Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work on site before planning permission??

Options
  • 12-09-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me. A couple in the same village of us are going for planning permission in the next few weeks. For the past 2 months, they are getting the site ready. Mainly clearing it out for the trial hole, a drive way in and laying pipes for drainage and it is a very wet site. My question is can they do so much work to the site before the planning permission has been granted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

vwcorrado wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me. A couple in the same village of us are going for planning permission in the next few weeks. For the past 2 months, they are getting the site ready. Mainly clearing it out for the trial hole, a drive way in and laying pipes for drainage and it is a very wet site. My question is can they do so much work to the site before the planning permission has been granted?

Yes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The trial hole is usually dug as part of the site suitability assessment before a planning application is made.

See https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/planning/planning-applications/before-you-apply/site-suitability-assessment/
    Quote - " In all cases where an application involves a proposal to use a septic tank or other on-site treatment system, a site assessment is required. Applicants must carry out a site assessment in advance of making a planning application."

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

The trial holes do not require planning, the driveway and drainage does.

Edit: if it's a very wet site as you say, house application may get refused due to poor drainage for proposed septic tank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No planning required for the trial holes assuming they fill them back in afterwards. This removes the planning requirements for any alterations + or - 1m.

Laying the drainage is not strictly a planning matter as it can be considered civil works, same as it may not require a Commencement Notice.

Can you clarify the driveway bit. Creating a vehicular entrance requires planning. They may be just laying hard standing and depending on the area, this may not require planning either, iirc it’s 50% of the garden to the front of the building line.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vwcorrado

kceire wrote: »
    No planning required for the trial holes assuming they fill them back in afterwards. This removes the planning requirements for any alterations + or - 1m.

Laying the drainage is not strictly a planning matter as it can be considered civil works, same as it may not require a Commencement Notice.

Can you clarify the driveway bit. Creating a vehicular entrance requires planning. They may be just laying hard standing and depending on the area, this may not require planning either, iirc it’s 50% of the garden to the front of the building line.

They have dug out the drive way and laid stones and cleared a way into the site. The trees n the field have been cut down , there is an old house/barn on the field already and that has been left there. The trees along the ditch have been cleared and they have put in a lot of pipes to clear the water on site. I just didn't realise you could do that much work before the planning permission has been granted. I thought it was just the trial hole that could be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

They have dug out the drive way and laid stones and cleared a way into the site. The trees n the field have been cut down , there is an old house/barn on the field already and that has been left there. The trees along the ditch have been cleared and they have put in a lot of pipes to clear the water on site. I just didn't realise you could do that much work before the planning permission has been granted. I thought it was just the trial hole that could be done.

Any land owner can do this work without planning, why should these people be treated any differently?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Old house there already? Any such ground works then can be claimed as relating to that and therefore no planning required.

Advertisement