Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Garage Door

Options
  • 16-03-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a double garage, with two up and over roller type doors on it. I'm going to insulate the walls and roof of the garage over the next few weeks. I do a lot of wood working in their and the cold and dampness would eventually get you!!! It doesnt need to be warm, but i need to get the moisture levels down. Currently you'd nearly get your finger through the gaps between the wall openings and the roller door. Serious breeze coming in through each one.

What i want to do is take down the roller doors and replace with DIY timber doors. Havent much experience with doors before, so would appreciate advise from anyone who has.
    Frame timber - Can this be construction grade, treated wood? Was going to make a 4x2 frame for the opening and then build a 4x2 door frame within this, with diagonal bracing. Can the corners be glued and screwed, or should it be mortise and tennon joints?
    Panelling - Is there a type of timber best to use to panel the door on the outside? Something that will last well against rain? Should it be tongue and grooved into each other to prevent ingress of rain?

Any advise apprecaited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would work inside, leaving the r/s doors.
    it has been done before here.
    Working with wood when you don't need to worry about driving rain is a doddle.
    You could just sheet the framework front and back with wpb ply, screwed and glued.
    M&T always a better job
    Make the bottom rail 6 inches deep
    If softwood is exposed to wet it will swell up and then in summer shrink

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

I would work inside, leaving the r/s doors.
    it has been done before here.
    Working with wood when you don't need to worry about driving rain is a doddle.
    You could just sheet the framework front and back with wpb ply, screwed and glued.
    M&T always a better job
    Make the bottom rail 6 inches deep
    If softwood is exposed to wet it will swell up and then in summer shrink

That’s not really a runner. The roller shutter doors are mounted on the internal face of the walls. The timber has to be outside them.

Why the bottom rail 6 inches deep?

Advertisement