Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Products and Brexit

Options
  • 06-09-2019 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Most of the discussion I have heard has been about the supply chain, but it seems there is a major problem if the UK leaves without a deal.

".....from the date the UK leaves the EU:

UK ‘notified bodies’ will lose their status as EU ‘notified bodies’, that is, they will be unable to perform conformity assessment tasks for the purposes of the CPR

Irish ‘distributors’ of UK construction products may have additional obligations under the CPR as they may become ‘importers’

These changes may have an impact on the supply of construction products"

https://www.housing.gov.ie/corporate/brexit/brexit-construction-products-regulation

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hoagy wrote: »
    Most of the discussion I have heard has been about the supply chain, but it seems there is a major problem if the UK leaves without a deal.

".....from the date the UK leaves the EU:

UK ‘notified bodies’ will lose their status as EU ‘notified bodies’, that is, they will be unable to perform conformity assessment tasks for the purposes of the CPR

Irish ‘distributors’ of UK construction products may have additional obligations under the CPR as they may become ‘importers’

These changes may have an impact on the supply of construction products"

https://www.housing.gov.ie/corporate/brexit/brexit-construction-products-regulation

Yes, big problem.
    We have been mentioning it to contractors on site for the last 18 months or so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

My spec’s are saying something like, All products must have EC cert (or HEN letter) from EU member.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm a bit confused by this. Will this affect products currently on the market and certified able to be used, or is it only on new products going forward?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Blisterman wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by this. Will this affect products currently on the market and certified able to be used, or is it only on new products going forward?

My understanding is that current products that have already been bought and used will be ok. But to sell that same produc tomorrow they need an EU test. So the manufactures are currently running around Europe looking for test houses to get paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Update on this

Most of our affected UK materials (electrical) are certified by either BSI or ASTA.

BSI have opened a facility in the Netherlands so they can migrate all of their certs to their EU notified body.

ASTA is part of Intertek which is global and will continue to be an EU notified body.

Cables are mostly certified in mainland Europe anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement