Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disability Access Certificate for stepped entrance

• 01-09-2019 7:40pm

I'm submitting a change of use application form retail to office which will involve raising the ground floor by 500mm so that the basement level can used as office space.

I'm looking at Part M of the building Regs particularly sections

1.1.3.5 stepped access routes
    1.2.3 accessible entrances

Does anyone know what the general guidance is on stepped entrances at street level or if stepped entrances are specifically disallowed?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

brenbrady wrote: »
    I'm submitting a change of use application form retail to office which will involve raising the ground floor by 500mm so that the basement level can used as office space.

I'm looking at Part M of the building Regs particularly sections

1.1.3.5 stepped access routes
    1.2.3 accessible entrances

Does anyone know what the general guidance is on stepped entrances at street level or if stepped entrances are specifically disallowed?

If you are making the ground floor inaccessible just to create the basement, then it will be refused.

Can you not look at a different layout keeping the level entry and maybe increasing the floor height elsewhere once you proved all the services at the accessible level such as WC etc

kceire wrote: »
    If you are making the ground floor inaccessible just to create the basement, then it will be refused.

Can you not look at a different layout keeping the level entry and maybe increasing the floor height elsewhere once you proved all the services at the accessible level such as WC etc

There's already an existing step into the entrance at street level but what I was proposing was to raise the floor level by 500mm as you enter the property by having a landing which would accommodate a wheelchair lift which I thought would be a suitable workaround. I would then have WC on both floors so all services will be accessible on both levels.

I don't think there is much scope to redesign the layout without losing a significant amount of floor space which would defeat the whole purpose of raising the floor.

There's already an existing step into the entrance at street level but what I was proposing was to raise the floor level by 500mm as you enter the property by having a landing which would accommodate a wheelchair lift which I thought would be a suitable workaround. I would then have WC on both floors so all services will be accessible on both levels.

I don't think there is much scope to redesign the layout without losing a significant amount of floor space which would defeat the whole purpose of raising the floor.

That's more detail then what was posted in your first post.
    Based on that, it sounds possible.

Is it Dublin city?
    You can prepare your plans and email them to the Building Control Section for an opinion on particular aspects of your design. They wont go though the whole application but if you have concerns with the entrance for example, then they will discuss that with you.

Also worth noting, if there's an existing step, then there are allowances for existing buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Is it Dublin city?
    You can prepare your plans and email them to the Building Control Section for an opinion on particular aspects of your design. They wont go though the whole application but if you have concerns with the entrance for example, then they will discuss that with you.

Also worth noting, if there's an existing step, then there are allowances for existing buildings.

Thanks I'm also in the middle of something similar. Out of interest, would a wheelchair or platform lift be a work around for any set of internal steps? It was pointed out to me that some people with restricted mobility don’t like or can’t use ramps and prefer steps.

Thanks I'm also in the middle of something similar. Out of interest, would a wheelchair or platform lift be a work around for any set of internal steps? It was pointed out to me that some people with restricted mobility don’t like or can’t use ramps and prefer steps.

Depends on the building, design and layout and subsequent DAC Application.
    I can assure you, people in wheelchairs do not prefer steps.

• Advertisement

Is it Dublin city?

Thanks for this. Do you know what the allowances are for existing steps I can't find the section in Part M tgd? I measured up today and the existing step to the entrance is 170mm.

Thanks for this. Do you know what the allowances are for existing steps I can't find the section in Part M tgd? I measured up today and the existing step to the entrance is 170mm.

No specific allowance.
    If it’s the existing entrance, and they can’t be altered you have to clearly explain it in the application.

Advertisement