Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quote me a building regulation

• 20-08-2019 5:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what building or planning regulation is relevant which says what is allowed/not allowed regarding building a secondary chimney unofficially in a domestic property, whats allowed and how? anything relating to size limits, heights, smoke or combustion products, fire hazard, distances from property etc.
    Ive a neighbour who has built a chimney right next to our adjoining properties, I have now discovered they are a tenant and dont own the property.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1874 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what building or planning regulation is relevant which says what is allowed/not allowed regarding building a secondary chimney unofficially in a domestic property, whats allowed and how? anything relating to size limits, heights, smoke or combustion products, fire hazard, distances from property etc.
    Ive a neighbour who has built a chimney right next to our adjoining properties, I have now discovered they are a tenant and dont own the property.

First check if it requires Planning.
    Building Regulations to cover this would be Part A, Part B, Part J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Meant to follow up, I read through that, Part J appears the most relevant,
    Very informative, clear/easily understandable and helpful (the guidelines) for essentially a lay person.
    Do they have a basis in law? they must? surely? i.e. an SI or Act? Im sure they do as Im convinced I came across some information that I found where some guidelines were basically extracted from but cant locate now, the references section doesnt seem to refer to an Act or SI?

Im trying to see where the law is for it (in essence so I can point to it/refer to it) and for other information related to planning exemptions, the one other item in particular is Solar panels, where do County councils draw their guidelines from? which Act/SI, I dont expect they all have wildly different rules (although Im sure bye-laws might exist, it seems likely they would be reasonably similar).
    I found some information related to solar panels (planning exempt information) which state solar panels need to be 0.5 m from the edge of a property, I'm interpreting the edge as including the edge of an adjoining property.
    The reasoning for the allowable limits there isnt explained, but drawing my own conclusions, its for reasonable reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1874 wrote: »
    Meant to follow up, I read through that, Part J appears the most relevant,
    Very informative, clear/easily understandable and helpful (the guidelines) for essentially a lay person.
    Do they have a basis in law? they must? surely? i.e. an SI or Act? Im sure they do as Im convinced I came across some information that I found where some guidelines were basically extracted from but cant locate now, the references section doesnt seem to refer to an Act or SI?

Im trying to see where the law is for it (in essence so I can point to it/refer to it) and for other information related to planning exemptions, the one other item in particular is Solar panels, where do County councils draw their guidelines from? which Act/SI, I dont expect they all have wildly different rules (although Im sure bye-laws might exist, it seems likely they would be reasonably similar).
    I found some information related to solar panels (planning exempt information) which state solar panels need to be 0.5 m from the edge of a property, I'm interpreting the edge as including the edge of an adjoining property.
    The reasoning for the allowable limits there isnt explained, but drawing my own conclusions, its for reasonable reasons.

Planning and Development Act.
    Building Control Act.

kceire wrote: »
    Planning and Development Act.
    Building Control Act.

I had found some of the information I was looking for in the Planning & Development Act 2000.

When a property is attached, what does it mean when a distance is specified from the edge of a building?
    Ive found references which state a set distance from the edge of a building where it shows a detached dwelling.

For an attached dwelling, I would interpret the edge to mean the line that joins two attached properties, would that be correct?
    So if something is stated as having to be X distance in cm or M, from the edge, then that would mean it has to be the specified distance from the line that joins the two attached properties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rayjdav

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Just see your solar panel query now also..

Go down to 2(c) and it gives domestic limitations there..

Advertisement