Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal doors

Options
  • 12-03-2020 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

What is the max gap between a door and a jamb, for a a standard door. I got a new door fitted and the gap at the top is 9mm and 15mm at the btm.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

holdfast wrote: »
    What is the max gap between a door and a jamb, for a a standard door. I got a new door fitted and the gap at the top is 9mm and 15mm at the btm.

Thanks

Are you saying that the door is not square or parallel with the vertical?

Or that the gap on the bottom of the door is bigger than the top of the door . The horizontal

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Thanks

Too big

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Listermint, Thanks for your reply.

No door looks square and parallel. I should have said it a bi fold door, but I think the door is too small. It has a gap at the top from the door to the jamb of 9mm and 15mm at the bottom. Looks crazy to see the daylight peering around the door.

Mick 121, thanks, I have a feeling it is at least twice to much at the top and maybe three times at the bottom. If you have an idea of the rough difference that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Listermint, Thanks for your reply.

No door looks square and parallel. I should have said it a bi fold door, but I think the door is too small. It has a gap at the top from the door to the jamb of 9mm and 15mm at the bottom. Looks crazy to see the daylight peering around the door.

Mick 121, thanks, I have a feeling it is at least twice to much at the top and maybe three times at the bottom. If you have an idea of the rough difference that would be great

About 3 maybe 4mm is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The width of an old penny, was what was acceptable back in the day, before snagging became a thing. The doors are not too small, the frame is too big

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The width of an old penny, was what was acceptable back in the day, before snagging became a thing. The doors are not too small, the frame is too big

Remember that well too.:)

Just like being able to let a pin slide down between the teeth of a properly sharpened and set saw.

Those were the days when craft skill meant something;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Was the door hanger ( i would not say carpenter)
    paid for this.

Was the door planed to fit??

Was the frame existing or new.??

Did you complain about the quality of the fitting.??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If you've MVHR (Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery) which supplies air to rooms like sitting, bedrooms, dining and extracts from toilets and kitchen then you need 10mm gap at the bottom of all doors to allow the air transfer. Otherwise the ventilation system won't be correctly balanced. Either way 15mm it to big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Is a saddle board to be fitted ? If so you obviously have to allow for that.

Advertisement