Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal..albert chains & pocket squares?

Options
  • 27-10-2016 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Hi all

For once in my life I'm making an effort to look good for a wedding, I've recently bought a three piece dark blue modern suit that actually fits me, I'm a bit heavy and not so tall and have worn an oversize "tent" suit for years but have now learned the error of my ways and got something that fits regardless of my shape, also picked up suitable tan formal boots, white shirt and lively red tie and I'm good to go, I want the trimmings now, im deffo after a pocket square but also love the chain thingy on the waistcoats, just the single one not the double, they generally hold a pocket watch but I can't be arsed with that, just like the look of the chain, can I just buy the chain bit? Where would I pick up a pocket square at a reasonable price?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Kudos on upping your game. :)

For a pocket square you can get them in Penneys, TK Max, River island, Burtons, pretty much any menswear place will have them. Get them to complement your tie, not matching. If in doubt, go for plain white.

I'd recommend you actually buy a pocket watch. You can buy them cheaply online and TBH more than likely someone at somepoint at the wedding will notice and ask to see your watch.

And if you do get one I'd recommend not wearing a wristwatch. Even if you just get a chain, if I saw someone with a pocket watch chain and a wristwatch I'd know they have no idea what they're doing. Like someone who wears braces and a belt.

You've come this far with upping your game, don't fall at the last hurdle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

Kudos on upping your game. :)

For a pocket square you can get them in Penneys, TK Max, River island, Burtons, pretty much any menswear place will have them. Get them to complement your tie, not matching. If in doubt, go for plain white.

I'd recommend you actually buy a pocket watch. You can buy them cheaply online and TBH more than likely someone at somepoint at the wedding will notice and ask to see your watch.

And if you do get one I'd recommend not wearing a wristwatch. Even if you just get a chain, if I saw someone with a pocket watch chain and a wristwatch I'd know they have no idea what they're doing. Like someone who wears braces and a belt.

You've come this far with upping your game, don't fall at the last hurdle. ;)

Cheers appreciate that, didn't know if I'd even get a reply let alone someone on point! Tbh I'm not laying out the bucks for a watch, this it's the last time ill see a suit in the foreseeable future just looking to trim it off without much more expense, this ensemble will sit in my wardrobe after this event till God knows when, great advice on the pocket square, appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Cheers appreciate that, didn't know if I'd even get a reply let alone someone on point! Tbh I'm not laying out the bucks for a watch, this it's the last time ill see a suit in the foreseeable future just looking to trim it off without much more expense, this ensemble will sit in my wardrobe after this event till God knows when, great advice on the pocket square, appreciated!

Why would the suit sit in your wardrobe for the foreseeable future? If as you said, it is a modern suit, then get the use out of it! It can be used as a two-piece without the waistcoat for a more casual look. Open-necked shirt and nice shoes and you're good to go.

And going out in a suit can make an ok night a lot more enjoyable (for me anyway).

Also, anyone you see who is comfortable in a social situation in a suit, is so because they are used to wearing a suit. If you only put it on once a year, you will look like you only put it on once a year - familiarity is the key.

Have a good time at the wedding. :)

Personally, I'd lose the watch-chain. For me it is heading towards costume rather than well-dressed. And it just brings attention to the outfit rather than just being well-dressed. This is of course, unless you're normally seen with a monocle and spats. :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Personally, I'd lose the watch-chain. For me it is heading towards costume rather than well-dressed. And it just brings attention to the outfit rather than just being well-dressed. This is of course, unless you're normally seen with a monocle and spats. :D:p

That is a good point. I go out to events that are slightly more "costumey" so I kinda went with that. I agree it probably would be too much if you're not used to it all. I still say you can get a pocket watch online for not much more than getting the right chain.

Honestly, though, just make sure you're as comfortable as you can be. And enjoy it! If you're a little larger-which you stated in your opening post- a 3 piece suit is one of the best things you can wear. Waistcoats are incredibly slimming.

Advertisement