/link it says Scheppach

It does, you're right. Completely missed it. Thanks

• Advertisement

A bit of searching over a cup of tea, and it looks like it might be the Scheppach HMS 170

https://youtu.be/uP-yNFYoHJM

Here's a video of unboxing and first use, for anyone who is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have what I believe is an old sheppach 260 planer/thicknesses for sale if anyone is interested.

I'll have to confirm the model as it's buried in my parents garage at the moment, but it's a solid, yellow sheppach, probably 15+ years old.

There might even be the sheppach dust extractor around too, but I vaguely remember that being sold. There is definitely a matching table saw, but the band saw is deffo gone!

My dad took a fancy to having a garage of expensive, matching yellow equipment at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

GreeBo wrote: »
    I have what I believe is an old sheppach 260 planer/thicknesses for sale if anyone is interested.

I'll have to confirm the model as it's buried in my parents garage at the moment, but it's a solid, yellow sheppach, probably 15+ years old.

There might even be the sheppach dust extractor around too, but I vaguely remember that being sold. There is definitely a matching table saw, but the band saw is deffo gone!

My dad took a fancy to having a garage of expensive, matching yellow equipment at one stage!

That's a major step up in quality over the modern "blue" stuff; possibly even still made in europe and might actually be a Kity under the skin depending when it was manufactured, as they acquired Kity in the early 2000s IIRC.

I might be interested in the table saw after restrictions lift, depending on which model it is (I can't put in one of the big ones because of floor load) but might be able to take it if it's one of the less popular small cabinets.

PM sent greebo

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

There is a Scheppach P/T clone for €200 in Lidl today https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/1500w-planer-thicknesser/p40367

Seems like a steal. Don't know if I can justify a trip in lockdown though

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

It's a Scheppach HMS 850 in case anyone is thinking of getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That's a major step up in quality over the modern "blue" stuff; possibly even still made in europe and might actually be a Kity under the skin depending when it was manufactured, as they acquired Kity in the early 2000s IIRC.

I might be interested in the table saw after restrictions lift, depending on which model it is (I can't put in one of the big ones because of floor load) but might be able to take it if it's one of the less popular small cabinets.

Was made in 1986 so could well be a Kity and I'm fairly confident its European made!

Its not that heavy at all.

Think this is it
    2207161.1441286761__.jpg

Band saw is HBS 32 vario

Planer/Thicknesser seems to be a Prima HM2 Kombi similar to below, but mine has a built in axel/wheel
    $_86.JPG

They are all on COVID lockdown so I'm getting those details from memory!
    When life gets back to normal I'll throw them on adverts or somewhere and post a link in a thread here (or reply to anyone who sent a PM!)

I couldn’t resist the Lidl planer/thicknesser when in there yesterday. Went in for mushrooms and some bread...

The park side bandsaw which I bought secondhand, as cheap as it is, made a lot more projects feasible for me and I’m hoping this will do the same.

Ive nothing to compare it with so little basis for assessment/review, but I’ll post my first experiences in the near future (which I hope will be something like noisy and messy but gets the job done :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Was made in 1986

Think this is it
    2207161.1441286761__.jpg

!)

its a tku site saw built in germany

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I couldn’t resist the Lidl planer/thicknesser when in there yesterday. Went in for mushrooms and some bread...

The park side bandsaw which I bought secondhand, as cheap as it is, made a lot more projects feasible for me and I’m hoping this will do the same.

Ive nothing to compare it with so little basis for assessment/review, but I’ll post my first experiences in the near future (which I hope will be something like noisy and messy but gets the job done :) )
    Did they have many? I want to get one, just seen it today on the site. I don't want to go and join the social distancing ques to find they only had one per store or something.

• Advertisement

iamtony wrote: »
    Did they have many? I want to get one, just seen it today on the site. I don't want to go and join the social distancing ques to find they only had one per store or something.

I went to Blanchardstown and there were three on the floor. No idea if that would be the case in other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I went to Blanchardstown and there were three on the floor. No idea if that would be the case in other stores.

OK thanks. Id like to leave it till a day that wasn't Saturday but I don't know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

iamtony wrote: »
    OK thanks. Id like to leave it till a day that wasn't Saturday but I don't know now.

I was in my store, Oranmore Co. Galway, and I saw one guy coming out with one, one guy with one in his basket and I got the third one. That was at 8am on Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

NTC wrote: »
    I was in my store, Oranmore Co. Galway, and I saw one guy coming out with one, one guy with one in his basket and I got the third one. That was at 8am on Thursday morning.

Any update on your purchase?

Did it meet with your expectations?

Corkey123 wrote: »

Still in the box, dame this dummy weather!

Hope to try it out today or tomorrow.

Corkey123 wrote: »

Still in the box, dame this dummy weather!

Hope to try it out today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Just took mine out of the box last night too and put it together but haven't tried it out yet, later on this afternoon hopefully. I have a good few oak, some elm and lots of maple floorboards that are tongued, grooved and have relief cuts on the underside of them. Hoping to use the thicknesser to take smooth out the underside to start and maybe remove the tongue and groove where I don't need to join them side by side.
    I've never used one before - usually just hand plane them off - so won't have anything to compare it to as such but will post back when I use it.

Mine is still in the car, I got the last one at 08:05 in nenagh.
    be interested in seeing what is does., trying to figure out how to jimmy up some sort of chip collection, the output on the thicj=knesser was awesome on my sheppach.

I’ve had two runs with it now. On the first run with the planer I had to work quite hard to convince the extraction hood to engage the safety catch. A bit of a trim of mould flashing required but it’s working now. Thicknesser is really easy to use.

I reduced some steamed beech pieces from 19 to 13mm pretty quickly and cleanly. Light hand plane needed though I assume that’s normal.

Need to read some more about using these machines well. Also any opinions on stock blades and if one would achieve better results with different blades would be interesting to hear.

It’s bloody noisy. Again I assume that’s normal. But not sure how the neighbours will feel about it.

• Advertisement

I’ve had two runs with it now. On the first run with the planer I had to work quite hard to convince the extraction hood to engage the safety catch. A bit of a trim of mould flashing required but it’s working now. Thicknesser is really easy to use.

I reduced some steamed beech pieces from 19 to 13mm pretty quickly and cleanly. Light hand plane needed though I assume that’s normal.

Need to read some more about using these machines well. Also any opinions on stock blades and if one would achieve better results with different blades would be interesting to hear.

It’s bloody noisy. Again I assume that’s normal. But not sure how the neighbours will feel about it.

So the machine won't run without the extraction hood in place?

Advertisement