Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 gallon water bottles for water dispenser

Options
  • 01-11-2017 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone, new user here, recently moved to Ireland and loving it!
    We bought a water dispenser/cooler on ebay from the USA. It's a bottom feeding one. It works great but we still can't figure out how to get the big 5 gallon bottles that you see at offices and businesses. I've contacted many companies and they only deliver to office buildings, not houses.
    Any ideas? I don't mind collecting a few bottles at a time from the warehouse.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've never seen one in a home before and I'd imagine it's an unusual request as far as the water companies are concerned.

If you lived here longer I'd suggest that maybe a friend might have an office that could order extra for you.

If all else fails you could try buy an empty bottle and fill it with gallon bottles from the supermarket. It'd work out more expensive but you'd have chilled water.

I'm stumped. I've nothing more to offer.

I'd imagine you'd have a better chance with the water companies if you used their coolers. I'd imagine that they want you to rent them as well as paying for the water. Try Tipperary water if you haven't already

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Naderox

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've never seen one in a home before and I'd imagine it's an unusual request as far as the water companies are concerned.

If you lived here longer I'd suggest that maybe a friend might have an office that could order extra for you.

If all else fails you could try buy an empty bottle and fill it with gallon bottles from the supermarket. It'd work out more expensive but you'd have chilled water.

I'm stumped. I've nothing more to offer.

I'd imagine you'd have a better chance with the water companies if you used their coolers. I'd imagine that they want you to rent them as well as paying for the water. Try Tipperary water if you haven't already

Thank you for the quick reply!
    I actually asked to buy or rent coolers but not a single company I found online would accept because our business is registered at a home address and they don't deliver to private properties.
    Then we had no choice but to find a water dispenser on ebay and it actually works with the small 5 litre bottles because it's bottom feeding so it basically pumps water from any bottle. I just want the bottle that's meant to fit in that big space and that lasts a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Naderox wrote: »
    Hi everyone, new user here, recently moved to Ireland and loving it!

What's wrong with the water from the public mains? If you really don't like drinking it, consider buying a Brita filter.

My first visit to the US was in 1986, long before we started buying bottled water here. On my first visit to a private house (an upmarket development of detached houses in Austin, Tx), I was amazed to see that the water they used for drinking and in the kitchen came from large bottles that had obviously been delivered to the door like milk. On raising the issue with my host, he asked me if the water in Ireland was 'potable', I had to ask him to tell me the meaning of the word and it's still a word not generally in use in this part of the world.

BTW, it means 'safe to drink'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

coylemj wrote:
    My first visit to the US was in 1986, long before we started buying bottled water here. On my first visit to a private house, I was amazed to see that the water they used for drinking and cooking came from large bottles that had obviously been delivered to the door like milk. On raising the issue with him, he asked me if the water in Ireland was 'potable', I had to ask him to tell me the meaning of the word and it's still a word not generally in use in this part of the world.

We've been buying bottled water in Ireland long before 1986,, Granted we might not have had Irish bottled water but we've had Perrior water since the 60s or 70s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Naderox

coylemj wrote: »
    What's wrong with the water from the public mains? If you really don't like drinking it, consider buying a Brita filter.

My first visit to the US was in 1986, long before we started buying bottled water here. On my first visit to a private house (an upmarket development of detached houses in Austin, Tx), I was amazed to see that the water they used for drinking and in the kitchen came from large bottles that had obviously been delivered to the door like milk. On raising the issue with my host, he asked me if the water in Ireland was 'potable', I had to ask him to tell me the meaning of the word and it's still a word not generally in use in this part of the world.

BTW, it means 'safe to drink'.

Before moving from the UK to Ireland we were using a britta filter and drinking water from the kitchen tap for over 10 years. Unfortunately it's the not the case here in our house in Clonmel, the house water isn't potable (limescale) so we have to buy bottled water every week. It's a shame because water is free Ireland and it would've saved us a lot of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cunningpard

[font=Acta-Book, serif]If you don't like your home's tap water and don't want to buy costly individual bottles of water or worry about replacing pitcher and faucet filters, a 5-gallon water cooler bottle may be the way to go. With an in-home water cooler, you'll always have fresh, cold water on hand. You can sign up with a bottled water delivery service that will bring the 5-gallon water bottles directly to your door as you need them. You will have to replace the bottles yourself, however, but the process should only take a few minutes and will work for most of the major water delivery service brands.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can sign up with a bottled water delivery service that will bring the 5-gallon water bottles directly to your door as you need them.

Welcome to boards. It might be worth reading the posts carefully before replying to a 12 month old thread.....
    Naderox wrote: »
    I've contacted many companies and they only deliver to office buildings, not houses.

Advertisement