Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine

Options
  • 08-11-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, I have had a Panasonic washing machine for 8 years and unfortunately it's about to die... I'm on the look out for a new machine and I'm wondering has anyone recently bought a Panasonic machine and from where and if they find it good? Also what is the best brand to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

we have a Zanussi
    14 years old
    finally giving a bit of trouble

on th elook out for black Friday..... going to stick with Zanussi, and none of the wifi stuff, just a gimmick that is bound to cause trouble down th eline

buy a quality brand and keep it simple is my opinion

but don't scrimp on price. we are looking around 500ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

AFAIK Panasonic were made by Gorenje which is a brand you don't seem to see here in Ireland under its own label. They've a very good reputation.

I would look at Bosch / Siemens in sales.

Don't be over wowed by some of the machines that have flashy controls. The Korean manufacturers in particular more or less just add tons of gimicky features and make the controls more like a mobile phone or tablet display. At the end of the day it's the mechanical aspects of a washing machine that count

If you compare Miele and Samsung, Miele looks boring and industrial but will work exceptionally well and last yonks. Samsung will have all the bells and whistles and look very futuristic.

Hotpoint and Hoover both rank relatively poorly and Hoover is just Candy. A lot of people seem to still think Hoover is the high quality brand it was back in the 70s and 80 when it was still owned by Maytag, who were like the American equivalent of Miele - a very high quality company.

The Electrolux machines (Electrolux, Zanussi and AEG) are generally very solid and reliable too.

Also BEKO isn't too bad.

Beware of brands you've never heard of or brands that have comeback from nowhere. they're usually just rebadging operations and you could be buying anything from a reasonable quality Gorenje or Beko to some ultra cheap Chinese machine.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hotpoint and Hoover both rank relatively poorly and Hoover is just Candy
    Hoover Candy has recently been acquired by Haier too, so it'll be interesting to see what changes may happen there.

All my kitchen appliances are Electrolux and I've been quite happy with all of them so far (just over 10 years). At the time, the 5 year warranty on them all had swayed me, though I see that new Electrolux washers only have a 2 year warranty now, which I think is a shame.

Advertisement